States that can use Trail cams no Public Land

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MNhuntingRube, Jan 16, 2015.

1. MNhuntingRube

MNhuntingRube Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have Trail Cam Jealousy. I see all these pictures coming off of Trial cams and hear all the stories about how Trail cams help people to know what kind of Deer they have on their property and at what times they are most active.

I don't have a lease or my own land so I am out on the Public Land Wild West of Minnesota. I have an area that has a ton of sign great food sources water and possible bedding areas but I don't know when all the action is happening.

My question is How many states out there allow Trail Cams on Public land and Who like me in Minnesota just wants to scout an area but the DNR says nope you can't leave any personal property on WMA?

All comments are welcome.
    Thank you

2. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think you can in Iowa but I don't know if I would do it.. Ive had them stolen on my private land

3. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would put some cheap cams out anyway and they get stole or confiscated so be it, odds of one getting found are slim to none anyway...

We really need some uniformity on some of these stupid game laws...

4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The federal land I hunt does not allow trail cams. It is boot leather scouting only.

5. RocknMuzzy

RocknMuzzy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Out here is Washington State, I do most all my hunting on public land and we use trail cameras. I make sure that each camera has a chain and lock hooked to it and tucked away really well. So far (knock on wood) I haven't had any issues with theft and have got some very cool pictures. I agree with Martin, I would be tempted to put some cameras up anyway. Its not like they are being left with the intent of polluting the land or will they harm anything. And they can be removed if you see anyone tampering with them.

6. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are you sure you can not put a trail camera on state land? I don't know anyone who baits bear on public land in MN that does not leave a trail camera on it the whole time.

7. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Must just be WMAs?

8. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Based on what ive been told by the DNR headquarters, you can on most public land, but the DNR is not gonna be responsible if your trail cam gets stolen.

9. bz5119

bz5119 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A guy I know ;) puts them out on public land all the time in MN. Not WMAs though, mostly northern state forests.

10. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    a guy you know? riiiiiiigt..lol

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We can put them on Public land here in NC. If you do decide to use some, hang them high in the tree so it will make it hard for thieves to take them.

12. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I know that guy.

13. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used two on public land last year, lock boxes and cabled to the tree about 10 feet up angled downward with no issues. I jad a few people show up on film but elevating them reduces the theft/vandalism factor. I met a guy in the woods one day who had his cabled to the tree on a field edge at knee level, he said the MN DNR cut it off and left him a note tied to the tree saying he needed to contact them to get his cam back.
    I assume they are using the rule as it states in our book about not leaving tree stands out there for more than a day, it doesn't specifically say trail cams in the book but I see their reasoning. I'm sure they will directly deal with that issue in future reg books since they are cheaper now and effective, more people will use them for sure. I found a farm to hunt for very inexpensive about an hour north of the TC, I ran into too many bowhunters out there last season for me to want to hit the local spots.

14. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The guy we bear hunt with in MN leaves cams on the baits all the time.

On public in IL I've started taking my climber in to put cams about 12' up on tree. It's a little more time consuming to check cams, but it's good practice with the climber and an enjoyable short workout hiking in and out, and climbing up to check. Just keeps me ready for when it's time to hunt

15. TRBrew

TRBrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    On page 13 of the Montana Reg's Trail Cams are prohibited during hunting season.

"http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/regulations/"

Oly

16. MNhuntingRube

Dislikes Received:
    Well I emailed the DNR asking about putting up trail cameras on public land and I received a very well worded email basically saying you can't leave any personal property on public land.

17. MNhuntingRube

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I guess I should say on WMAs. I didn't ask specifically about state forests