Mathews NoCam HTR-my take and setup

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Trevor Olson, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Mathewshooter

Mathewshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I stopped by my local shop and shot one last week. My thoughts:

Smooth but stiff draw, kind of reminded me of the Z5 cams on my Carbon Spyder.

Quiet and vibe free at the shot, but not any more so than my CS34 or Switchback XT

To me, I didn't like the looks of it. It just looks weird in person. Maybe it will grow on me.

I thought the bow was slow, especially for a 2015 bow. It shot the same speed as my Switchback XT. This was with the 85% mods in it and my SBXT is 80% let off.

My overall opinion on this bow is that its a nice bow but there are better ones out there. I personally would rather shoot my SBXT, its the same speed, quiet and vibe free but the draw is not as stiff. Plus you can pick up a used one for about $400. Right now for me, the Xpedition Xcentric is the bow of the year. It beats the HTR in every category and is 30-40 FPS faster! I know speed doesn't matter to a lot of guys but with all things being equal, why would you not want to go with the faster bow? If you're looking for a new bow, do yourself a favor and try to shoot the Xpeditions before buying anything.

2. Revvv

Revvv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My 2007 single cam Bear Bow is shooting faster than the No Cam. That tells me that for 2015 I will continue to shoot my older bow.

My daughter wants a new bow for Christmas, I may have to snag one of these for her. 85% let-off is a positive for an 11 year old. Now I just need to see if I can get a set of 50lbs limbs that will back off to 40 - 45lbs for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMO, this is easily the best hunting bow out this year. I shot it side by side with my ChillR. The HTR has a far better draw cycle and so much quieter. I typically tune my hunting bows to shoot between 280 and 290 fps. I will have no problem achieving this with the HTR set at my specs.

I shot the demo bow through the chrono, 28" and 70lbs. Three shot average with a 470gr arrow was 265. That was with the 85% mods.

SCFox

4. Legion_Edge

Legion_Edge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoyed the bow as well I shot it the other day. And like everyone stated it is quiet.

5. TribalHunter

TribalHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    and i just got a Chill....smh..

6. BGarchery

BGarchery Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We are loving this bow. We have one in the shop now for customers to shoot. People are just amazed at how smooth and quiet it fires. The 85% let off is amazing. Mathews continues to impress with their innovation!

7. Warren p

Warren p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can't keep them in stock in My part of the country!! Everything I read on AT seems to be that way two around the country 6 to 8 weeks are more wait time. So they seem to be selling pretty darn well maybe it's just in your area?

8. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How do you do the signatures on the bottom of your posts?

9. Warren p

Warren p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go to your profile and on the left click on the little pencil it will open up your options.

10. B.Lewis

B.Lewis Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not a speed freak nor am I bias toward one brand or another. I shot them all before going with the HTR. Super quiet, felt great, and very accurate once sighted in after I took my blindfold off. I had my local bow shop blindfold me, bring out bows, and I shot them without me knowing what they were. i think some people are bias on one brand or another before even picking up the bow to get a review. I suggest you do it blindfolded and see what your results are. It may surprise you. Not saying that any of you guys are bias but it's a great way to eliminate brand bias and get the true review/feel for the bow. By the way, make make sure you have someone behind you to confirm your going to hit the target.

11. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the Prime Rival, Mathews NoCam, and Hoyt Nitrum Turbo. All were very smooth, even the Nitrum (though the one I shot had a strong deep vibration that stayed on the bow long after the shot was off). The Mathews was all it was cracked up to be regarding quiet. I really liked the Rival. IMO it was smoother than the NoCam and very quiet. For the money, it was a lot faster than the NoCam. Both had no felt vibration or jump. All were bare bow.

12. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I talked to a pro shopper before i ordered the no cam a month ago. it was IBOd at 330 fps with a 65%let off module. 85%let off was too smoothe, and it was fast like a dxt, so im getting my custom red lostcamo No cam is 72lbs,28inchdraw, with a 65%letoff module.

13. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just thought i'd share my experience. I'm also in the market for a new bow and am pretty set on getting the no cam. However I read alot how guys are really concerned about the speed. My current bow is a Hoyt Turbohawk set at 51 pounds. I went to the proshop here and said i'd like to shoot it once more but also shoot my arrow through a chrono as I didnt want to get a bow that was slower even though i'm not a speed freak as this bow is for hunting. I shot my Easton Axis 400 arrow weighing in at 386 grains which they told me was a heavy arrow. I shot my Hoyt first (51 pounds) and it chrono'd at 242fps. I then shot the Mathews No cam set at 53 pounds. Now heres the funny part..... (Duplicate). It shot the exact same thing. Guess you just had to be there to get the humor out of it. The Mathews No cam was by far easier to pull as well so i'll prolly have it at about 55 pounds by hunting season.

Anyways, Just thought i'd share as most of the stats posted are from guys pulling 65-70 pounds. So us smaller not so strong guys were kind of left in the dark.

14. GAshooter

GAshooter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot every new bow I was interested in. I'm looking for an all black bow for ground blind hunting. I initially looked at the no cam and disregarded it, it's ugly in my opinion and no faster than my Creed. I shot the Nitrum, the Synergy, and the new Bowtech to see what I thought. All great bows, liked the Nitrum of the bunch. I had to go have some work done on my Creed this weekend so I was in a Mathews dealer and he had a No Cam setup for demo. I finally shot it just to say I'd done so and to my surprise I really like how it draws and shoots. I still think it's ugly but the no cam might be an ugly duckling and grow on me. It's dead quiet, even more so than my Creed and really smooth, it's even quieter in the hand than the Creed on the shot with no residual vibration, which to be fair the Hoyt, Elite, and Bowtech are as well, but the Mathews just felt dead when it fires.

I was quite surprised to like it so much given my initial reaction to it, at least cosmetically.

I do wish I could get it blacked out, I can't find any of the bows I'm looking at in a completely black configuration. I don't need blue or red accents, black is fine. I don't need pseudo-carbon fiber limb paint, just give me plain old black.

15. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Works for me

I tried a lot of bows this year and I just liked the NO Cam HTR the best. The HTR's ease of setup and tuning were a big part of my decision. My second choice was the Hoyt Spyder Carbon ZT. I liked the clean lines of the Mathews better and the fact that it was so quiet. image.jpg

16. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Of all the posts and reviews I've read about the No Cam HTR, there is only one outcome: either love it or hate it. In the end, it only matters what the buyer thinks and the rest is just something else I guess.

I have two Hoyt Spyder's, one "regular" and one carbon. I shot a No Cam about 3 o 4 weeks ago, and currently have one on order...

17. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You're probably off because the IBO is at 65% let off and all bow come standard with 85% mods which gives it a 321 IBO

18. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nope, that was figured in. Thanks

19. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I got 279 fps when I calculated it so you're off on something if you had a different speed. It's only a few fps off when I calculated it.