Warm weather transportation

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by chinook4715, Jan 14, 2015.

1. chinook4715

chinook4715 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Im going to be hunting mostly state land next fall, and in the early season I was wondering how you guys and gals transport deer in warmer weather. I believe my state does not allow a deer to be quartered when transporting from the field, could be wrong though. Also will not really have the abbility to hang it.

eye <3 peanutbutter

2. JStarr

JStarr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If the deer runs off and crashes out of view. I will usually have a buddy come look for it with me and I will have him pick up a bag or two of ice and put them in the carcass.
    If I'm in a hurry. I will just gut it, throw it in the bed of the truck with a tarp covering it (not wrapped) and get it to the butcher.

How far are we talking?

3. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Take some 2 liter soda bottles and freeze them, put them in a cooler.
    That way you can put them in the cavity and not be out 6-7 bucks in ice every time you go out and don't get one.

4. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    another tip to add to this, add a 1/4 cup of salt to the water before you freeze it will be colder and stay froze longer..

5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here in Maryland when the season starts, its usually 80 - 90 degrees the first couple weeks. So with in the first couple hours after shooting a deer I will check it in and skin and quarter it up. Then put it in a cooler with ice and leave it in there for a few days. I just keep adding ice as needed, Then butcher.

6. chinook4715

chinook4715 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys!! Anyone familiar with the MN transportation laws? Ive never really had to worry about warm weather when deer hunting since ive been a rifle hunter up until now.

eye <3 peanutbutter

7. MartinHunter

Dislikes Received:
    are you talking....Into the state, out of the state or around the state?

8. chinook4715

chinook4715 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Around the state.

eye <3 peanutbutter

9. MartinHunter

Dislikes Received:
    i would check the regs..... or..... where are all the MN guys there are bunch of them on here..

I would bet the same as here though... as longs as it tagged and a legal kill you can haul it anyway you like... I personally like to haul mine in the bed of my truck with gate up to keep it away for prying eyes or non-hunters not antis but non-hunters.. I ice it down so the meat cools fast and try and get it to a cooler asap.. If I am hauling it on a hitch rack I try and cover the deer so the whole world doesn't have to look at it.. No sense in turning non-hunters into anti-hunters.. I know many just don't care, but we need as many on our side as we can get..

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015