info needed regarding eye dominance

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by mooselin, Jan 8, 2015.

1. mooselin

mooselin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ready to buy my first bow but this is the last thing holding me back -- turns out I'm left eye and right hand dominant and I'm getting enough feedback from different directions that I need more hardcore feedback from a better selection of individuals.

When I first picked up a (RH) bow, I tried shooting with both eyes open as instructed and veered horribly off to the side until I gave into instinct and shut my left eye -- and suddenly had the ability to aim back. Tried a LH bow and I just kept veering and I keep veering even though I've been giving it a good college try. I have no experience shooting anything else but now I also wonder if it has anything to do with my actual vision, since I'm near-sighted in my left eye (the dominant) but farsighted in my right eye and I've yet to talk to anyone personally with that quirk as well. Should I just work harder to shoot with both eyes open by switching to a LH bow or try something else?

It's pretty much the last thing holding me back from my first bow.

2. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly as generic as this is going to sound, keep trying both as much as possible at different distances until you find what's most comfortable for you.

3. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tough choice. I'm near sighted in both eyes but shoot a RH bow with left eye dominance. Never could get used to shooting a LH bow. Today I have no issues shooting with both eyes open under most circumstances. The only time is the last 10 minutes of shooting light. I need to squint my left eye a bit.

Nothing says you can't be a good shot using only one eye. There are obviously advantages to having both open but it is not critical.

Much like grabbing the riser as the bow releases, you will have to resist the urge to open the left eye upon release. Practice, practice, practice.

Oh, one other thing, you REALLY have to stare at the target until you get it down pat.

4. American Honky

American Honky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm left eye dominant and insanely right handed. It's often encouraged to cater to the dominant eye and shoot a left handed bow, but for me it was easier to retrain my eyes than my hands. I worked extremely hard to retrain my eyes and was successful. I shoot a right handed bow very well and have no issues. Same story with my rifles, shotguns, and handguns. This worked for me... good luck!

5. dorobuta

dorobuta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was in the same boat until I had my lasik surgery. They were able to help me change my dominant eye to my right eye.

not sure exactly how they did it, but whatever they did, worked.

6. American Honky

American Honky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Holy crow!! Seriously???? I didn't even know that could be done!!!

7. stro1965

stro1965 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a left handed bow and am right eye dominant. I have to close my right eye.

8. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am left handed right eye dominant but shoot with both eyes open and can shoot with either hand. Shooting with both eyes open takes practice but works well for being opposite eye dominant.

Hutch

9. Barnett

Barnett Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I actually just left my local Matthews dealer, after shooting both right and left handed bows, I went with the left handed bow, due to my eye lol. The advice he gave me was to shoot the bow as much as possible and get comfortable. Hope this helps