Classy FSU...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Matt, Jan 1, 2015.

1. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sportsmanship? Respect?

What did you coach? Prison basketball team?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nope, I have had more negative interactions than positive over the years. My favorite was the coach yelling at me for passing the ball the whole 4th quarter when my team was up by 14 then 21 then 28. I explained that I let my 12 year old QB call his own plays once we were up by 14, so basically a 12 year old was tearing up and making adjustments that the adult d coordinator was scheming.

I understand sportsmanship when I coached I did not tolerate unsportsmanlike behavior. I simply stated my feelings on it, like I said I have more negative interactions than positive ones.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Basketball was worse than football.

4. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With shaking hands at the end of a game?

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yep coaches complaining, making negative comments, etc. while shaking hands. Heard many players talk smack etc. Our society is much less civil, polite, and sportsman like than when I competed 30 years ago.

6. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  7. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fisher had to choose between winning and having some class, and he chose winning.... Plain and simple... His choice, and my choice and many others to have no respect for him for that choice... FSU showed that FOOTBALL is more important than morals or principles.

With that sad sorry attitude, I hope you're coaching a dog-sledding team or something... A handshake at the end of the game is about sportsmanship and respect. Showing that despite the fierce competition that may have occurred on the field that we still respect you as fellow competitors... As a young man, I was one of the nastiest players that may have ever played football in the games I played, but when the whistle blew at the end of the game, the other guys were fellow young men who loved the same game I loved, played the same game I played, and while 3 minutes ago you may have thought I was trying to tear your head off, it was all in the spirit of competition.... I loved smashing a guy into the ground, then offering him my hand to pick him up and let him know I'd see him on the next play.... And more often than not I DID, but at the end of he game, I offered that same player my hand in a handshake and sign of respect, if you don't "see the point," then you don't really respect the game or the competition.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Did you bother to read the rest of my response? I would bet while in a conversation you don't listen you just wait to talk.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015