Bow for my wife

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MO Shorthair, Dec 27, 2014.

1. MO Shorthair

MO Shorthair Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My wife is showing some interest in shooting here lately. My step daughter is shooting a genesis for the archery in school program and my wife has shot that bow several times. We went to a local store hoping to shoot a Mission flare and a Diamond Infinite Edge, but they were packed and I didn't want to wait an hour for her to shoot. What are some thoughts on reasonable bow set ups for women? I am wanting to stay under $450 for everything. She may never hunt but I think she would like shooting and possibly doing an occasional 3d shoot. If she doesn't stay interested, I have two young boys and an 11 year old that could inherit the bow in a couple years.

2. dtimm77

dtimm77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The hoyt ignite is a good bow. Can go from 15 to 70 lbs and draw length for kids to adults. So if your wife doesn't like it maybe a kid will use it.
    http://www.hoyt.com/compounds/ignite

3. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Its awesome that your wife and daughter are showing interest in archery! I`m surrounded by a wife and 3 teenage duaghters that could care less about archery! Good for you and hope they stick with it! As for a bow set up for girls, the Diamond infinite edge sounds real good. Sorry, not a clue when it comes to women using bows, mine hate when I even talk about it!! LOL best of luck!

4. PipeFighter

PipeFighter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the same boat. Wife and three daughters with none of them interested in hunting/shooting.

5. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The diamond edge u mentioned is an awesome starter bow for women or kids....you can back poundage way down until she learns form and then go up gradually to a hunting weight if she wants....for the money it's hard to beat

6. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hoyt Diamond edge is what I tried talking my girlfriend into buying when she got her bow. She was stuck on crossbows unfortunately :(.. But they're one of the best starter bows on the market right now and I don't think they're too hard on the pockets either.

7. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    my wife has a hoyt charger and she loves it!! i shot it to and its extremely smooth and easy to pull. Never can go wrong with a Hoyt IMO

8. Deercrazy21

Deercrazy21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Diamond is a great bow. That's what I started and for the past 7 years have been using mine. Great bow

9. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    my wife loves her new PSE Fever 1.....

10. MO Shorthair

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input I think we are going to look at the diamond. I will let you guys know what we end up doing

11. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You can't go wrong with a diamond infinite edge! Just like they said, its adjustable and won't break the bank.

12. short69

short69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are a few bows in the Mission line that are adjustable in both draw weight and length to accomodate most everyone and the kids can grow with the bow. The prices are comparable to the Diamond also.

13. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bear, Mission and Diamond make bows that are adjustable from 15-70 lbs approximately and go from 15-30" draw lengths. I'd try them all and then go with the one she is most comfortable. Archery is part mind game and if you don't like ur bow you will not have faith in it or want to shoot it.

14. ILbowhunter

ILbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Of the current bows, I recommend the BowTech Fuel, or the Diamond Infinite Edge. My daughter loves IE, and it is very adjustable so it will fit nearly anyone. However, I have heard that BowTech is discontinuing the Infinite Edge and releasing a new, updated version at the ATA show, so you may want to hold out a week or two if you haven't bought it already. I'm not 100% sure this will happen, but I have read that.

15. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife was shooting a hoyt kobalt...2010 or 2011 model I think. Great little bow for a beginner. 17-29" draw adjustable and 50 lb limbs. She harvested her first deer with it this year. We have since sold it and she is looking at the bowtech carbon rose and mathews chill SDX. She wanted something "cuter and not so noisy." Our only complaint on the hoyt kobalt, was that it seemed very loud when shot next to my Z7X. Other than that it was a great bow, with plenty of adjustability for a beginning bowhunter. It was also very friendly on the wallet. I think we gave $250 for it new in box off eagle archery three years ago. This kansas buck didn't seem to mind the extra noise either!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419917857.229899.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419917876.858875.jpg

16. MO Shorthair

Dislikes Received:
    I have decided to look at the Hoyt Ignite that dtimm77 suggested and I am selling my old Mathews Drenalin which I hope can bring enough to maybe upgrade a little bit. She liked a Hoyt we saw in a shop that had purple accents. :)

17. SRArney12

SRArney12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought my wife the hoyt ignite last summer and she loves it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk