Opinions on head shots with gun.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by LilSiman/OH, Dec 19, 2014.

1. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very well said! I agree 100% on your "no wasted meat" point.

2. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    lol only with my sling shot at 100 yds... I do it all the time

yer "buddy" is a dumbass... get some new friends

3. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My FIL brags about shooting does in the head with a gun. A couple weeks ago I got pics of a doe on my trail cam with her jaw barely hanging on. He never said anything about shooting one, so it made me wonder. I told him about the pic and he started acting funny. Turns out that he was the one that shot her. Sure didn't hear him bragging about that one. I'm sure she is dead by now, there was no way she could eat or drink.

4. Govtrapper

Govtrapper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have before an when I shoot I'm very sure of my shot. If I don't I shoot behind the shoulder but with a rifle I prefer the neck shot just my preference. The rifle I shoot I'm very good with I don't miss like I said if I'm not comfortable with the shot I don't take it. My deer don't move they fall in their tracks

5. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Huh?....

6. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Smaller percentage of success, no head shots for me.

7. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    With a bow, bp, rifle i pretty much aim behind the shoulder. That said, I've killed several deer with (bp/rifle) with neck shots inside of 75 yards and if I'm hunting with buckshot/shotgun I'm almost always aiming for the head/neck or where the neck meets the body...lethal.

8. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And lungs are not? lethal?

9. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Head is a no go. 2" low and a deer is starving to death. A long painful drawn out death is not humane.

Plus the head is always moving around and is a small target.

10. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We had a guy do it on our farm this year and he was told by some members it wasn't ok.

11. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And also should be shown the countless deer that have brain showing, eyes missing, ears blown off or no lower jaw dying a terribly slow death......most ethical my A**!!! You're friend is the type I refuse to call fellow hunters.

12. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sadly, the d'bags that take this shot don't even understand bullet trajectories from my experience and couldn't tell you where their gun hits at 10,30,60,75 yards etc. They just hold dead on not realizing a rifle doesn't shoot "flat" and in most cases is off a few inches at different yardages dependant on how they are sighted in.

13. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think this thread needed to be created to get a good opinion on what is the right thing to do in that situation...

14. str8shooter

str8shooter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For every inch of head there is a foot of chest. For most people I would say no to head shots.
    That being said, I do and have taken precision shots that are ranged and scope doped for said shot. I have taken 6 deer over the years with head shots with 223 caliber in the head. Never missed and never wounded. I have actually seen more deer wounded with chest shots hitting guts etc. Any poorly taken shot has the potential to horribly wound the animal. I shoot all the time and am well aware of the dope needed for any shot out to 250 yards and am comfortable hitting it in a 2" circle. Which is what you need for a brain shot. I aim for the brain and if high then no problem and if low then still kills the deer without wounding.
    This is for precision gun only never bow.

15. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you are as good as you say, take out the heart and have a little margin for error.

16. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have a former sniper hunting with us and he doesn't condone head shots and he was the one that jumped the club member that did take the head shot.
    A head moves more than any part of a deer. Really doesn't make sense to aim for it.

17. str8shooter

str8shooter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Like I said, most people have no business taking this shot. And I have taken heart shots with the 223 in the past but I also use the 223 for turkey and hog head shots. Late season hunting. While I am encouraged that a lot of people here are into very ethical hunting, it is enlightening that to answer the OP and be flamed for being honest. I never have taken a shot that is questionable due to range of shot, wind conditions etc. Everything is run thru my ballistic calculator. If I have to pass on a shot I will and have. Now when hunting with my 270 or black powder etc., they have different variables that must be accounted for.
    Some people consider compound or crossbows unethical. Others modern black powder rifle's are not ethical and should be old school guns. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if they are doing it ethically all the better.

18. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I truly believe this is an ego thing when someone takes a head shot. To be able to brag about shooting the deer in the head. That excuse BS about no wasted meat is a joke. I argued with a D BAG this year that bragged about shooting a doe in the head with his bow. I don't care if you made the perfect shot and dropped the deer in their tracks, it isn't necessary. You know we aren't going to hear the horror stories when they F*** up and wound the deer on the shot. If we had a poll on this and asked if you thought a person taking this shot was a D BAG I bet it would be well over 90%.

19. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stupid.

/Thread

20. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Freaking guys watching to many movies ....