Does anyone NOT use a stabilizer?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by r0scoe, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been shooting bows a long time, about 33 years (I started around age 10 I think). I have learned for my shooting, not punching X's in a target situation, even out to the 50 yards I regularly practice at, I have not had a hunting bow yet that I NEEDED a long stabilizer on. I mostly use one honestly for a little vibration absorption, to hold my wrist sling, and because I think hunting bows look a little weird without one LOL. That's the sad truth, it wouldn't be hard for me to give up using one on my hunting bows if I ever wanted to.

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There's a 6" on my elk bow (ballistic) sighted out to 80. None on my z7x for Whitetail, which is sighted to 50.

3. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Every time you post picture it's of a different bow. How can you know what you shoot best, you change bows like my wife changes purses LOL.

5. Brian_Mc

Brian_Mc Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just did an experiment with my Hoyt Charger. I had the cheap Fuse 6" Blade stab on it... only weighs 4.5 oz. Changed it out with an old stab I have (think its an old Doinker) that weighs 10.5 oz and is 7.5" long. The bow felt a lot more stable with the old one. I may look for a 8" B-stinger!

6. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    This one I'm setting up for hunting 3d and indoor. I've had the same bows since July.

7. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    And I have a baseline. My quest torrent was my favorite bow ever. Loved the draw cycle, the grip and the wall. Shot that bow better than any high end bow. That is what I measure all bows against. And the one that has come closes thus far is this prime impact. Makes sense since they are from the same company but the prime is just a duped up version of that bow.

8. Revvv

Revvv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I didn't have a stabilizer I wouldn't be able to mount my wrist sling. I also believe in trying to get every ounce of help I can from the tools available to me. I use a stabilizer for the utility of a sling mount, and the added benefit of vibration dampening. I don't have enough weight or length mounted to affect stability or accuracy.

9. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    If you just want to hold a wrist sling in place, a mounting bolt for a rest is the correct thread.

10. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Something has to hold my wrist strap on. That's the only reason I have one. Every now and then I forget to use the wrist strap and drop my bow. At least I know I am not torqueing it.

11. rebelcarnage

rebelcarnage Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Right now I shoot a Trophy Ridge Static 9", its light weight but still adds enough balance to help me hold my pin on the target at 90 yds. I plan on getting another 6" static to add on to the front of the 9. Withh the 4 weights it should be around 5-7 oz of weight on the front.

Attached Files:

12. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My wife prefers shooting without and one, she seems to be more accurate that way. I prefer shooting with one, don't know why.

13. Deercrazy21

Deercrazy21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot with both and cant tell any difference. I think they are all for looks that's why I left mine on haha:lol:

14. dwitt2n

dwitt2n Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ...I shoot with a quiver & 5 arrows (hunting setup) all the time, so for me it's what I'm used to. I've tried stabilizers them over the years and the quiver works for me. I would say try a stabilizer & then without one, try with a quiver then without one. Whichever feels best and shoots best is what you want in the end. Good luck and safe hunts.