Disc for ATV / Subcompact Tractor?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Nissen121523, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Nissen121523

Nissen121523 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking for a small disc (NOT 3 PT) that i could hook up to a 12 HP kubota subompact tractor. I know 12 HP isn't all that strong, but I feel this kubota should be able to pull some of the small ATV discs that are on the market. My goal is to pull a disc over plots and THEN to put the tiller on and use that. Using the tiller out of the gate tends to be a little hard on the equipment.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for good, small, quality made discs that a 12 HP kubota should be able to handle?

2. KHNC

KHNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you were in NC , I have one that id sell you for 100 bucks including a weight kit installed. I have close to 800 in it. Just don't use anymore. Its the flip over style with wheels on it. text me if you have a nc connection. 828 674 6752

3. Robson

Robson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 42" KingKutter I pull behind a Polaris 400. After adding about 100lbs of weight, it works pretty great. New ground definitely takes a while to get worked up, but once the plot has been planted a few times they work up great year-after-year. I bought mine off craigslist for $250, but I see they are quite a bit more nowadays. They only issues I see in using it w/ a 12 hp tractor is speed. Its my opinion that the faster you go, the better the disc works. Link is below

http://kingkutter.com/store-product.aspx?id=3407

4. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  5. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I own a Mossy Oak Tufline disc which works well. It is 50 inches wide I believe and weighs about 500lbs. No weight is needed in the disc. I will say that your speed with a tractor may be an issue as I to believe that the disc work the best at a higher speed. I pull mine with a Polaris 850 XP or Polaris 700 Sportsman. I have done this for about 10 years with out any issues.

6. Nissen121523

Nissen121523 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you think a Polaris 570 has the plums to pull that disc?

7. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it can pull it, I don't know if it can pull it effectively though. Might be hard on your machine. I'd play it safe and take extra passes with a smaller disc than have to do major repairs on the transmission or engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wisconsin, Just south of the Green Bay Packers.
    I have a 60" flip over disc that I used behind my Polaris magnum 425 6x6. I used it one season and found a bigger one for the tractor. I made a angle iron frame on top of it to add up to 5 cinder blocks for weight. I would be willing to sell it if you are interested in it. Just send me a pm.

Beefie

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  9. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How much are you asking for it? If he doesn't want it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nissen.....I think your 570 would pull it but like some have said it may be hard on the transmission. If you have low range like some of the bigger machines do, you should be alright. I believe Mossy Oak recommends 500 CC and bigger for their disc.

11. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wisconsin, Just south of the Green Bay Packers.
    This is the one I have. Farm Star Disk Harrow - 5ft. Width, Model# 940420. 5' flip over disc..jpg I see they are selling for 650 new these days. Like I said I made a angle iron frame for when the wheels are up to put on more weight with cinder blocks. I also changed the hitch to a strait pull with a trailer hitch coupler. It worked good but I have since got a bigger one for my tractor.

If some one was inquiring about a price on this just send me a pm.

Beefie