Coyote Problems

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by DanielBrown, Dec 1, 2014.

1. DanielBrown

DanielBrown Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have just got a new place to hunt. Great place, Oaks galore and a great pine valley that is heavily bedded in. The only problem is, Coyotes are all over. The owner said that he found 6 dead fawns this spring and just this past week I have seen 7 coyotes while hunting. Their tracks are all over. My neighbor recently shot a small doe. It was not the best shot so I told him to give it a few hours and that I would help him find it that evening. However when we went out that evening, we found his deer. But the coyotes had already gotten at it. By the tracks, we counted 10 coyotes. We hear them every night and like I said, we see them all the time. Wandering what the best way to get rid of coyotes would be. I plan on hunting them this off season. What kind of baits should I use? Or is trapping a better option.

2. woodsy211

woodsy211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Set up a carcass baitpile, good way to get them in for a shot. Predator calling works well, but takes a lot of practice. If u just want them gone, see if a local trapper would help. They can be tricky critters to hunt and trap.

3. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    unless you have a lot of time and already have the calling gea, if you dont then trapping is definetly your best bet

4. American Honky

American Honky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here in Maine our coyote problem is so big that for $2 you can night hunt the dang things... bait pile with a night vision scope works best. If you set out a bait pile you'll have to hang a dead crow from stick in the middle of it or they'll clean the pile up. Another thing to do it cable up your carcasses... coyotes will drag them back into the woods to eat, which obviously hurts your chances at a shot. Another thing we do is freeze meat in a five gallon bucket of water (basically making a meat popsicle) and hook it to the bait pile... makes it hard for them to quickly eat and run. Do anything you can to keep them at the bait for more than eight seconds.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm going to give trapping a try. It doesn't look terribly hard and it gives you a chance to catch that coyote 24/7. Hunting them is fun, but your only looking at taking one or two off a place at a time. Trapping seems to give you a better chance to actually thin them out.

6. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Let me tell you right off the bat, Coyotes are smart, they are hard to call in and hard to trap. You can't just go out and shoot them or trap them, you need experience. I would say trapping is more effective if you are good at it. Watch a ton of youtube videos on calling and trapping, they helped me out a lot.

7. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    AR-15, Spot light, electric calls, and a gut pile.

We are lucky in MI and can hunt them at night during the winter months. Always a good start talking with the neighbors to see if they have any experience yote hunting, more than likely they'd be happy to help.

8. josh97

josh97 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Coyote trapping

Trapping should always be your go to option. Go get a fey MB 550s those are the best all around trap. For the majority of coyotes just a simple dirt hole will work. dig a baseball sized hole at the base of object (so the critter can only get the bait from the front. Dig a small depression to bed the set trap in. cover it lightly with dirt. Stick any kind of bait down the hole and you're good. Coyotes are smart and you might need to modify this to catch the smarter ones. Any other questions you have just ask me.

9. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    same problem here. We killed on last night. I plan on shooting them every time I see them and trapping during the off season

10. JrodC

JrodC Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree trapping would be the best bet. Although you can also put out bait but they may only come into it at night but if you shoot at them you wanna make sure you kill them they learn really fast ecspecaily from gun shots so if you do a bait pile put in a place you can ambush them to make a clean kill at a range close and easy for you. You could also ask around to see if there are any coyote hunters in your area that may use dogs if that's legal in your area but you can do all these you can never have to many ways to kill them.

11. Coyotekiller

Coyotekiller Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Calling them is super fun, we call in lots of them during the winter. Easy to call when uneducated. When there educated there still callable. Trapping works to, but calling is more fun lol, we shoot a few off deadpiles but call most of them

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014