Team 26 - Blood Stained Vanes

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by Jimmany, Aug 18, 2014.

1. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Bloodcrick, best of luck with your neck issue.

2. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome bloodcrick. Great buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good work Crick!

I just got back to work after my Huntcation. Unfortunately, it didn't go so well. I only saw 5 deer near my stand. 3 of them were does that were running through, literally running and nowhere even close to an attempt at a shot. The other 2 were small bucks and they were too small to take.

Not sure how much I'll get to go yet. I'm sure my hunts aren't over and I'm planning on taking a doe at least. Still some time left, just need the deer to cooperate.

4. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Figured I'd should check in as well, nice buck Crick.
    Bad news, one of my spots is being logged as well, partially, not full out logging. That's all the bad news I have, so not really any bad news.
    Good news: I have plenty of meat in freezer. I have not been out since I got that last doe. Been doing family stuff and generally relaxing.
    I was offered 100 acres to hunt in Montgomery County, very good size deer out there, and said it is over loaded with deer. It's a 45+/- min drive, and I have no other info to go off of. I have to call the husband and get more details l before I head out there. My wife is actually the one who go the info. She works at a local flower shop and the owners mother is the land owner. They love having my wife around and it seems to have worked out well for me. I got that info over a week ago, still haven't made the time to get out there. I know I know, why wait on piece of gold. I am making that call this week sometime, hopefully they already have stands out that will not mind me using, if not, I'll pack my climber. There is one other person that hunts it, but from what I'm told, he hunts very rarely.
    I may have a mis-understanding of the contest rules as well.That buck I shot, is that my "buck" or is it technically my replacement 50 for a the doe using the fergie clause? Can I enter a larger buck and get the full points?
    Good luck to everyone, and hope everyone who has injuries heals up fast.

5. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    You shot a buck and entered it. You can still enter a doe for 50 or another buck but he will count for 50 no matter his score. So go ahead and enter your other doe

6. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to get this off my chest. I feel like an idiot, I know its not a big deal, its just a fun contest. I assumed that the "fergie" clause covered both sexes, thought because it scored under 50, it would not be counted as the main buck score. My mistake, even after I asked questions about it.
    This is my first contest year, no excuse, just feel really dumb, I swear I'm not this much of a nit wit in real life. I did not take contest pictures of doe two. I did the turkey contest was able to navigate that with ease, do not know why deer is giving me such a hard time. I have plenty of time and tags left for the season. I'm after a trophy now, so I'll at least get us 100 points.
    I felt like I was being a crappy team mate and don't want that stipulation going forward.

7. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Don't worry about it at all, everyone makes mistakes. You have points on the board; in my book that's a great team member.

8. purebowhunting

Dislikes Received:
    Took the gun out chasing whitetails for the first time in about ten years. Went back on some public land I hunted during bow season into an area I never set foot in. Got there about two hours before daylight, real slow morning with my first sighting being around 11:00. Just before 2:00 I had a doe and a fawn come out followed by a solid 8 point. Took a 60 yard shot quartering too and he took off then bedded after about 30 yards. He then got up and walked off through such thick brush I couldn't get a shot. At POI there was hair and no blood, at his bed no blood. I followed his tracks in the slow, no blood. After about 80 yards there he laid. I had a mile drag from there. Fun hunt, probably be gun hunting public much more in my future[​IMG]

9. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Man that's a beauty of a buck! I went to sight my shotgun in the other day (put the scope on it 2 years ago) haha.

Hopefully I can get back to hunting soon. Between work and my girls starting basketball, I've been too busy to make it out.

10. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job on the deer guys. I will be going out tomorrow. There has been some nice buck activity at some of the scrapes.

11. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    congrats pure, nice Buck there! Well im back to work and neck is feeling better since the break. Might try another Doe hunt in the late season!

12. KDORSETT12

KDORSETT12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No deer yet, but shot a decent hog with the shotgun the other day hogzilla.jpg

13. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Holy smokes that thing is massive!!
    My buddy shot a big florida hog a few years ago.

My season has pretty much been a nightmare. I have a big buck that I know is still alive and in the area, but my neighbors have been hunting and that pretty much cuts off the deer supply to my woods.

14. WIHoytHunter

WIHoytHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I haven't been on the forum in a while but I was busy getting stuff done around the house before our baby was born. We were blessed with a healthy baby boy the day before gun opener here in WI. That being said, my rifle stayed in it's case this year. I'll be out and about late season bow hunting though.

15. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    Hey thats awesome! Congrats man!

16. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Not much activity lately. I've let a few doe walk. Waiting on the big buck to stumble upon me. Last weekend the wind was kicking pretty good. I was going to shoot one of these doe, but was hoping a buck was behind them, so I took my phone out. They are dead down wind of me, never busted me, but the wind seemed to have them nervous. I've been pretty happy with smoking my gear.
    Had to use Facebook to show video. Should be public so you can see it.
    [video]https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10203234484567614&l=8082314188659946965[/video]

17. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    Well Ill be back out tomorrow evening but for Fall Turkey! I will probably try for another Doe later on!

18. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Today is my second to last day of work. Last day in the plant at least. I have to make one trip up north to a supplier but that will only take a couple of hours.

tomorrow I head out to Maryland for a few days. Going to get 3 days of duck and 1 day of deer in. When I get home it will be weather dependent on what gets hunted.

Have a Merry Christmas you guys if I don't hear from you beforehand.

19. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck, it seems we have all slowed down quite a bit. I'll be out Saturday and going to get some time in before Christmas.
    Merry Christmas to all, hope to see some more deer.

20. purebowhunting

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck! I still plan to take a doe over the next few holiday weeks. Haven't been out much lately, but need to get back in the saddle. Still have standing corn around the property so a doe kill shouldn't be to rough. Picked up a FoxPro so will start trying to thin down the predator population also.