New Hunter Questions

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by Schrapnel, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Schrapnel

Schrapnel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good Morning! My wife and I are new to the bow hunting world and we have a few questions we need answered. Being a rifle hunter, I know I love hunting and my wife loves the outdoors so bow hunting is our next evolution. With that out of the way, the questions we need answered are the following. Thank you in advance for your replies and have a great day!

1. What sort of bow and arrow rig should we get? I have a 31+ inch draw length (we haven't measured her's yet), and we are looking at longer ranged arrow shots. By that, I mean in the neighborhood of 50 to 70 yards. For me, it is less important to have a bow that is easy to draw back than it is for her. My focus is on one shot, one kill at range. For her bow, the focus is more about getting a bow that is easy for a small woman to draw back, capable of one shot, one kill around at least average yardage and will cultivate her love of hunting in general. We are considering PSE archery bows because we live near one of their major distribution points and getting service for them would be easy for us but we will consider all recommendations equally.

2. Lastly, we both wear prescription glasses. Can anyone recommend a good pair of prescription glasses that we can get for men and women that wont interfere with the bow during shot release. Again, thank you so much for all of your help and happy and safe hunting!

2. American Honky

American Honky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome aboard! A huge part of what makes a good bow good is the service you get from the proshop with it...if you can get above average service with PSE, definitely consider them... In concerns to glasses, I used to hunt with glasses and HATED EVERY SECOND of it. They fogged up with my facemask on, binoculars were a challenge, etc, etc. I switched to contacts... best thing I ever did. Good luck to you both!

3. dhd

dhd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Somewhere in the woods, though, that position may
    Welcome.

My advice would be find a good pro shop and start shooting bows, for you and your wife both. There is no magical bow that everyone likes, it's how YOU like it, good luck in your search.

On glasses, I'd try to switch to contacts, I can't think of anyone who bow hunts with glasses on, they fog way to easy.

4. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    welcome to the forum

5. Schrapnel

Schrapnel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    American, thank you for your reply. I am sorry that it took me this long to read it. Okay, so the moral of the story from both yourself and DHD is to get into a good Pro-Shop. With that in mind, considering that I am again, new to bow hunting, is there anything specific that I should look for in an upper level Pro-Shop? Is there anything that I should avoid when it comes to looking for our bows?

6. Schrapnel

Schrapnel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    DHD, thank you for your answer to my question. It seems that yourself and American are in agreement on both the Bows and the Glasses. Back to contacts for me. What would you recommend that I look for in a good Pro-Shop?

7. Schrapnel

Schrapnel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you sir.

8. American Honky

Dislikes Received:
    If they're not willing to spend time with you they're not what your looking for. A pro shop that only wants to take your money and give you average customer service isn't where I'd go. A pro shop that gives you phenomenal customer service for your money is what you want to find. Someone who is willing to spend the time with you to answer questions, maybe even knowing you won't buy that day, is a good guy to do business with.

9. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good advice right there :tu:

10. Schrapnel

Schrapnel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    American, thank you again. I understand the Pro-Shop customer service thing. Hopefully I will be able to find one that is willing to sit with me and discuss the details. Should I concentrate on Pro-Shops with ranges for shooting?

11. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think the other guys have given very good advise on the bow shopping. On the glasses part, I know Todd Graff wears goggles that he swears by. I'm not sure what kind or brand they are but if you were to create a post on, say the bowhunting forum I'm sure someone will have the answer for you.

12. American Honky

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, if they have a range you're better off again. If you don't have any bow experience it's not a bad idea to get the feel of a couple. Bows are like cars sort of... they each handle a little differently