Team Nock Outs - 7

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by jfergus7, Aug 18, 2014.

1. MNElkNut

MNElkNut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    nice hat! nice bow!

2. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I had to borrow a hat and a bow to get the job done, if I would known that earlier maybe this season would have gone different!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Here's my right up-

My goal for thanksgiving break was to put down a doe. After more than 100 hours in the stand I was ready to end my chase at a big buck even if that meant shooting a doe, especially since I haven't shot a deer with my bow yet. When I got home on Wednesday I decided to practice a little. Turns out it was a good idea as I was 4-6" off at 20 yards. I was going to start from square one and tune my bow back down to 62 pounds and 100 gr arrows since that's where I was shooting the best. Since it was Thanksgiving though I didn't have a lot of time so my brother offered me to use his Z7. So I took him up on that offer and got comfortable shooting it in the back yard.

On black friday I got out to one of our food plots and had deer all over me. Does, fawns, even a buck that I couldnt get intorange or even see how big he was just that he had horns and worked a scrape. I had a small doe coming into the plot and it would have been a 20 yard shot but while I was taking my glove off she busted me. Good thing I didn't shoot her because her fawn was extremely small! Im guessing from the size of the doe and her fawn that she is a year and a half old and was bred late last year.

Well that hunt ended with out me shooting anything but the next night I got back out into a different food plot and this doe fawn came out at about 3:50 and came to 28 yards broad side. I pulled back and shot and I thought it was a decent shot and she ran 20 yards, stopped for a minute, then walked 20 and bedded for 15 minutes then got up and walked 20 more yards and bedded down again. That worried me so I got down found the arrow and backed out.

After two hours of helping a buddy get his truck unstuck at the farm me and him went in to follow the trail. We got on the trail and the blood was ok at first but it died off really fast. After 50 yards we were following tracks in the snow with an occasional drop of blood. We jumped her about 100 yards from where I shot her so we back out.

The next day me and my brother went back to where we jumped her the night before. the blood started getting better and better and 30 yards away we found her. Turns out the shot was just behind the diaphram, most likely liver. The broad heads were muzzy 4 blade fixed which didnt have a large cutting diameter which I think added to the bad shot to give a lack of blood trail.

And thats my story! Pics to come

4. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats again!

I had all intentions of being out all weekend but that did not happen. I drew a tag for 5 days near my house. A piece of public land that has several reports of a large 8 & 10 point running around. I went out Wednesday and scouted the entire property and got a few stands hung. I planned to hunt it Friday through tomorrow. Since Friday I have had an on and off again fever, very painful ear ache and sore throat. This totally sucks because I am still fighting this and I have to have my stands down by tomorrow night or risk loosing them. So in my sick state I will finally make my way back out but just to pull my stuff. Hopefully this passes soon so I can get back in a stand by next weekend

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

5. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Buddy just sent me a pic from one of our sets....I was in a different stand on this particular Sunday, pic was taken 10 yards from the stand! I can't catch a break LOL

[​IMG]

6. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    congrats on the doe! more points for the team. I'm hoping to get out next week and maybe connect over my food plot/standing corn. crazy that I haven't seen a single deer in the woods on public or private land. same damn thing last year. No deer seen during last year's gun season. I'm hoping they will calm down after muzzle loader season & give me a shot. Good luck to anyone else out there.

7. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I killed a doe at 50 yards this morning. I actually thought that I missed until I went to get my arrow and it was covered in good blood. Turns out I double lunged her. I also had my #1 buck on the property come by at 10 yards but couldn't kill him bc I'm only allowed to kill one buck per year off that property. Talk about frustrating. At least I got the doe though, which is what my mission was this morning.

8. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Nice!

9. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    Nice Jake, Congrats man!!! That def is a little bitter sweet...at least you filled the freezer!!! 50 yard shot to boot...atta boy!!!!

10. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone get out this weekend.....there's been crickets in this thread lately haha

Bumped 3 does going to my set on saturday....then got skunked! Rain picked up really bad and I ended up leaving the woods a little early. Went out early AM on Sunday to see no deer and two trespassers on the property....I climbed down and caught up to them to ask them what they were doing and they played completely dumb and Said my buddy gave them permission to be there. It was a property I got on to this year thanks to my buddy, so I called him afterwards and he told me he knows the kids and they asked him for help and guidance and to hunt it...so he gave them permission on the complete opposite side of the property and specifically told them to stay out of this part of the woods. He will be having another talk with them and their parents this week.

Left the deer woods to head to the duck blind for the second half of the day. Scored a really cool hybrid mallard to boot!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No hunting for me, and next weekend is Doe-only weekend, so I may try getting out with the rifle for that. For now, I am letting the cameras do the hunting for me. If something worthwhile shows up, I'll hunt, otherwise I'll be home, warm and licking my wounds.

12. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't see a single deer yesterday evening, and neither did my wife. I got traps for coons and beavers put out today. I'll be duck hunting in the morning and checking traps. I have to work tomorrow night and the night after, so I won't be back in the stand until Thursday evening. I don't know how much longer I will hold out to try and kill a buck. It needs to get cold so the deer will pile into the fields.

13. in da woods

Dislikes Received:
    I"m going to try to get out tomorrow afternoon for the last hour as I have a training to go during the day. Hopefully I'll get to see a deer. It's the last day of muzzle loader tomorrow. I'm planning on hunting a few days next week but time is racing against me for the season. Hopefully the deer have calmed down a bit.

14. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    I got out tonight to a stand, 75 yards from standing corn in a draw, trails, a scrape, slight wind, sunny skies, no deer.... :( maybe try again saturday. Anyone else check facebook every morning for a BH.com post of Justin and a big buck!?!?

15. in da woods

Dislikes Received:
    nothing tonight boyz. I keep hearing something getting up in the middle of the woods but late (just turning dark) I"ve heard that sound most nights I've been in one particular stand but never seen the deer if it is one. I have seen new buck prints in the snow on one end of the property so that's a good sign. I have a sneaky suspicion that sound i'm hearing is a buck bedded down till almost dark. I'll try again next week Monday. they've definitely been hitting the standing corn and small food plot has been picked to the ground.

16. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Could it be turkeys going up to roost?

17. in da woods

Dislikes Received:
    No i"ve heard them going up to roost. You can hear branches on the ground cracking and moving in a direction in the woods. It's always been just at dark, same area of the woods. Could be coon? but it has been cold enough that they should be hibernating. I know there is a buck on the property because of the prints in the snow I saw yesterday. It's too thick to hunt, and can't see because it's too dark to see that far. I have a stand about 75 or so yds opposite of me and i've heard it before in that stand at same time, just before dark.

18. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Well tried it again tonight on public land, no deer. I think it's to pressured. I did hear 6-8 coyotes walking out

19. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went hunting for a little while yesterday morning, but didn't shoot anything. Saw 6 does and about 50 turkeys. I'm gonna go a few more times to try and fill my last tag with a doe, but I'm in trapping mode now. Caught 2 beavers and an otter in the last couple of days.

20. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Gonna go check the cameras today. Thinkin two will probably need batteries so I don't know how many pictures I will have, but hopefully something >130" is on one of them.