Well it happened to me, my first.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Aaron Jones, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You learned a valuable lesson aaron an thats what its all about. Maybe that deer made it. As a hunter we have to make wize decisions out of respect for that animal but when u want it that bad the overall thoughts an thr what is dont count high percentage shots are ideal when whitetail hunting. If I dont have shot im letting them walk an enjoy the experience.

2. zjl299

zjl299 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Too bad man. I've had very good luck recovering deer because i learned the same lesson you just went through. Made one bad decision because of excitement and i lost a beautiful buck. I'm to the point that i will not shoot a deer unless i had a clear broadside shot because i cannot handle the same sickness your feeling right now. Too much respect for the animal not to.
    good luck!

3. stuckintherut

stuckintherut Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Id say you got quite unlucky. I shot the same broadheads a you hand I hit a buck from almost the same angle last year. It splintered his spine and he dropped immediately. All I can say is that no circumstances will always come out the same. Be easy on yourself. I dont know a hunter that has hunted his whole life and not lost an animal. @Aaron Jones

Stuckintherut

4. Schomm

Schomm Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Choose a wiser shot bud. I know you had no choice. But your best bet is to wait it out because most of the time, the deer will present you a better shot. I know this from experience. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And......you shouldn't have taken that shot either. I only regret one shot I've ever taken and it resulted in a dead deer....NEVER should have taken it no matter the outcome, but I was young and an idiot thinking I had to due to the "idiot" neighbor getting ready to draw on him 30 yards to my Northeast.....no reason to take a shot with the angle described AT ALL.

Learn from it and NEVER take the shot again OP. You don't have to change arrow set up but I do recommend heavier set ups personally.

6. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Was it just ribs? On a spine, knuckle or shoulder shot on a mature deer I can almost guarantee a heavy arrow would fair better. Don't design your set up around the best case scenario. Design it for when everything goes wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk