NC Bowhunting Forum

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by ncBowhunter, Sep 23, 2013.

1. tlrfshr

tlrfshr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I could just see a buck right now. I've seen way to many does over the last couple hunts. I'm trying to drop a decent buck before the year is up. Maybe I missed my chances this year. Gonna try and re-stock the food source after hunting in the morning then let them come in and eat until next weekend's hunts.

2. JrO

JrO Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Got a Die Hard right here.

3. JrO

JrO Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone have any luck so far this season? Arrowed a few here.
    Had some nice bucks on camera but I have mainly put down some does.
    Finally did a self filmed hunt and got a deer on the ground from it.

4. NC_Bowhunter

NC_Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The action has been pretty slow for me here in Duplin...Seen very few does which is very strange and a to. Of 1.5-2.5 year old bucks...i guess that will be good a few years but this season has just been a disappointment for Me, my Dad and brother...I have managed to shoot 3 does but thats all. Have not even seen a buck that peaked my interest yet. We do have 2 old bucks at one farm that showed up about 3 weeks ago. One is a 6 point and the other is an 8. We have had pics of them in previous year but never seen on the hoof. Their bodies are enormous for our area. An average mature buck around here will way 165-175...these two bucks will easily go over 200 lbs. hopefully one of them slips up in the coming weeks.....

5. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Around 10:00-3:00pm is when I keep getting reports of sightings. It may be time to switch gears to mid day hunts or all day sits guys. I'm trying a mid day on Saturday if the rain holds off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. zjohn14

zjohn14 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Western nc the hunting is slow especially if your horn hunting, to much pressure has made em nocturnal an the weather has sucked recently been way to warm for Dec, I'm ready to do some grouse hunting

7. mayday

mayday Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't even seen a deer yet other than the few I've bumped driving to my staND location. I hear them walking around if I wonder closer to their bedding area but even after walking the edge of it I didn't see anything. I'd love to bag a deer this week as its my last weekend in NC dusing the season. I guess I'll have to rely on my old MO spits during my Xmas break.

Anybody near fort bragg have any luck and if so what's your area? Mine seems to be more difficult than I thought it would be. Food sources here are hard to find because of the acorns everywhere.

8. dthbyhoyt

dthbyhoyt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Killed a doe on Mackall , also killed 3 doe's , 5 point , 6 point in Chatham county

9. Jaz

Jaz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well the season is over. This was my first year bow hunting, and I didn't start until mid November. I only saw a few deer. Drew on one but got busted before I could get a chance to shoot. I still had a blast and enjoyed every hunt. I'm doing my homework this off season. Lots of scouting, trail cams, and marking trails. The season just ended and im already excited for deer season 2015!

10. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wrapped the season up yesterday morning with a yearling button buck kill. Not exactly what I wanted to kill but season was coming to a close and we needed some meat. Hope next season is a little more predictable and better than this one

11. JrO

JrO Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Had a decent year here in Easten NC, I had more encounters this year than I have in the last few years. I am super excited to get out and do some shed hunting. It is bitter sweet when it all comes to an end. It seems like yesterday I was hanging my first camera over a scrape. Did not get to hunt the last week of the season due to the Flu. So much for the flu shot this year. Anyone have any pigs that need the air let out of them? Could use some pork to help top off the freezer. I hope everyone has a blessed 2015. Can't wait for the opener for Turkey.

12. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im new to the forum and hunting in NC. I hunt Wayne County, had some luck this year. A lot of empty sits just got a new property to hunt that seems to have deer activity everywhere on it. Really having trouble finding the right spots to set up because there are paths going everywhere. I only got the permission in november so I didn't have a lot of time to scout, ended up only seeing a total of 6 deer the rest of the season, 5 of which came through at the same time. Anyone have any tips for what to do when there is deer sign everywhere?

13. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Topographs are an excellent way to read the lay of the land without putting the foot work in. But, definitely put the foot work in. Find your bedding areas, corridors, and food sources. The stand placement will be based off of those and wind direction.

14. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the help, I've been looking at aerial maps and putting in the footwork, still having trouble finding the bedding areas but found several possible food sources, i found a cluster of pin oaks, I know deer love white oaks but I'm not sure about pin oaks down here, any thoughts on that?

15. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Not quite sure either. We typically have an abundance of white oaks, swamp white oaks and red oaks around these parts so I can't really imagine them ignoring these to get to pin oaks, which are smaller and more bitter.

16. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They will eat pin oaks but prefer white or red due to its high tannin content. Verify it but if you can put out corn and the land owner will approve of it make you own luck. Put out a feeder in August and keep it stocked. They will find it and visit regularly. The down side it most of the activity might be at night but you might be able to sway them to filter in. Once you have the does in come first week of November bucks will visit. :tu: if you can get some cameras up start running them now and move them around. Just try and do it midday if you can to minimize bumping. Good luck.

17. wilkescountycc

wilkescountycc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wilkes County nc here

18. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just moved here a month ago. Can't wait for September to get here. Ready to see what NC has to offer in the deer woods.

19. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well to NC neighbor. I am in Raleigh, NC. Where in NC are you located?

20. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I'm in Winston-Salem.