Anybody made the switch from compound bow to Crossbow?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by joot, Nov 29, 2014.

1. joot

joot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody switch from shooting a compound bow to crossbow? Don't want to sound like a sissy, but thinking about making the change over. Your thoughts?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If it helps you continue to hunt go for it. It is only sissy if you get a pink crossbow.

3. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will stay with my compound until physically I can't pull it back, and then I would be ok with a crossbow to keep me in the woods. Crossbow to me and this is just my opinion is just like shooting a gun. I love the challange of the bow.

4. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Justin: do you gun hunt? Hunt with what ever keeps you hunting. I fish a lot and have never heard fisherman arguing what type of pole or reel. We need to Pull together regardless what type of equipment.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You must not know any people who flyfish?

Howell-pa likes this.
  6. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think a crossbow would be fun to shoot. For everyone that says they are just like a gun, I would have to disagree. It may be easier than having to draw, aim and shoot without getting busted, but I doubt it is a gimme. The only thing I hesitate on with crossbows is that getting one drawn in a lock on stand seems like it could be a bit precarious. Not much room to maneuver with that thing. I say if it floats your boat go for it.

7. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have not switched, but I have added and xbow to my list of tools I use to take deer. At times yes it's much more convenient than a vertical bow. But at other times its a boat anchor and cumbersome. 3 of the 4 deer I shot this year would have been just as dead either way regardless of what I was shooting them with. Only one instance did the xbow let me slip an arrow through a small shooting window.

8. ruteger

ruteger Guest

This x1,000,000

9. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Was not trying to ruffle any feathers and when I was younger I did gun hunt I am now 28 and only bow hunt. Now I am completely talking out of left field I guess when it comes to a crossbow because I have only shot one once and it was very similar to a gun, had a scope on it. My state (oklahoma) has just in recent years made it legal for anyone to use a crossbow where in years past you had to have a medical reason. I do fish a lot and on a competive level, not a lot is the same about hunting and fishing in the since your killing the deer and with a lot of fish it's catch and release. Again that was just my opinion and the thrill of killing the deer is not what keeps me going, it's the outdoors and just being out watching all different animals. Don't make me better or worse I just voiced my opinion.

10. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Justin: It is very difficult to decipher the intent of words. There are guys on the forums that constantly bash crossbows then go out and use their 30:06 during gun season is why I ask. I have fished with guys that fly fish and honestly have never heard a cross word because a person used a bait caster, push button or open bail. They just fish and have fun squeezing in on the guy that caught the last fish.lol

11. gswartz

gswartz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I started with a crossbow and last year switched to a compound. This year the wind has just been terrible around the area I hunt and I had two deer I took shots at where the wind blew the arrow way off course. When the wind wasn't too bad I double lunged two doe with no trouble with my compound, so I am certain it's not my accuracy or nerves. Each time I missed the wind was blowing around 25+ mph and the arrow ended up going about 12 inches off course at about 25 yards. So, since then I switched back to my crossbow thinking that the wind would have a smaller impact on a smaller arrow and it seems to fly straighter with less vertical drift. I've taken another doe with the crossbow with no problems.

I love the challenge of my compound bow, but at the end of the day if I'm going to shoot an animal, I want to make sure it's the most ethical, quick and deadly shot I can make. The last thing I want to do is make a bad shot and simply wound an animal. That's just my two cents though.

12. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I havent made the crossbow switch, but I have considered buying one to add to the possible choices for harvesting a deer. I've only bow hunted for 3 years and in that time have been very successful at it. During that span, I developed a true bow hunter's mentality that I will only use a compound bow to harvest a deer and nothing else. However, due to time constraints this year, I have zero deer on the ground, even after taking the rifle out a few times. I've come to realize that I dont care which weapon I use, I just want venison or an exciting hunt. The quality of the sit is more important to me than the weapon of choice now. I havent even had time to practice shooting my bow since september. If a season like this were to arise again in the future, where life prevented me from putting in the necessary hours to successfully place a clean and ethical shot on a deer with my compound, I would love to have the luxury of a crossbow, just in case I find a few hours for an afternoon hunt and not have to worry about how well I'm shooting. I have zero problem with anyone who makes the switch to a crossbow, I may end up with one some day soon as a means to put meat in the freezer. Bowhunting will always be my number one passion though

13. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You've obviously never spent time around fly fisherman :) .

14. joot

joot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After much thought, I broke down and ordered a Barnett Raptor FX in black from Cabelas for $299.00 (on sale). We'll see how it goes in late season coming up.

15. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I made the switch early in my bow hunting start when louisiana first allowed us to be able to hunt with them. First off they arent just like a rifle yes they may shoot faster and have a scope but they normally are alot louder and i found if you dont have the right broadhead and arrow set up you can shoot all over the place. PLUS you pretty much have one SHOT ONLY. I love my compound because its quite, i can get off more than one shot, i love the challenge, and i just love being at full draw. Its just that feeling you get at full draw you will not get with a crossbow. But i'd buy one just to have if you hunted the rain or a big food plot something of that matter. But i'd still keep the compound trust me you would miss it!! Good luck and whatever keeps you in the woods is the smart choice in my book!!!

16. llbts1

llbts1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bought a crossbow first. Was so jazzed by the cb, I had to have a bow. I now like the bow better than the cb.

17. Mathewshooter

Mathewshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My buddies bought X bows this year and I took a few shots with them at the target. I think the only real advantage of the X bow is you don't have to draw and hold it back and it can extend your effective range slightly. I found the x bow to be heavy and hard to hold steady without a rest. I could also see where the horizontal limbs could get in the way when you swing around for a shot, especially behind you in a treestand. I honestly think its easier to shoot my compound more accurately in a hunting situation. Like I said, you really need a rest to hold the X bow steady.

18. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting is hunting to me. If you wanna use an xbox, have at it. If you're in the woods having fun and harvesting deer, who's to say you're wrong for doing so. Life is too short and hunting seasons are shorter, so do what you have fun doing and don't mind anyone telling you different. And I spend enough on my compound stuff, so I don't need to try and afford another habit. :lol:

19. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hunt. Have fun.

20. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Since I don't hunt with a rifle will it be ok for me to bash crossbows!:lol:

OP, no I haven't made the switch and likely never will. I know several guys that are in their 60's still shooting bows and bow hunting. I hope that by the time I'm to old to pull a bow back I'll just be to old hunt.