Thinking about trying out Doe Estrus

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tpmonaha, Nov 20, 2014.

1. tpmonaha

tpmonaha Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have never used doe estrus before...thinking about trying it saturday morning. Not sure how you guys use it, do you put it up before you climb in the stand or a couple days before? Thanks for any advice.

2. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The way I was taught and do it is put it out before you climb into your stand. Put some on q tips or kleenexs about 4-5 off the ground about 10 yards from your tree in several spots. When you are done take it with you, bring a plastic bag, so it doesn't sit outside 24 hrs a day and deer get too used to it. I seldom use it for lack of success but seems to work for some. Not sure where you are but it may be getting a little late in the year for it with the rut winding down in a lot of areas.

3. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been trying for years Pat. I am yet to have any success with Tinks, Code Blue, Wildgame Research..you name it. Everything from drags, double drags, drippers to sprayers, doe pee, estrus to dominate buck. It's either a gimmick or the stuff is out of date. Next I will try a synthetic with hopefully better results and less wasted money

4. tpmonaha

tpmonaha Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks you guys. Phil, I know you have said you haven't had luck with it, thanks for the input man.

5. BeastFeast

BeastFeast Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have used estrus scents with some success but usually not this late in the season. I'm in Minnesota so maybe your rut is just starting. I will dip a scent wick in the bottle and hang it on a tree branch about 3 feet off the ground.

6. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will echo what many have said here.
    Not much success and its late in the season.

Corn and acorn scents might be a better option now.

7. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pat, although I think our rut has already peaked, they're not finished. I saw 2 chasing yesterday, however, I couldn't tell what they were. Good luck this afternoon

8. Turkeysniper511

Turkeysniper511 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Put some tinks out last year and it set out there for a week after u got done huntin that day and my 12 point ran big ole open cut bean field just to get to it and went straight to it and gave me a 10 yard shot. I love doe estrous and have had very many times it has worked for me! Give it a try wont hurt your hunt any!

9. American Honky

American Honky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    YES!!! It's crucial to make sure whatever lure you're using is only there when you're there... there's no point in attracting deer if you're not there. You're likely just educating them. Old camera film cans used to work great with a cotton ball in them. I've never had any luck with any of the name brands. I think it's all hogwash. I have however had luck with a locally bottled brand of doe estrus from local deer. Deer aren't stupid. If it smells foreign, they won't fall for it.

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have had the best success with Special Golden Estrus here in NC. I did it accidentally the first time. I spilled some on some pine needles walking to my stand. I came back the next day and the pine needles were tore up. I have been using it ever since.