Elk Outfitters? Who are most highly regarded and successful.

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by critterdownunder, Sep 8, 2014.

1. critterdownunder

critterdownunder Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wondering if anyone can tell me a few of the premium highly regarded Elk outfitters in the US? So long as the hunts are free range (not behind wire) I'm interested to know where you guys would go if $$ was not an issue for you? Thanks

2. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's a tough question with too many variables. How soon do you want to hunt? Are tags available? Are you looking to take a huge bull or just a bull? Just to name a few. If money was no object for me I would book hunts in AZ, NM, CO, WY and MT and then decide which was best :D Seriously, I would start by asking yourself what exactly you expect from a hunt and then start searching the web and talk to some of the outfitters and their references. Good luck with your decision.

3. critterdownunder

critterdownunder Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your input JGD, I've been planning on returning to the US for a DIY public land hunt the last few years and haven't made it happen just yet. I'm just considering maybe saving my money and paying for the opportunity to hunt really quality bulls 300+. Basically I'd expect to get at least one shot opportunity on an expensive guided hunt. Though returning home empty handed doesn't worry me and I know its a big possibility. Do the more expensive hunts $8k+ include a tag provided by the outfitter usually? Thanks

4. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Someone else on here might be able to answer your question better. I hunt public land and haven't drawn a tag since 2009. I have been fortunate to go with friends who drew tags and call for them. This year nobody drew tags in our group. I know there are areas in Wyoming where you can buy tags and go with an outfitter because the areas are mostly on private land or landlocked public land. In Colorado you can buy tags over the counter and then hunt public land DIY or with an outfitter. Research Arizona and New Mexico to see if outfitters can supply tags or not. I think that is the case on some of the native american properties.

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why not check some reviews on bowsite .

6. dorobuta

dorobuta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will be hunting with Winterhawk in Colorado, next week. (Check out the Trembling giant thread) I'll be able to tell you about them in two weeks. :-)

7. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well, how did it go?

8. dorobuta

dorobuta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It went awesome! we were into elk every single day. I only had one shot at a 5 x 5, that I missed. My fault, did several things wrong, but in the end used the wrong pin on a down-hill shot.

I'd definitely hunt with these guys again!