Killer Instinct - team #18

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by short69, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I'm not sure where some of our guys are?

2. Jacob1

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I'm not sure where some of our guys are?

3. Gutshotem

Gutshotem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im still huntin. Won't be out tom but back at it tues.

4. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    GOOD LUCK Gutshotem!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else out there and hasn't ck in? tell us how our season is going

5. MUDSHARK

Dislikes Received:
    I did some checking and if Rizzo can get is deer entered on the score card page we should take the 1 st place over. that's with out LAST ONE OUT BUCK not entered and with that we have a good lead. with Rizzo buck / guess of 127 would give us 901. Team 24 has 888. then last one out has 88 7/8= 990 woooooo whoooooo

6. Jacob1

Dislikes Received:
    Heck yeah. If we can get another doe or two entered I think we will have a chance.

7. MUDSHARK

Dislikes Received:

yea with another doe or two plus a another buck, would be great!!!!!!!!

8. Gutshotem

Gutshotem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice.
    I'm headed back out tom morning.

9. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was way off with the score. It ended up 107 and change.

I was hunting some really good public land. This buck was following a doe that was being chased hard by numerous bucks. He stopped at 22 yds. I had a long time to take a close look at him and I was confident he was a 10 pointer with much more mass than the buck I tagged. Anyways, I shot him at 6:45 on 11/6. I got down 2.5 hours later to grab my arrow and take a look at the blood. The blood was loaded with air bubbles so I was confident of a dead deer. I broke down my stand and sticks. While I was ratcheting my sticks onto my stand I heard grunting. As I looked up I had a huge racked buck headed my way. I grabbed my bow and turned to look at the buck just 20' away broadside. He stopped and scented me. By the time I drew he was hopping away the direction he came. I actually had this encounter on video from my camcorder! Unfortunately, the card was stolen 2 days later when I had the cam back out.

At that point I needed to wrap my hands on the antlers of the buck I shot earlier. The blood trail was strong, but led into a very thick raspberry thicket. I jumped 2 bucks out of the thicket so I assumed one of them was mine even though I thought it would be dead by then. I backed out of the woods at that point and made my way the 1.5 miles (per my GPS) back to the truck. I met my hunting partner and we decided to jump back into the woods to get on him 'cause he was a long distance from the truck (plus thru two ravines). We got back to where I possibly jumped him and decided to drop to the bottom of the ravine to see if he bedded/dropped near water. As we got to the bottom I heard my buddy talking to someone. Apparently, another hunter (we thought we were the only idiots hunting this hard to reach area) witness the buck that I tagged wobble down the opposite ridge to the bottom and die. As soon as I saw the buck I told my buddy that buck was not mine. We decided to gut the deer and then back out so the hunter could finish his hunt as it was 2:00 PM and we would drop back in and quarter/butcher the deer after dark to haul out. We took the pics you see in the scorecard and then I searched as well as I could the raspberry thicket on the way out after gutting the buck. I found no traces of the buck, but I will regret not searching even more for a long time.

We walked again back to the truck and I changed clothes to stay cooler as I knew the butchering and hauling the meat out was going to be a *****! We met the other hunter on his walk out (he said a few deer noticed the dead buck, but it didn't startle any of them which was interesting). I completely butchered the buck with my headlamp and packed the meat into game bags and then into a large backpack. The hardest part was then getting the meat back up the ridge to the top where we had the deer cart as there was no chance of getting it to the bottom where the buck laid. We then used all of our remaining strength to get the meat and head back to the truck. I wanted to search again for the buck, but that day kicked my *** so bad I could not make it back over there.

I truly have a feeling that another hunter tagged my buck and hauled it out the other side of the ravine while I was on one of my wonderful walks to and from the truck. That ridge was not very high and bordered private land. The hunter we met at the bottom had only been in the tree since 1:00 PM. Oh well, I still had an amazing trip and passed more 130"+ bucks in that week than the previous 27 years of deer hunting. My best day was seeing 12 bucks in the AM and another 8 in the PM.

10. rizzo999

Dislikes Received:
    Leaving tomorrow at 4 AM for a short gun hunt trip with my Dad. It's been 17 years since it was just him and I on a hunt together so I'm looking forward to it. Unfortunately, we are hunting some public ground that we drew tags for that I found out after we got the tags that it was hit hard with EHD the last 2 years. I got my sights set on just a doe for the freezer. Dad thinks he is going to get his biggest buck ever....gonna be praying for him. :lmao:

11. Jacob1

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Rizzo

12. MUDSHARK

Dislikes Received:
    X2, best of luck to you both. I'll say a prayer also

13. benkharr

benkharr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Rizzo

14. rizzo999

Dislikes Received:
    I got a doe Thursday evening just standing in the weeds along an alfalfa field that I was actually scouting for gun season! She came out downwind of me and stood in the field looking the opposite direction. Friday AM I shot a decent 10 pointer with my 20 ga. Friday PM my Dad shot a doe with his shotgun in the same field as where I got my doe the night before. All of this was on public land btw. I will get her on the scorecard hopefully by next weekend.

Also, another member PM'd me that I did not include a mass measurement for each side so that buck should give us a few more points.

15. Jacob1

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome Rizzo! Good job!

16. MUDSHARK

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats, great job RIZZO. 50 more PTs. Outstanding.

We can take this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. rizzo999

Dislikes Received:
    Entering doe right now on scorecard. Also, the buck I got grossed 6 more inches to 113 and change. We can take this contest boys! Good luck.

18. Jacob1

Dislikes Received:
    Good job! Yep we got a chance. I wish we new what the guys that haven't been on here in a while wa doing.
    Short69 maybe you should send them a message to touch base. Maybe they forgot about the contest?

19. CRABCLAW

CRABCLAW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, Well my 26 day vacation is over today, back to work tomorrow. I did not kill any Deer (yet). I only get one Deer this year, so I have been holding out for a Buck. I had numerous shots on Does that I passed up, I also passed on several legal Bucks. We have a 4 point antler restriction in the area I hunt. I did see 3 Bucks that I would have shot, but unfortunately they were all out of range. I will be back at it again next weekend, and I'm thinking it's time to take a Doe. I bought a new Bow this year and I'm ready to shoot something other than a target. LOL. Besides when we win this contest I want to be able to say I at least contributed 50 points. ha ha. You guys have really been knocking down the Deer, Congrats too all of you. Good luck to anyone out hunting this week.

20. Jacob1

Dislikes Received:
    Go get em Crabclaw!