What kind of a hunter are you?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Skywalker, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It depends on how much meat I have in the freezer before gun season. Last year I never took my gun out and kept bow hunting right through the wave of orange because I had 3 deer down by this time. This year is a different story, I need venison so I will be rifle hunting

2. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This year firearms season for me is all about my kids. I have reached all my goals this year with the bow so I'm looking forward to having the kids in the woods and teaching them.

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I exclusively bowhunt in MN, but I've done both in WI. This year I'm leaving my Creed at home when I travel South.

.... I think.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I might take the gun out a time or two, but at heart I'm a bowhunter and that's what I love to do. I plan on taking my daughter out and try and help her get her first deer this year, but when she's not with me I'm taking the bow.

5. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I grab the rifle. Will always be a tradition for me. Now that my dad has passed it brings back all of the great memories I had with him taking me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Question for the Illinois hunters. So your telling me you can't use your gun tag, but take the deer with your bow? I don't understand the logic behind that. In Missouri, bow season ends on the 14th of November and picks back up after the last day of Rifle season, but we can still use a bow. We just have to use our firearms tag during that portion of the season.

7. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i just bowhunt my own property. the gun hunters push EVERY piece of ground for miles around. the deer find my place thier sanctuary. passes up 4 bucks, 9 does tonight.

8. SWitchBacKXT

SWitchBacKXT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  9. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bowhunt exclusively. I might purchase a hunting rifle and set up in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I take my Rifle maybe twice a year if that, Bowhunt all the other time.

11. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bow only even if I decide to hunt during gun season. Something about putting on the orange turns me off though. I find no thrill or satisfaction in killing deer with a gun.

12. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I grew up gun hunting and have only recently, within the past 5 years, picked up a bow and started taking bow hunting serious. Tho in the past years I have put down the bow and picked up my rifles when season came in, this year will be different. This year will be the first year that I will try my hand at going as long as I can with only my bow. But I have strict orders from my wife for some deer meat, so if it comes down to it...i'll pick up the rifle for a hunt, shoot a doe and then get the bow right back out! I would love to take any deer with a bow. But only can do that if i'm willing to give up the gun.

13. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt whenever I can with whatever weapon is in season. Doesn't matter to me what I use the deer is just as dead, and it is nice being able to have the option to shoot or not on those deer you've been seeing that are just out of range. But I don't get all worked up over how close I can get to a animal.

14. finnshady

finnshady Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tomorrow is Opening day of rifle season and I will be carrying my bow. I like to make my Hoyt go boom!!!

15. Mnrecurve

Mnrecurve Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bow will be in hand right up to New Years Eve. Bow hunting is way too much fun

16. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't used a rifle in quite some time now. I've been toying with the idea of using a rifle, but didn't bother to make sure it was sighted in. I'll be taking my bow tomorrow morning, it just doesn't feel right using anything else.

17. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Always use a bow. It slows down during gun season but it's still with a bow.

18. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I break out my ML cause i love shooting that thing. I don't really hunt much with my rifle any more. our trophy property, i can sit just about any green field with my ML. some of my other favorite properties, I usually hunt a tree with my bow when rut hits.

19. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I hunted bow only all year. This year I am thinking about taking the rifle out for my last tag. On the other hand, If I can talk my dad into coming down for black powder season I will save my tag for that.

20. ruteger

ruteger Guest

This was my first real year of bowhunting and I enjoyed it quite a bit even though I only saw one doe the entire season (no doe tags here due to 5-ish deer per square mile). Once gun season started, I picked up my gun and it took 10 days for a buck to step in front of me so I could shoot it. That was only the second deer I've killed in my life (I'm 34 now, but didn't hunt from 18-32 and mostly small game hunted during high school), but something about this one didn't even come close to feeling as satisfying as the first. There's not much of an unknown when you shoot a deer with a .270 @ 40 yards and it doesn't know you're there in your treestand. Its fate is pretty much sealed as soon as you can see antlers. I like that there are more unknowns and a lot more thought that go into bowhunting, so I'd like to think that next year I'll stick with a bow for both bow and gun season - even though I'll also have to factor in that I really like the taste of venison a lot.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2014