Couple Questions...

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by tlrfshr, Nov 9, 2014.

1. tlrfshr

tlrfshr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just a couple days ago I was able to finally get my stand hung and out to hunt over the weekend (I know, I'm late). I have a camera hung in front of a food area where there is a mix of accords falling from trees and a corn feeder that I use and refill often. All year since late summer I have plenty of pictures of deer both does and bucks in the feeding area and surrounding it within 10-15 yards.

When I finally got out and hung my stand on Friday afternoon I checked my camera for pictures and there were plenty showing lots of action in that same area. After I hung my stand and sat and hunted on Saturday morning, Saturday Night, and Sunday morning these deer didn't even come into that same area. I could see them coming out of their trails about 50-60 yards to my left.

Now I haven't been hunting long, but I feel like this possibly has to do with me either being in that area for a couple hours on Friday and walking to the camera OR I was thinking that have changed their walking paths / trails to my left due to the rut and them not feeding on much food right now.

Would anyone have an idea of why the sudden change of no deer? I was thinking maybe it's time to use a doe urine or doe estrous seeing that rut is almost in full swing here in NC. Or did I just have some really bad luck?

Any and all help / ideas would be awesome!

Thanks!

2. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My guess is that you left your scent when hanging the stand and when you were going into and outa your stand possiably bumping deer. It doesn't take deer long to pattern hunting pressure, also this is an unpredictable time of year. Just do your best to practice scent elimination and hunt the right winds.

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. When you hang a stand this late in the season, you have to be just as conscience about scent as if you are hunting. If I have to hang a stand late in the season, I try to do it in the drizzling rain in the middle of the day when possible. This helps keep scent down a lot.

I have a few questions:
    Did you bump deer when you went in to hang your stand?
    Do you have a designated travel route to and from your stand?
    What time do you go to the stand to hunt?
    Do you hunt the wind?

Give it a few days and see what happens.

4. tlrfshr

tlrfshr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the help guys. To answer your questions: If you mean by bump do you mean scare any off? While I was hanging a stand a doe came walking in and stopped then went about her business like I wasn't even there. All of the sudden she ran off like she finally noticed me. It was the weirdest thing I've seen.

As far as a designated travel path, I do have one. It's down a gravel access road and I never take a different path to the stand. I usually go about 5:45 in the morning and then sit until about 10am. If I go at night, I'll head out about 2:45 or 3:00 then leave the stand about 6:00-6:15.

As for the wind its always blowing in my face and they have trails to the left of me but none behind me. So all the deer are coming from my left but never from up behind me. However, this is the only stand I have so if the wind isn't in my favor I guess it doesn't really help either.

What would you guys recommend doing as far as scent elimination for clothes and when I prepare to hunt in the morning and evening? Would a good scent blocker spray do well for me or are there methods including how I was my clothes and what you use around your stand and areas?

5. woodsy211

woodsy211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is it possible that you are bumping the deer on the way in, without realizing it? Chances are, they are bedded in an area where they either see, hear , or smell you on the way in. Some of the best spots can be almost un-huntable because getting to the stand without being detected can be almost impossible. Its also possible that the all the current activity from you being in there has them on edge. Also, sometimes cameras, typically one with a flash will cause them to start using different trails just to get around it.

6. tlrfshr

tlrfshr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking about purchasing several items for helping control scent for the rest of my hunts this year. I'm assuming a good bottle of scent blocker for my clothes before I head into the field would be a good idea as well as a detergent an a air tight container to store my clothes in after would be a good idea?

7. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ Good idea. Remember, your just starting out. Learn as much as you can. Keep a journal of dates, deer sightings, weather and time of day. Don't get discouraged. It's not uncommon to take a year or 2 before getting it done. It's hunting, not killing. Welcome to the addiction.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am a firm believer in ozone generators use it to pretreat the camo no need to bring it to the stand. Scent control and using the wind are very important.

9. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking you spook the deer on the way in to the stand, either they see you or smell you, or maybe hear you.

10. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds to me l like your #1 priority should be scent control of your boots. #2 should be avoid touching vegetation or scent control on anything that touches vegetation. #3 should be scent free soap, deodorant, detergent, etc. Your scent may linger in the air briefly but you're better off controlling the scent you are leaving behind in other ways.

11. tlrfshr

tlrfshr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the ideas and help. I'll be headed to the store on Friday to purchase some stuff to help me better be prepared to hunt come thanksgiving week which will be the next time I'll be able to get out to my stand.

How about spraying down my stand and camera which I have touched with my hands? I'm assuming to just go ahead and do it thus eliminating that trace of smell I left behind after touching them.

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The first thing I do when I get out of the scent free shower is to put on latex or nitrel gloves, why leave scent on everything you touch as you dress and go?

13. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Now that's hardcore scent control! I don't think its necessary to go that far JMHO. If you hunt the correct wind you can kill deer in any clothing, so to say.