Ground Blind Concealment

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Novemberfest, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Novemberfest

Novemberfest Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought my first ground blind and placed it at an intersection of a fence row where there is a lot of deer movement. Ive never used a ground blind and am curious as to how deer react to them. Obviously it's a big box that just showed up. Deer will obviously notice it, but will they care or purposely stay away from it? Also, if I leave it there I'm guessing the will get "acclimated" to it and won't think twice about it after awhile??

Thanks for your insight.

Trevor

2. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You will get many different answers for this. Personally I just try to get mine in early to allow them time to get used to it and lightly brush it in because it cant hurt. Nothing special though. They will always give it a look but it won't keep them from coming in. I shot two does out of the same blind last year at 7 yards and those were just the two i shot

3. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My first year hunting out of a ground blind with the girlfriend. She is limited in shooting 10-15 yards so ours in brushed in very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, they'll become acclimated after awhile. Just don't draw attention to yourself by calling or decoying since you'll be right at eye level with the deer.

The best thing to use for brushing in your blind is evergreen branches. Of course, you should use a variety of things like hardwoods, corn stalks and whatever other vegetation you can find, but go with evergreen branches as your first layer. They will keep their shape year-round, so you don't have to worry about them losing leaves come December.

5. Novemberfest

Novemberfest Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well this answers my question. Thanks for your input guys. Really wish I was sitting in the ground blind and not in the house tonight!

This buck was right behind a hot doe. He had her locked down and there were about 3 other little bucks lurking around. Pretty cool to see nonetheless.

IMG_7149.jpg

6. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I set mine up and leave it. It will be checked out and then forgotten. If you happen to be sitting in it when a deer sees it for the first time then it will walk up to you close enough for a kiss on the nose.