Broken nock removal

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by imjw0214, Nov 3, 2014.

1. imjw0214

imjw0214 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Does anybody have any good methods of removing a broken nock. I have looked through youtube and i can't find anything that works. I've tried boiling water and a screw and nothing. Also I can't get the insert out to put a rod through the shaft. Any suggestions?

2. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been able to screw in a small fine thread screw in most of them to get a grip on it. It sounds like that didn't work. If not maybe a thin crochet hook or small stiff wire bent at a 90 to get behind it.

Is the nock pushed in or is it still in the end of the shaft? I did have one that pushed in and is still loose in the shaft. Arrow still works, I use it for target. It just clicks sometime when I shoot it.

You can heat a thin, fine thread screw and turn it, melting it's way in. Let it cool and pull. Maybe put in in the freezer and the plastic will contract some to reduce how tight it is.

How about a drill smaller than the shaft. Go slow and gentle not to push the nock in. Once most of the nock is drilled out you may be able to break the nock up and get it out in pieces. I have a few "left handed twist drills" that will spin a screw out while drilling. Mine are 50+ years old. I don't know if they are available anymore.

What kind of arrow? If it has a Uni-bushing it can come out.

Good luck.

3. beaubowhunter

beaubowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a drywall screw and it works every time. The large threads get a good grip. Hope you can get it. Good shooting!

4. yoda

yoda Newb

Dislikes Received:
    anyone else reading this be careful that the bigger the screw you use could damage the carbon arrow
    if in dought heat up a allen wrench poke it down the hole and let it cool then pull out the nock easy as

5. Sconley81

Sconley81 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had 2 launchpad lighted nocks break on me and used a wire coat hanger and went in from broadhead side and pushed them out.