2015 mathews

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by maxpetros, Nov 5, 2014.

1. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly. Nothing wrong with a binary system at all. They feel super . The only issue which isn't as much as an issue now as it was in the past it having no Yoke to tune with. With modern string material this isn't as much a issue.
    I have timed many a binary when installing a new string and cable and don't have to touch it until I am installing a new one.

One thing people shouldn't get their hopes up that these "no cams" are going to feel like pulling off two idlers with let off magically add to them ... That's an impossibility.

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    With their Mission X-bows doing so well why make one? I just learned that Mission isn't coming out with a new bow...so I probably will be keeping my Venture another year as I can't swallow the price on new ones, even with the HTR probably being sub or right at $1000.

3. DEdestroyer350

DEdestroyer350 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you really think about it, this isn't new at all.. The wheel bows from the 70s, this is pretty much the same exact thing, just newer materials etc... So as far as innovation goes, it's about 40+ years old imo... And another thing is, it's basically a simplified binary cam bow, the cams are just round.. Real "No-Cam" bows have been around longer than anything else, they are called recurve/longbows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  4. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well that a way to look at it I guess. But with that thought, why make mathews bows? They have a mission line.

5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I think they do it so they can have sole separation and hand in the same market without mixing the name Mathews in both cookie jars if you will. Undivided attention or something like that.

Also to those thinking this is 30 to 40+ year old technology....in a way I see your point but show me one of those older bows capable of what the HTR is? Like I said, I'm a average Joe who will never buy a brand new bow from any flagship manufacturer outside the "generic" ones like Mission or I'll get a used bow. But don't let your love of "x" manufacturer cloud or misjudge "y" manufacturer. Honestly anymore I don't get the brand bias, all main manufacturers make VERY similar bows (hunting, speed, target lines)...it's all personal preference of feel and for some of you nancies looks :D (had to).

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Using this reasoning the new 3D, 4K resolution curved TVs are nothing new. After all, TV's have been around since the 30's.

7. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hating on it, and I don't think anyone can accuse me of being brand bias. In the last 7 months I've owned a mathews, 3 elites, 2 hoyts and 2 PSEs.

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you shoot too many to know what you like :D Just picking on ya bud. I do stand behind my comment though it truly isn't a spec thing anymore for me when comparing bows...due to the fact like JZ posted earlier, if you compare speed bows to speed bows, target bows to target bows and hunting bows to hunting bows...there seriously isn't much difference between the main manufacturers.

So, customer service, feel and handling and as much as I don't care about looks become the main things why people choose a bow.

Now I get that Mathews introducing a "new" or as some argue "re-vived" style may turn some people off but the specs of the bow are still X Y and Z and aren't much different compared to bows in the same category.

Me personally even if I had the money I wouldn't get this thing. I am not usually one to ride the new technology rodeo till I see a few things bucked off and refined in the second go around in anything.

9. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    I actually disagree. The PSE Evo Max , pse DNA and faktor turbo are the three "speed bows" I owned. DNA was terrible, very stiff draw now valley, Evo Max was a little softer but still minimal valley, faktor had the best wall, valley and even tied the DNA on speed tests.
    The energy 32, two e35s, mathews chill, and hoyt spyder 34 were what most would call average hunting bows. 7 inch brace heights and between 30-35 inch AtA. the elites were the best. When taking into account smoothness, speed and comfortability in shooting it went e32, E35, hoyt spyder, mathews chill. Just because they are for the same purpose doesn't mean they are the same. All the bows were wildly different even in the same categories.

And for anyone wonder the ranking out of all the bows went
    E32
    E35
    Faktor turbo
    Spyder 34
    PSE Evo Max
    PSE DNA
    And mathews chill

And if anyone wants to know I currently own an e32 and e35

10. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think you are getting what I'm saying. What you described in the draw and smoothness of the "shootability" is feel/handling in my opinion. What I'm saying is there is a lot of people, not saying you, that are quick to write off a bow based on the IBO that is 5 fps slower or faster...or the 1/8 brace height....or you get the idea.

Everything you described in how you separated those bows is how I do minus the speed...because in my opinion speed in the new bows is more than adequate in every case to do the game I hunt (whitetails, yotes and turkeys).

But the feel, draw cycle and valley amongst other things cannot be read on a spec sheet. Just specs and looks can be judged by a spec listing or even a video of someone shooting it. Everything else must be felt and handled, which is why I think sometimes guys prematurely are against a bow which in fact they may very well love if they shot. Happened to me when a buddy let me shoot his PSE (model escapes me) I didn't think I would like it as it was one of their speed bows with very short brace height...oddly enough loved the draw and how it shot...back wall wasn't my favorite though.

11. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I think the no cam is hideous but I still plan on shooting it before I make further assumptions.

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I don't really like the style for looks alone, but I shoot what I feel and can spend....the new ones don't fit the second one so I'll just be shooting for review sake.

13. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    All the factors you mentioned that you like in a bow makes me think you'd like an elite hunter. You can get a used 2013 for around 500 and it would come with a warranty.

14. KHNC

KHNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heavy , a brace height of 6 5/8" and slow. Not too mention its not that appealing to look at. I see nothing interesting about it. I also think its a step back in time with the wheels.

15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Oh believe me they're on my radar.

16. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been shooting my Q2xl since somewhere around 2002 and I hadn't really planned on getting anything new but I might this year. I will definitely be shooting the HTR and the Z2 and a few others I'm sure but I like the looks of those 2. Being as the Z2 is based on the solocam I'll give it a shot.

I think it's funny how 2 round wheels are being called "no cam" technology, marketing deptartment at it's finest.

I want a smooth quiet bow, as a hunter with a rangefinder only difference I've ever really noticed between 280 fps and 320 fps is the noise. Not a knock I know speed is important to a lot of folks.

17. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can do a 2013 Hunter for you, with extra mods, and an extra new string with it....for that price...shipped....in two three weeks as i am back for KS and Ohio...

18. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Justin, you gotta admit those curved 4k tv's have an AMAZING picture though lol

19. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I'm still in shock that this is their new bow. I was really hoping for something a whole lot different than this....lol. Even though i'm not much on Mathews like most on here are, I'm just kinda shocked that this is it. I really did like the Helim and Creed bows a lot. Not much to say I guess....lol.

20. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the HTR this afternoon. It's actually a bigger turd than its pre-shot, internet reputation would lead you to believe. Just one guys' hands-on, experienced point of view though.... But hey, you should probably go out and get one. It's a Mathews, after all!! ;) Thanks, but no thanks.