Should deer drives (gun hunters) be a legal hunting method?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BJE80, Oct 23, 2014.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When did we get into it? Sorry I guess I only remember important details.
    The trolling I was referring to in that post was the couple of posts in this thread last night about seeking regulation against drives genius. I thought those posts were pretty obvious I was playing.

2. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Covey back on scene!

3. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Someone needs to come drive some deer my way about right now. I'm not seeing much and it's getting boring.

I got a bow and I'm sitting in a tree stand so I should be good I think.

4. NY/Al

NY/Al Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Threads like this remind me why I stopped posting on this forum a couple years ago....sigh....where did the fun guys go?

5. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Deer drives are for lazy thug gun hunters that don't have the drive or determination to put the time in like real hunters (bowhunters)

6. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Still here, neighbor! :D

7. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He asked about the fun ones... :bash:

We quit posting for the most part too Al lol.

I still have a pretty epic thread to post to try and detail my fall but every time I sit down to do it.... I don't.

As for the topic, I'd love to hear the opinion of those against deer drives on how it could be outlawed while still hunting or even spot/stalk remain legal? Or should all hunting besides sitting in a boring tree stand be outlawed since that clearly takes the most skill. ;)

8. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    One major issue I have with it is in the group effort and another is doing it on other peoples land. So, I'd say more than two hunters, one to drive and one to sit or both drivers and only as long as one is the property owner/manager/leasee.

I wouldn't go that far on either insinuation. It clearly takes more patience and I think your clearly poignant tone to that comment shows that much. Also does about every pro-drive comment on the thread since most that do it stated that they do it when they get tired of sitting in a stand....which says a lot.

9. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    People trespass doing any kind of hunting. Deer drivers aren't the only ones....

10. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've never taken part in a deer drive. But it sounds way more fun than sitting in a tree stand.

So you would truly have the government step in and set LAWS that guys wanting to hunt together not in a tree stand can only do so in groups of two? Your problem with doing it on others land has nothing to do with deer drives, it has to do with trespassing and poaching. Same guys could hang tree stands on others lands (and many do). I just have never been a fan of setting laws on the masses because of the actions of a few who are already breaking the laws in the first place.

11. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Sure it does, so does going out at night with a bunch of buddies and spotlighting and pot shooting deer in a corn field...long sits in a tree stand get boring.

No, it's more than just trespassing, I said group effort #1. I don't feel it's a fair chase situation when you have more than a couple of guys flushing deer to a group of shooters. I don't see how that's too complicated to understand. Cutting it down to a minimal number (2-3 or 4) is going to even the odds a great deal for the deer. The other part you misunderstood as a problem with trespass and poaching has more to do with being sure either an owner or manager is involved who has intimate knowledge of the farm being driven so people aren't :
    1. Being unsafe toward each other
    2. Property boundaries are well known
    3. Surrounding area is familiar so the group isn't shooting towards neighbors houses, etc..
    4. There is no doubt that permission was granted

I understand people being against regulation in general and I don't see stopping drives on private property. Wardens wouldn't enforce it anyway on private property more than likely. I imagine thats mostly why there's no regulation on it now. I just think there's too much room for too many problems as it is.

Even if it can't be regulated, I still disagree with the practice and if it was regulated it's one of the few regs I wouldn't voice an opinion against.

12. NY/Al

NY/Al Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How ya been man? I'll be coming home on leave to hunt around thanksgiving. Tried to get home sooner for bow season but we just got back from deployment so I couldn't swing it. Also on an odd note, my girlfriends best friend just moves to Wales a few months ago I found out, i'll probably be over there visiting her. Maybe i'll run into ya in a gas station or something, who knows.

Also, since i'll be home for gun season, maybe i'll just go on a deer drive or two, just because its my damn right to!

13. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So in a few weeks, as I'm sitting in my shotgun stand overlooking a thicket and another long ridge, am I cheating if I shoot a deer my neighbors bump as they walk back in at 10 that morning?

Where is the line drawn? Only when "pusher" is purposely driving the deer?

I'll probably do a drive this December. If I take a good buck, he'll go on the wall right next to my other mounts.

14. NY Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Deer drives are for uneducated hunters that lack knowledge of how to kill a deer with any other method other than dumb luck or forcing the issue.

15. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Annnnd.... Dumbest post on the Internet today. Congratulations! Maybe you can teach me how to hunt, since I have done and will continue to do deer drives.... Obviously I'm an idiot....

16. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Been great, Al! Thanks again for your service!

Sending you my # via PM....if you are gonna be in my home town, we should grab a beer or coffee together!

17. NY Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Deer drives are for people not skilled to shoot a bow and obviously drink while hunting.

18. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Now i know your trolling

[​IMG]

19. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are bored aren't you? :bow:

20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received: