NEED HELP!! Flashlights Used For Tracking???

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Kutzke45, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Kutzke45

Kutzke45 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also posted this in another forum but I thought I would post on here too. What kind of flash light have you found to work the best? Does anyone have experience with a tracking flashlight? I recently used a LED flashlight and I found it really challenging to pick up the blood. Thank you!!

2. Kutzke45

Kutzke45 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I lost a very nice deer over the weekend due to loosing the blood trail. I want to make sure this doesn't happen again because I can't stand the thought of it wasting away. So any help with tracking light or tracking in general would help and be greatly appreciated! I don't care if it was a monster buck, doe, or a spike buck. Having a deer wasting away is not what I want or what I expect out of hunting. This is the first deer I have lost out of five deer and it is not sitting well with me!

3. Nickstuff

Nickstuff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A coleman lantern, hands down the best for tracking anything. The lantern puts off a natural light and saturates the ground in a more even distribution. Blood seems to take on a slight glow in the dark when lit up by a lantern. A flashlite floods the ground with an artificle light that overwhelms the pigment of the liquid in the blood and makes it appear dark. Now you may run your head into a low hanging limb a time or two with the lantern held close to the ground(dont ask) so you will need a small flashlight to see any distance up ahead. You will be surprised how well you will see the indentions of the foot tracks with a lantern held low while walking. Buy several mantle's as you will ulimately bump a stump or two and they are easy to break when they cool down.

4. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive found that my white LED light works better than any so called "tracking" or colored lights. I use a Maglite XL200, small, bright as hell, and literally makes any blood glow bright intense red. Ive used headlamps and other flashlights and prefer my Maglite hands down

5. dorobuta

dorobuta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Quarrow head lamp that has a green setting that works really well. (It also has a black light which is handy for looking for scorpions.)

I prefer a head lamp so I can use it for dressing out the deer as well as searching.

6. woodsy211

woodsy211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    2d led mag light, mark last blood and go slow so as not to tread any sign under.

7. Kutzke45

Kutzke45 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you very much!! With those head lamps, do you have a problem with them in the rain? Keeping them lit for instance?

8. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received: