Team Nock Outs - 7

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by jfergus7, Aug 18, 2014.

1. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wish he would update the total scores at the beginning, we should be close to the top with all the deer we have down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't we have one more buck entry that needs to be entered also?

3. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys, as I'm sure you all have figured out by now, I never found the buck I shot. It's heartbreaking for sure. The best thing that I can hope for is that maybe he's still alive and I'll get some pics of him. I took my bow to the shop today to change some things on my setup to try and maximize penetration. I changed rests, got heavier arrows, and switched to a fixed blade slick trick. I got everything all tuned up and shooting darts. I pray that I don't have this problem again.

4. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    I set my bow up for that too, Hopefully I can shoot right through rips or a shoulder if the worst happens.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  5. jetlynk

jetlynk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I haven't been active in a while, have been hard at it but so far come up empty handed.A lot of mornings where all I had was chickadees and squirrels to keep me company. To add my hunting partners have either been sick or working so I haven't been able to hunt the restricted areas I would otherwise had one of the other guys with me. On a happy note I started hunting 2 new areas yesterday one bordering a hay field the other boarding horse field with lots of activity. Seen a buck today while scouting and stepped in a warm pile of moose poop, wife said she has never seen me so excited about poop before.

6. AUbowhunter

AUbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys just posted my buck, didn't score very high, 75.5, but he's my first buck with a bow and it's 75 points more than if I would have passed. So if someone can kill a 125 in buck, we can join together and have killed a +200 incher.

7. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    well another perfect night other than one small detail, NO DEER! Dang! nice calm night, corn field just picked. Not a sound in the woods. I'll try again on Wed. Hope to get out a mid morning as I'm getting off work at 7am. they've got to come thru some time. just sux not seeing any deer, but yet they're on video crossing under my stand.
    Good luck to everyone else.
    Aubowhntr, points r points. that's more than I've shot.

8. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Well if Justin would put an arrow in bacon he'd have about 200 points himself! :grin:

9. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's not gonna happen because I am going to get Baconator first!

10. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I'm laying here in bed and the plan was to take my wife hunting this morning, but she wants to sleep in today. So I'm going back again at daylight to look some more for the buck I shot. I just can't get it out of my head how he looked and acted after the shot. I've got to find out what happened to him. It's driving me crazy.

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I hope you do Ferg! Call me and I'll come take trophy photos for you. :tu:

12. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, so some good news from this morning. The buck that I shot is still alive. I checked some cameras this morning and had him working a scrape on one of them early this morning. He doesn't appear to be slowed down any and looks to be fine. Sucks that I wounded him, but at least he isn't laying somewhere rotting never to be found. Hopefully I can get a 2nd chance at him.

13. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Well I wouldn't say no to either of you shooting him! At least it won't be Todd! What does he do for the last two months of the season now?

14. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    I did the same this summer and I am very pleased with the set up! Yes, I lost speed but I could care less cause this is a heavy hitting set up! Can't go wrong with slick tricks either, nice choice! I was thinking about going with them, Muzzy Trocars, or Solids....but I ended up going with Solids. What arrows did you end up going with? I love my Gold Tip Kinetics...300 spine @ 10.4 gpi....plus I add weight upfront also. Total arrow weight is +/- 500gr with a 13% FOC

Good luck with the new set up, now its time to put down a smasher bro!!!! GET'EM!!!! KILL!!!!

15. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got the bloodline 330s, which is 8.7 gpi, so not quite as heavy as yours. I'm shooting the slick trick standards (100 grain), and switched back to a whisker biscuit due to my drop away failing me. I also turned my poundage up a little more, so it's at 67 lbs now. I don't think that I sacrificed much speed, but it doesn't bother me if I did. Hopefully this new setup will help me if I happen to hit some bone again.

16. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    Right on man...def will! Whats your total arrow weight?

17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds similar to what I did this year. I'm shooting CX Maxima Blue Streaks which are a light arrow but I added 50 grains onto the back of my insert and switched back to fixed blade broadheads (Thunderhead Razor). My total arrow weight is around 450 grains with a 14% FOC.

My broadhead blew completely through the doe's spine that I shot, through one lung and busted a rib on the opposite side of her rib cage. I wish I took pics of the spine, it was pretty impressive.

Good luck out there guys! Things are really heating up right now.

18. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    I'm heading out tomorrow for my Hail Mary attempt at a public land buck here in Nd. Two active scrapes and a picked cornfield with a perfect wind and small drop in temps, everything needed to shoot big bucks!

19. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    JZ, you picking up a new HTR? I really wanna get out to my shop and shoot one! I saw your thoughts on it in the thread, thought you would have shot one already. Im worried about speed with my short draw length (27") and heavy arrow set up (+/-500gr), and I also would like it in a 30" ATA, but overall I am very interested in seeing what it is all about. I have a feeling if I hold off until the 2016's they will only make it better....like maybe an HTR No Cam that has an IBO of 345-355fps...they always make things better the second year I feel. Another thing I am curious about is the back wall and the valley with it not having cams, idk. Pretty cool though I guess. I think all of us are very hesitant with change though, until we get use to it that is...then we LOVE! haha

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  20. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    For Sparta!!!!

(I'm on my way to the stand)