Should deer drives (gun hunters) be a legal hunting method?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BJE80, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hey...guilty of the same. There was a time i named all my deer and got really mad at the "anonymous" hunter who killed him.

Then i met some of them...and they were really nice guys. Guys who just liked to hunt deer. I wouldnt want people calling me and ******* if I had shot said deer.

You learn things as you grow older i guess.

2. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Getting old happens fast. You will look like this before you know it.

[​IMG]

3. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dafuq is that!?!?

4. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As soon as the conversation gets to whitetails everybody gets their panties in a wad. It's a game animal, put em on a pedestal if you want I just don' t get it. No one cares how someone kills a squirrel, a turkey, a rabbit but oh we're talking about deer well then let me tell you how you should hunt and what you should shoot and listen to me go on and on about all the big bucks I plan on killing. Some of us just don't care. We hunt them, kill them, eat them...then repeat. Sure I like killing a big buck but that obsession imo is ruining a lot of hunters and turning the tradition of hunting into a self centered ego driven suck fest.

I'm sure there are slob hunters that drive deer and I'm also sure there are slob hunters that bowhunt. It's not the method it's the person. Deer drives when done by non slob hunters are safe, effective, and most importantly they are FUN and if you are the type that think drives are fun you should try throwing a couple beagles behind them on a crisp cold morning. I know I know...it's not fair, unless of course you're hunting birds, squirrels, or rabbits.

5. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly.

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Safety keeps getting tossed out there....Drives arent safe ect ect, I say that load of bull $hit. why not call a spade a spade and say your think it drives hurt your hunting opportunities. At least you'd be honest.
    You want to keep hunters safe then make tree stands illegal, they kill and injure more hunters each year then drives that is for sure. I dont see anyone saying, I hope my A hole neighbor Bob and six buddies don't hunt from their stands today be cause its dangerous, they might fall and die.....But await, that wont matter cause at least they we be quite doing it and not scare my deer......

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  7. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Deer drives aren't dangerous????? I'm hunting my own land and its pretty ****ing sad when I'm hiding behind trees cause bullets are whizzing by hitting trees in front of me because my yahoo neighbors are shooting in every direction because they loose what little sense they had already when they see a deer on their deer drive in their woods.

8. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This may be the worst example / comparison I have ever seen. That's like saying more people die from not wearing a seat belt then from drunk drivers. Which may even be true but it only effects the person not wearing a seat belt instead of someone else. So in lessor words bob falling out of a tree stand most likely won't kill me. However that hot lead will. For the record I am ok with party hunting. However there should be a limit on the number of participants. From my experience things go south real quick with large groups. Regardless if you are deer or bird hunting.

9. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not saying deer drives can't be unsafe. I'm just saying hunting with firearms is one of the safest activities outside, as hunters we constantly throw stats on it around when defending hunting, weird how no one remembered it? Too busy dodging strays I'd imagine. But don't let that stop you guys go ahead and order yourselves some bullet proof scent-loc ;) just messing with you fellas I've heard some buckshot smacking trees near me before too just not very often.

http://www.nssf.org/PDF/research/IIR_InjuryStatistics2013.pdf

10. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My managed land is roughly 2700 acres, of that about 750 is crop land, the remaining balance is a mix of brush, overgrown pastures, CRP in native grass. In that management land, we have 7 feeders total, only 5 of which are out. There are only four hunters on the property and three of those are rare events. The feeders are to supplement feed the deer to contribute to keeping deer on property and to boost herd health, they are not hunted on or even nearby. Only reason feeders are out now at all is because they are new and wanted to get deer familiar with them before winter, otherwise they will not even be out during hunting seasons. Cameras are used for management, I run 17 cameras on the total acreage of ~3000 acres (*edit). That's a hell of a long way from having cameras every step of the way. They are for inventory purposes for management, not to pattern deer. You can't very well manage deer if you don't keep track of what you have or have a way of monitoring any gains.

this whole thing kinda STINKS!!.

you "manage 3000 acres and only 4 hunting it??
    sounds like your doing it for 1 reason.
    perdy bad to lock up that much land and not allow at least some kids get to hunt. THIS type of attitude is was is gonna doom any future hunters from entering the field. and your against deer drives??. sounds like your quite a greedy person

11. NY/Al

NY/Al Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Driving deer has been a way of life up in the north east for years, and I don't see a problem with it. Me and my buddies used to do it all the time but now that we are in our mid 20's we have all sort of gone our separate ways so we don't get together to push anymore. I sure do miss the camaraderie we had hunting together and with all of our older relatives who would go out. I've seen many of those older gents drop deer on a dead run with a smoothbore shotgun at 100 yards, even done it myself more than once. Say what you will about this hunting practice but it is fun and when you have the people who know how to do it, it is very safe. Yes there are a few folks who will go out and trespass and make all the deer drivers look like a-holes but i'll tell you that is not the majority. Also, I'm pretty sure there are a few a-hole bowhunters who will go out and do the same thing, only they are just harder to catch. Hunt any way you want folks, if you are having fun and putting meat on the table that is all that matters in my books. Just don't be a **** and judge others because they don't do things the way you want them to.

12. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    But the key is I don't think everyone should hunt my way :)

13. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Its beyond absurd to consider outlawing walking around while hunting... That is what you are saying.

If you get technical about it, still hunting and deer drives are the same on paper. Would be hard to ban one without banning the other. I don't like tree stand hunting, I don't really like sitting over bait for deer, I doubt I'll ever dog hunt for deer, I won't be sitting behind a high fence in the foreseeable future.... I will still adamantly support the rights of others to do all of these things though. I have my reasons/ways of hunting as do others. Why should we support more government intervention just so more people hunt the way I do?

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    True for sure but still not sold on crossbows for able bodied hunters, probably the biggest easy button in hunting during archery season.

15. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    SOunds like you're quite a jealous one. What does this opinion have to do with deer drives? I can be against whatever I want to be. I will begin actively seeking legislature from this point forward to outlaw any and all deer drives. Suck that.

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck with that mission, right or wrong not going to go away

17. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    We'll see. I'm drafting several dozen letters now and I'll start making calls tomorrow. This is war! :rant:

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Enjoy the rut, don't draft letters finish the harvest and hunt. Best of luck and good wishes this deer season, thank you for your work it feeds the world

19. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Oh no, this has gone too far. I'm getting Obama right on this. :throw:

20. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Even when they have their own designated season?

I can't wrap my head around feeling that way about what weapon another person chooses to use. Who cares?