Which way do you face your stand?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by patinthehat, Oct 30, 2014.

?

Which way would you face your stand?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2014.
  1. North

63.2%
  2. South

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. East

21.1%
  4. West

15.8%
  1. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As always, I tend to over complicate things. So here's the question. If you are expecting deer movement to come from the west, which way do you face your stand if you are a right handed? Do you face west so you can see the deer coming? Do you face east so the tree blocks you? Do you face north or south? Assume a north wind and you are in the woods so there are some trees for cover, etc. It's a small detail but one I got to thinking about and it is something I don't think I have ever seen discussed before. Picture is posted for reference. Don't hate my awesome Paint skills! Black line is deer trail. Red dot is the tree you are climbing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In that specific situation I'm facing my stand east or northeast. I don't like to have to move around a lot or even stand up if I don't have to when a deer comes in. Right handed with deer coming from west going east, stand placed facing northeast or east, I have a bit of cover from the tree, a broadside shot and never have to stand up if I don't want to.

This is where the deer does something unexpected and comes from the east on a trail south of you. :lol:

3. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure everyone is different, but I want to face the direction I'm expecting deer to come from. I stand up for every shot and I stand up as soon as I hear or see any deer, get my bow off the hanger and get as close as I can to the tree. I'd much rather need to hang my bow back up if I'm not going to shoot than have to get it off the hanger with a deer in range.

Also, IF the deer come head on the tree is helping break up my profile. That's just the way I like to do things.

4. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I try to avoid facing east or west because I don't like staring into the sun for hours on end :)

5. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    North so I can keep my head on a swivel both directions and also not ever looking directly into the sun. If it's only half a day sit I will try to make it so the sun is at my back so the deer has to be looking into the sun when looking my direction.

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    North. I can comfortably pull my bow from a seated position to my left or straight ahead.

It also depends if you sit or stand as well. Standing I may face it SE and face NNW using the tree to block direct line of sight if standing and wait for a broadside shot on the east side of the tree.

7. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In that situation (with the amazing graphics provided) I would probably set my stand NW. I they are coming from the west I could hopefully get a shot before they wind me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    NE in that situation. He's 1/4'd to the whole time he's coming, so I'm not going to shoot until he's N of the stand anyway.

9. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good point Fitz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Obviously everyone is different and this is a personal preference so there really are no right or wrong answers in a universal sense. That said, it doesn't make any sense to me to point the stand West (for a righty) and definitely not south and north is an awkward position as I wouldn't prefer at all to take a quartering to shot and a straight on shot (me facing north, deer broadside) puts your draw arm's elbow going towards the tree so possibly restricted movement. If that east bound deer (assuming it's traveling as expected) happens to be unstoppable until quartering away...that further turn into the drawing arm is going to get increasingly harder to pull off the further left turning (east) a north facing stand hunter is going to find him/herself in.

Sun in your face for an east facing hunter:
    Wear a cap...and sit still. For a tree stand hunter, the morning sun is not as much of an impediment as some may think. You'll most likely be looking at a downward angle for a shot and in the given scenario...ideally you have a broadside or quartering away (for an east facing stand) shot straight north or slightly northeast...so not looking into the sun in any case.

Like I said no right or wrong answers, just talking through in more depth why I would go with the east or northeast facing stand.

11. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    NE or East depending on the cover the tree has to offer.

12. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    NE for me. Placed enough so I don't have to strain myself seeing where they come from. I like using the tree for cover somewhat and the deer will be quartering away by the time it gets on the other side of tree.

13. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt mostly funnels. Like to face my stand up / or down the draw so I can shoot both directions. It allows me to cover most the width of the draw that way.

14. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I figure out the worst possible spot for the specific scenario, and that's where I sit. Waiting for hours on end for something to happen, that never does.

15. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    NE for me.

16. MNhuntingRube

MNhuntingRube Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    North East so I can still see east to west but I can set up a shot without having to move too much.

17. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    NE if the tree has good cover.

E if it's lacking in cover.

18. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I try to place my stand so most likely deer movement will be to my left.