Thirty Rack - Team 30 Thread

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by LSU327, Aug 18, 2014.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Mr O

This weekend starts my all day sits and the following weekend is the beginning of my 10 day vacation.

Big cool down on schedule for this weekend, think Fridays lows may be a little too warm but it's still a big change from what has been.

Watch for another big cool down around 16th, possibly th é first widespread hard freeze of the season and my last day of vacation.

2. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the support. I still feel awful. My initial thought was a liver shot but since I never recovered the deer I hope it was just a non lethal shot. Can't describe how disappointed I am. Guess all I can do now is learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Could you add the time of kill to your scorecard entry.

Thanks and congrats again

5. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be out Wednesday night and Thursday morning. I hope something comes together for those sits. This weekend isn't looking good with the incredibly strong winds in the forecast.

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, Friday is going to be rather windy here. If it wasn't Halloween I would consider working, but it's just some thing about it being Halloween. Winds will hopefully be calm in morning, plus I need to get my other stand hung, if they aren't moving anyway then I should be able to be a bit more thorough in hanging it.

Saturday is looking prime, mid to upper 20's with a light wind all day.

Reading the live from the stand thread has me itching to call in sick tomorrow and start my weekend early :lol:

If only.....

7. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It happens to all of us at one time or another, LSU. Keep your chin up and be ready for the next one!

8. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Coming home this morning from work around 5am, I counted about 6 bucks on the ride home. It is about to blow wide open in my area. Heading for the woods now.

9. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, anything that could go wrong last hunt, went wrong. I dropped by bow from my stand, climbed down to get it. Realize that I clipped my tow line to the top of my stand. So I climb back up with bow in hand, get about 2 rungs from my stand and here something behind me. As I'm hanging there hugging the tree I see 2 does, which come trotting in to 20 yards and pause broad side. The only thing I could do was hang on the tree and laugh at myself.

About 30 minutes pass and I'm scanning with binos and I see another hunter set up across the swamp from me. The influx of hunters in the area I hunt is just ridiculous. They made crossbows legal for all hunters last year in CT and everyone and there mom now thinks they have an extension on there shotgun season and come invade the bow only woods with their crossbows, which were always very quiet with few hunters up until last year. Frustration was the key word this week. Two more nights of work then off, get out there guys it is time.

10. Page

Page Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shot a doe on the Nov. 1st. Just now got everything posted to the score card. Will someone please check and make sure I put up all of the info I need? Saw 11 deer that morning by 8 o'clock. All does with the exception of a 2 yr. old 8 running around grunting. The doe still had milk... If the fat on a deer is any indication of the winter to come hang on! I have never seen so much fat on one.
    Will be heading back out this afternoon if the wind cooperates. Looking for big guys only now.

11. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Starting tomorrow, I'll have 13 sits to get it done before November 14. On November 14 I'll be heading to western South Dakota for a rifle hunt. By the time I get back, the best of the rut will be over. It'll be an exciting and stressful next couple of weeks!

12. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, so who has all killed deer? We should have about 200 points, correct? Has everything been entered?

13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You're good to go and Congrats. Great shot.

14. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    cunninghamww killed a doe, forgot to take pics but has video. Never heard back whether recovery was on film or not. Hopefully he'll chime in, and I would say enter it and let Fitz make the call.

Also a reminder to everyone, only your buck is first one only. If you forget to take pictures or whatever on a doe/antlerless you can shoot another one, if legal of course, and submit it for an entry.

I'm off to my worst start ever, but I have my vacation coming and starting Friday I will not leave the woods in daylight until I have antlers on the ground.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  15. Page

Page Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had a good sit yesterday afternoon and thought I was going to close the deal on a big boy only to have a coyote come in and run him off. Heard a buck growl at 2:30 and saw a big guy chasing two other bucks. Looked back to see he had a doe with him. Had a 130" 8 pt. run right to me and stop at 30 yds. I was watching the big buck through my binos when he let out another buck growl and came charging at the smaller 8. I grabbed my bow and hooked my release up and he did a 180, put his tail up and ran back to the doe. The 8 stopped broadside at 15 yds looking back over his shoulder, about that time here came that darn yote and ran the whole mess of them off. No luck this morning but will be hitting it hard for the next week and a half. Hope the full moon doesn't mess them up to bad.

Good Luck to all who get out. The time is now!

16. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    24 hours and I'll be turning in for the 2:30am wake up. Cold temps next week. Excited to get out there.

On a side note, going to be a big storm impacting the US Thanksgiving weekend. Not doing T'day at my house this year so hopefully will be in a tree that day should I not be tagged out. Should be the first winter storm preceded by a possible severe outbreak.

17. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dang! That's an exciting hunt! I hope it's not a close call next time, and you get it done.

18. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just got word today that the my neighbor killed one of the biggest deer that I had on camera. I'm really bummed, but I know it happens.

He said that there was a bigger buck with the one he killed, so I hope that one makes it towards me.

19. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Headed up to WI this weekend for some doe patrol. Looks like it will be a cold one!

20. Page

Page Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Went out today at 9 a.m. Didn't see anything until about noon. Had a 120" eight come in followed a few minutes later by an 8 pt. that I am now calling Lucky...lucky I didn't shoot him. Prob the biggest buck I have ever passed, he was an 8 with a few kickers on his right side, would score in the high 130's. I have talked with all of the neighbors and we have set a 140" minimum. Going to sleep in tomorrow as well and head out around 10. Think the full moon has them moving the most in the middle of the day.