First Experience in a tree stand

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mayday, Oct 26, 2014.

1. mayday

mayday Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I've always been a stalk and shoot kinda guy back before I joined the military. I recently got back into hunting and picked up bow hunting because for me it was more challenging than walking through cut corn fields, taking a 300 yard shot and bagging meat. So long story short, and 8 years later I'm now a bow hunter.

Well I've been using a ground blind this season and not having much luck because it's mainly pine woods here with very little open fields that deer actually use. So yesterday morning I bit the bullet and bought a tree stand.

I bought a hang on tree stand from Wal-Mart and spend the next couple hours installing it and practicing in my yard several times putting it in the tree with plenty of success. So feeling prettty confident I throw on a fresh scent free shower, some fresh Camp and head to the woods.

Once I get to my spot I proceed to hang the tree stand. I decided to carry everything for the stand up the tree with my bag and bow tied to a rope and tie that to my belt loop so I can pull it up once set up. During my ascend and strapping the stand to the tree I feel something pop loose. My leg strap on the harness came undone and my foot slipped from the climbing screw and I fell maybe 5 foot and was caught by my harness.

Now I don't know if my harness was too loose (actually I'm sure it was) but it slid up to around my neck and I'm now hanging from the tree with the harness secured around my neck. I was literally choking and reached for my knife in my pocket only to realize it fell to the ground. Slowly loosing oxygen i started to panic and reached down and undid the other leg strap. I fell through the harness and fell to the ground. I was about 15 feet up at this point and hit the ground hard. I sat on the ground for about 45 minutes very upset at this point. I gained my bearing climbed back up to remove everything and then immediately return the product to Wal-Mart.

I run it through my mind wondering what happened but I've been in life or death situations so it doesn't really bother me. I'm gonna go to bass pro shop this weekend and use my gift card to buy a good climbing tree stand Amd hope I have better luck. Man this hunting gig is hard.

2. mayday

mayday Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh and I got out of the whole situation with a minor scratch on my arm, didn't even break the skin.

3. KendalMiller

KendalMiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Way to keep your cool. So glad your safe. Makes me reconsider packing my knife in my gear bag.

4. Rtkman

Rtkman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wow i'm glad you are ok. That would be a crappy way to go. Scary for sure. I'm not American but I still thank you for your service!

5. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thank You for service!!
    Way to stay calm. A quality harness is definitely a must as well is one with the chest strap. If you happen to fall head first without the chest strap you can fall through the harness, your shoulder straps will slip off your shoulders. That can be bad!

6. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So what broke on the tree stand? The strap holding it to the tree?

7. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    First and fomost, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE SOLDIER!!!!! Thank THE GOOD LORD ABOVE YOUR ok! Like you said, return that kmart crap, buy proven , reliable stands and safety gear. Go hang your new stand, and now kill that giant we all want! Best of luck, and i`m so glad your ok. GOD BLESS YOU and YOUR FAMILY SOLDIER!

8. finnshady

finnshady Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you made it out alive.

9. mayday

mayday Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing broke on the stand. The leg strap came undone for whatever reason. I'm glad they didn't both come off or I would have probably broken something.

10. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A good harness is more important than the stand. It is worth the money to buy a good one.

11. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had a similar situation happen to me...sold my climber bought lone wolf sticks with a muddy hang on and haven't looked back....i can be completely set up in under 10 min with that hang on and with it ratchet strapped to the tree.....it's not moving.....i hate climbers and wouldn't use another one if you paid me

12. mayday

mayday Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh this was a hang on stand. My leg strap came loose while stapling the stand on.

13. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you are ok.

14. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow dude I'm glad your ok. That had to be a scary situation. I use a harness every day for work and there are a few things to be aware of if your going to wear one. First off buy a good harness, I don't trust the "freebies" that come with stands. Second always put on and adjust your harness the same way you would cut down a tree- start at the top and attach and adjust as you work down to your leg straps. Finally your leg straps should be TIGHT, not comfortably loose. If you fall with loose leg straps they can pull tight in a bad way and guys have had their balls pinched off this way. Hope this helps.