Team Nock Outs - 7

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by jfergus7, Aug 18, 2014.

1. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go Cody! Congrats buddy!

2. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats man! That will give us a point boost!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet! Congrats!! Can't wait to hear the full story.

4. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was talking to some guys that have been hunting in a neighboring town of the farm I have been hunting this season where I passed the old spike buck, that the farmer calls Ted...they have been having encounters with a very similar buck, but he looks like a younger deer and his right side splits....I feel this buck could possibly be Ted's son, but I can not be certain. Where this buck is living is about 20-30 mins away from the from the property I passed Ted...Here is a pic of him that was shown to me yesterday.

[​IMG]

Keeps reminding me about my encounter and making me wish I hadn't passed him. Very cool and unique looking deer for sure!

5. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    congrats again Cody! guess moving to wisconsin is the right thing to do!

well stroke of luck has hit me again. A coworker just gave me permission to hunt his 20acres, which is surrounded by 100s of acres of non-hunted burn camp. Can you believe it! Man I am blessed this year. so I'll have to go out soon and check that property out and figure out which is producing the most deer.

went out this morning-nuthin. Hopefully this evening will prove better.

good luck to the rest of you!

6. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the stand watching a cut bean field. I checked two of my cams when I got here and the action is definitely picking up. I got a buck back on camera that has been missing for about a month and a half, and he looks pretty good. I also have more pics of the old 7 and think I'm closing in on his bedding area. I can't wait til next week.

7. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck out there tonight!

8. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So here is the story of my buck.
    Got into a stand that was set up along the edge of a bedding area with a cut corn field on one side and a big block of hard woods on the other side of me. I jumped a small buck on my way in and then was settled in at about 2:30pm Wind wasn't the best and so for the first time I rubbed some ever calm on a near branch hoping it would work as good as I have read. I spotted the same buck I jumped entering the corn field with 5 or so does at about 5pm, by 5:30 there was about 15 total deer in the field but only still the one small buck. About 5:45 a small six point and a fork horn came off the hill in the hard woods heading slowly towards me they would stop and spar then browse then spar some more so on and so on. When they got to about 45 yards in front of me they stopped to look back at the hill and that's when I first saw him coming down the hill. As soon as he came over the hill the four pointer walked into the food plot and started feeding passing me at 25 yards while the 6 point came to nearly 4 yards and bed down near my tree. By now I was ready and he was coming on a steady walk on the same trail the fork had passed on. So as soon as he hits the 25 yard mark I draw and give him a grunt and make sure the camera is right on him, settle the pin and let it fly.......miss. I was shocked! How could I miss a chip shot like that?! Instinct kicked in and I said screw the camera and got a second arrow as he had only jumped a few feet. I'm not sure if it was the young buck under me that kept him calm or the ever calm but he wasn't to alerted, I finally was ready and got my second chance so i settled my 30 yard pin and let it fly. He donkey kicked and tore off threw the woods. I had no idea where I hit and to say the least I was a mess. After recapping on video what happened I realized the 6 point and 4 point were still within 20 yards feeding! Idk if it was the ever calm or what but it was amazing how relaxed they were. Anyway after waiting 2 hours we followed great blood for 250 yards until we found a bed at which this point we backed out. After waiting another 2 hours we went back and realized he back tracked and made a loop and after following pin drop spots of blood for about 150 more yards my uncle tapped me on the back and said look up and there he was dead as could be. Ive had an amazing week in the woods and feel very lucky to have shared it with family and the support from this forum and this team. He is not my biggest deer but I think this deer meant more then any other deer I've taken. NOW its all of your turn to start Nocken out some horn for team 7!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  9. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! Congrats again!

10. jetlynk

jetlynk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well had no luck on my end, had a yote come in on me but I missed. He turned at the sound of the string and just missed his head. On a positive note thou as I went out for target practice to make sure my bow and myself were in tune I met a vetted bow hunter with 20+ years experience said he was going to give me a call next week to start hunting it him. He's got stands set up all around this farm land. He's been having the the same problem hunting this land as I have where you need to have another member of the program with you to use the land so I really excited to pick his brain and learn what I can.

11. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Leaving tomorrow afternoon for South Dakota!!!! Cannot wait to get back out there!! My buddy scouted the land Monday (I think) and saw two 130-140 inch whitetails running around so hopefully we can get a crack at one of them, but I know there are bigger in the area, as well as mule deer too. I'll keep you posted!

12. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! Good luck, Ryan! Put down a slammer!!!

13. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    wow! the team has been busy! a buck and a doe down! congrats to Tom and Greg for putting down their deer and putting points on the board!

man I pulled my video card today and lo and behold if I don't have a 9ptr smelling my camera at 10:30 and hour after i left my stand! then a 8 ptr crossed under my stand 10 min this morning before I got there! dang!
    I'll be hitting it next week hard. Working Sun & Tues. So Mon night and Wed - Sat.

Congrats again guys! way to represent! Good luck to everyone else out there!

14. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats team! I'm loving the good news!

15. AUbowhunter

AUbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, buck down! Killed a 6 point on public land this afternoon. He came in from directly behind me, and was within 20 yards before I saw him. He walked directly under my stand and I tried to snap a picture and my phone flashed! He didn't notice that but did smell where I had walked in and got nervous. I was turning around in my stand cause he swapped sides of the tree, and my finger touched my release and my string made a sound and he spooked a little and started to walk away but stopped behind some limbs. I leaned away from the stand cause my bow was touching the tree, and shot through a window and hit spine. He went down and I immediately put another arrow in him. He died in moments after the second arrow. I'm really excited about how scouting and waiting for the right wind and conditions works out. He is my first buck with a bow and my first buck on public land. Will post him on the scoreboard as soon as I get him from the processor. I forgot to measure him cause the Auburn game was on ( War Eagle! ). Thanks guys go team 7

16. AUbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  17. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buddy! I wish a buck like that would walk by me on public land!

18. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Guys double check your entries, Fitz updated the list today and we still only have 100 points, make sure your entry was legal and follow all the rules!

19. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here are two of the bucks that for some reason are still hanging out together. The 7 pointer is #1, but I'm not 100% sure I would shoot the other buck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. AUbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I message fitz about the delay in my score cause I didn't measure the buck. He said it was fine to put it in when I got him.