Worth upgrading my 1st bow?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by mike387, Oct 24, 2014.

1. mike387

mike387 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a hand-me-down Diamond Infinite Edge (have yet to make a kill) and was wondering what you guys thought on whether or not it's worth upgrading? I have everything I want to get already picked out and what not, just wondering if the bow is worth it. I decided to spend the money I have now on equipment since I got the bow for free. Thanks for any info and advice!

2. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Save your money and use the bow you have, that is still a very capable bow. Don't get caught up in the hype of the latest and greatest you will go broke. If it fits you well and you shoot it well it should serve you well.

3. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What he said.

I'm using a 2006 Bear Instinct hand me down and will not get a new bow until I take down my first buck with it. This one works just as good as the others.

4. tunnelrat78

tunnelrat78 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    totally agree. save your money.. every year the companies come out with new bows before the season even starts for the following year.. if its not broke why replace it. especially if your shooting well with the bow.. I would stay with it a little longer.

5. mike387

mike387 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cool. Great advice and info guys. I was kinda being lead to believe you can't expect to take big game that well with the IE. So I was getting nervous about future pigs hunts since I know you need some power to break the shield if and when you hit it.

6. mike387

mike387 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This made my day. I want to take at least one pig and turkey with it before I move on to another really. Turkey should be fun.

7. Broadhead27

Broadhead27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm of the opinion If the bow performs well, you are comfortable shooting it, and you like it. Then stick with it and make your upgrades. Keep it if that's the case and get yourself another in the future. My bow was a gift and I don't have any complaints about it so far. I made my little upgrades and I plan to keep it around a while.

8. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Save your money! Don't buy into all the trendy bling out there. If you do buy anything for your rig I suggest a drop away arrow rest.

9. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The answer is simple. Do you like the bow and shoot it well? Bows are like most commodities; they are a luxury, a decency, or a necessity (check out Nassau Senior for more details).

10. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd stick with what you got and I wouldn't be afraid to try a few new bows either. You don't know what you REALLY like until you try others. If you fall in love with something, go for it. If not, keep shooting what you have until something else comes along. Have confidence in your setup!

11. cowsaysmoo

cowsaysmoo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use a mathews switchback I love it!

12. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If it aint broke dont fix it !!!

13. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say do whatever you gotta do to go in the woods confident in putting an ethical shot on an animal. If you've put in the practice time and are confident with your bow now then stick with it.

14. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All true!! However, there are a load of amazing used bows on the market since 2015's are coming out. Check the used area.. I have one on there!

Tom

15. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting an old Bear Kodiak 2 that I got off eBay, still new with tags and in the package. I upgraded the rest, sight, quiver and added a peep and stabilizer. All said and done I have a new rig that cost. Less than a fourth of what the newest models would cost (bow only) and it will kill a deer just as dead.

16. mike387

mike387 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is the mentality I am going with, I feel confident in my ability and bow right now so I'll save the money till I need or really want a new bow. I'm going to go ahead and get a new sight, rest and stabilizer. Possibly get a new/extra string and string stop, the stock one vibrates like crazy. Otherwise I'm sticking with this one!

17. Jimmie

Jimmie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also shoot an Infinite Edge at about 65.6 lbs. May not be as fast as some, but sure as hell passes through a lot of things.
    Very consistent easy shooting bow. I like mine.