possible regret?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by devrieshunter, Oct 22, 2014.

1. devrieshunter

devrieshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I really want to know if I did something wrong. My first deer ever I killed 2 weeks ago and it was a 1.5 year, 4 point buck. My problem is that I don't know if that will ruin the next couple years of bucks. I hunt a 40 acre plot of land (the big rectangle piece of land in the pic) that is basically temperate forest. This is west Michigan btw. I'm only 16 and don't really have the money for trail camera's, but I know there is at least a decent number of deer in the land. So, do you guys think that I should be worried? Or should I be fine since it was just one deer? anything helps guys, thanks. Screen Shot 2014-10-22 at 2.41.08 PM.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  2. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know what you could have done wrong? You took your first deer and had a good hunt. Me and my buddy killed bucks in back to back nights in he same stand. I think you should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. devrieshunter

devrieshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just wondering if killing a young buck could ruin the deer herd (especially bucks)

4. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just dont over pressure with hunting the property. One deer wont have too much affect. too much activity on small property will push deer off of it for a while.

5. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely not.

You killed your first deer... Be happy!!! I am positive there are a lot more deer in that 40 acre lot.

Congrats!

6. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't regret a good hunt. Congrats on your first deer first of all! Aside from that, I wouldn't worry about it. If you get into larger tracts of land and have the ability to manage a herd, or a group of neighbors wants to practice QDMA then you can start thinking about management more. Aside from that, on 40 acres you are going to have bucks coming and going from as far as a mile away or more. Taking one yearling isn't going to ruin anything for hunting.

7. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You'll be fine, don't sweat it.

8. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First off , Congrats on your first buck !!!!

You did absolutely nothing wrong by shooting it . With a decent population around and more being born next year you will have plenty to pick from . Shoot whatever makes you happy and always be happy that you were able to shoot it :tu:

9. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You'll be fine. If that was the only buck around to breed the does (which isn't the case) then you could be worried. No need to worry though.

10. Panacea Nike

Panacea Nike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice Deer, congrats on your first deer and it is a buck. No reason for any regret, you should be proud.

11. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with all of these posts! I own 40 acres, and feared the same thing, but trust me...it will not affect it in anyway. Just don't over pressure the land, and more bucks will show up during the rut, and might make it home!
    Congrats on your first buck!!! :tu:

12. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah don't worry about it. Every year I hunt I always see deer I have never seen before. I know for a fact by talking with guys on neighboring that they come from as much as 5 miles away from their summer "homes". Your not hurting anything on that 40 acre plot. Just home your skills and keep learning. Congrats on the buck.

13. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You took a buck with your bow and arrow!! Awesome and congrats. Dont worry about the future, the deer will be their!

14. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I feel kinda bad for you...you should be STOKED about shooting your first deer with a bow(big time congrats by the way!) and you're worried about what one deer missing will do to the deer herd on 40 acres.
    Don't get so caught up in all this deer management stuff you constantly see on TV and just have fun hunting deer.

15. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats and relax bud. Someones going to breed those does.

16. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't ever regret taking an animal legally. There is no way you will upset your balance on your property with how you have described. Enjoy your moment and be proud of what you did.

17. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is what's wrong with today's hunting society. QDMA.

You killed a great buck, don't regret that at all.

18. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't regret shooting that buck if I were you. If you ask, a lot of guys practice QDMA on here but they also will tell you that when taking their kids hunting for their first deer they encourage their kids to shoot any deer they want. One deer will usually not make a difference in any deer heard unless you start talking extreme cases of low populations.

There is a good chance that there is a big buck walking through your woods right now that gets free pass to next year already, making him a giant next year! You wont see a difference in the number of big bucks in your woods just because of the deer you shot this year.

Congrats on the Buck! I remember the feeling! My first buck was my smallest to date and probably my most exciting deer to shoot and recover!

19. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You're going to be just fine. I think it's great that you're showing concern for the population as a whole, but there's nothing to worry about. It's a great accomplishment, especially at 16 yrs old.

Think about it like this, the deer you took was young, and not very bright. There are plenty of smart ones wandering around those woods right now. How do you know the smart ones? They've lived past 1.5 years.

I'm not trying to make light of the deer you took, as it's a great accomplishment, but somewhere in those woods, is the 5 yr old daddy of that buck you took. So don't worry about it.

You're 16. Harvesting your first deer is a big deal, both emotionally, psychologically, and as a rite of passage. It's not to be taken lightly, and has on many occasion caused grown men to weep. It's ok for you to second guess yourself.

In the end, you'll look back on that day with very fond memories.

20. Pastor Scotty

Pastor Scotty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    MichHunter is right. That deer was young and dumb! Someone who is in the brown it goes down club would have shot him in the rifle season. For every deer you see there is 5 you don't or more! Besides a a spike or a fork is mighty tasty deer. I hunt to be out in nature and to feed my family and not my wall. I just love to hunt and I love bow hunting.
    Pastor Scotty