What am I doing wrong with my scent control?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by I Dream of Fall, Oct 19, 2014.

1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Todd probably drinks Tinks 69. He's just that hard core.

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My travel cloths are prepared the same way as my hunting cloths. They are kept in a sealed container until I am ready to get dressed and run out the door.

3. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No problem, one thing I forgot to mention was to use hardwood for the fire. It's supposed to have higher concentrations of the stuff that makes the smoke smell stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had countless deer down wind of me and they didn't have a clue I was there and I'd like to think it's because of the scent elimination methods I take. If you don't use scent proofing methods then you have to hunt the wind, if you don't hunt the wind then you should use scent proof methods. Both is better than just one in my opinion.

5. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't used any scent reduction this season. My hunting sweatshirt hasn't been washed since last season and the rest of my clothes haven't been washed since turkey season. I hunt the wind, I enjoy hunting more than ever because scent control is like work to me, and I've seen plenty of deer this season. I know more big buck killing machines that don't waste their money on crap the industry has most brainwashed on than guys that spend half their season washing up. It you like scent control great, but if it turns into work know you're still in the game, go hunt!

6. Ranger93

Ranger93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wind is key, no scent control equipment can trick a deer's nose, no matter what you pay. You may control scent enough sometimes to trick one. I hunted without scent control until last year and killed several deer, haven't witnessed more deer than previous years with scent control, could be a mind thing. I've got a buddy without scent control and smoking like a chimney and kills a couple good bucks every year. We gotta face it, deer are fickle. Play the wind, and stay with you scent control regime, it'll pay off eventually.

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the scent away products too. I use a lot of the Fresh earth scent in a spray bottle, I'm sure to get my hat and everything I touch including bow, etc...

I agree a person should play the wind but scent control stuff has allowed me to fudge quite a bit and get by with stuff I should not have been able to get by with. Wind switches...just sayin.

8. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What I do seems to work out pretty good for me, first get some carbon synergy mix it with water and soak your clothes in it then let them hang dry outside, this time of year depending on where you are could be tricky if you don't want your clothes to freeze. Second, when they are dry I spray mine with the carbon synergy again (you don't have to spray them after they dry but I like to) and don't forget your boots and other stuff. After every hunt I spray my clothes generously and hang them on the clothes line overnight. Some might say this is overboard, most probably won't if are like me, but I haven't been winded yet even on the worst days and I've had bucks and does directly down wind and didn't notice a thing. The reason I use carbon synergy is because it's made of activated carbon and silver and when you soak your clothes in it it's almost like wearing a scent blocker suit. There motto is "get creative" because you can use it how ever you want.

9. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think we all know or have known "that guy" who wears red flannel, an elmer fudd cap and carhartts, smokes like a fiend, drinks beer in the field, and knocks them dead every year.

I'm not "that guy." I need all the help I can get.

10. mblenamo

mblenamo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the tip. I bought a bee smoker last night on Ebay. I paid a little extra to get it by Thurs. I want to try this out this weekend.

11. Cattman

Cattman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Are you using scent control gloves and headgear? I like others put the bulk of my clothing on at the base of the tree. I perspire heavily walking a mile to my stand site and want to cover all of that scent possible. I always wear Scentlock full head cover and gloves and don't touch anything around the stand site without the gloves on. My best secret weapon is Border Crossing Scents "Deer Herd in Stick" place on my boots prior to walking in and lower level of ladder stands and have had deer try to climb the ladder to find the other deer.

12. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck, let me know how it works out for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. KHNC

KHNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are u hunting in a plastic bubble? Would u mind passing on your secrets? I get busted quite a few times each season. Be nice to know the magic solution im missing out on. Love to go 5 years without getting winded by deer 360 dgs around me.

14. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree 100% with this statement (post 1999)....the marketing for these products has certainly done an excellent job.

15. I Dream of Fall

I Dream of Fall Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It's the same spot it has always been, but it had not been hunted yet this year.

16. I Dream of Fall

I Dream of Fall Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I do now.

17. I Dream of Fall

I Dream of Fall Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I usually get dressed at my truck and then walk to my stand.

18. I Dream of Fall

I Dream of Fall Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use rubberboots.

19. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very true, but don't forget stand height. Hunting 20-30 feet puts things greatly in your favor as far as detection goes.

20. recurvestalker

recurvestalker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A few things I think have ruined my scent control strategies at different times:
    Bad breath
    Boots with barnyard chicken **** on them
    Not showering
    Trying to use hunting clothing more than twice without washing, unless I swap out for clean base layers.
    Using cover scents incorrectly
    Wind!

Good luck!