What am I doing wrong with my scent control?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by I Dream of Fall, Oct 19, 2014.

1. scoot12

scoot12 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I spray everything. Scoot

2. mblenamo

mblenamo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have heard of doing this and will try it out this year. What is the best way to apply the smoke short of building a campfire and letting the smoke drift across your clothes? I remember some DIY project where a guy made a little smoker canister but I have lost the plans.

3. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You could probably use like a metal can of some sort, I personally spent $30 on a bee smoker which is the best solution but I'm sure there's other ways to just try it out. One thing I do is hang all my clothes up inside a ground blind with the smoker to smoke them up, it being enclosed helps some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. mblenamo

mblenamo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok. This sounds like a really good idea. The area I hunt is Piney woods and used by the timber company. They burn out the underbrush and clearings after they harvest so there is always a smokey smell in the air anyways. Thanks for the post.

5. mickeyt360

mickeyt360 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hunt with the wind. try to be downwind of where you think the deer will come out.

6. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can work yourself to death with an elaborate "scent control" systems and be defeated 8 out of 10 times. Or you can take normal precautions, play the wind, and kill deer. I'll let you pick! :)

7. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Practicing a scent reduction regiment helps boost confidence for those who still think it work's, but that's about it. And....confidence in your sit plays a big part in consistently killing mature bucks.

I don't use any scent reduction at all. I use regular soap, shampoo, deodorant, aftershave....I even like to put bounce fabric softener sheets in with my hunting clothes so they smell good. I routinely go in the store and pump gas in my hunting clothes on my way to the stand.

I pay close attention to the wind, mechanical turbulence and thermals. I haven't been winded by a deer (I was hunting or didn't want to wind me) in many year's. As for ground scent, I want the deer to smell where I've been...I aply controled pressure to the areas I can't hunt due to mechanical turbulence. Encouraging activity in the areas that I CAN hunt and discouraging activity where I CAN'T hunt.

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Feet, socks and boots...have you given thought to that element? I bought a pair of Lacrosse rubber boots and have been getting by really good.
    Getting dressed on site is silly, I dress at home and drive to location and very rarely have any problems. I had a nice 8 point last night that I let walk and he went directly down wind and across my in trail and I was sitting on the ground. I guess dressing on site is okay but I've gotten by just fine without going to that degree.

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Heckler have you ever set around a campfire? Playing the wind is great and I always, I STRESS always take wind direction into the formula when choosing a stand but wind swirls/switches far too much...no?

10. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely, I am just saying people shouldn't beat themselves up trying to be "scent free". It's not logical to to make a career out of it.... Its just not realistic when a deer can smell 10X better then the best nose on a dog.

Take showers with unscented products. Brush your teeth with baking soda or your favored unscented alternate. Use unscented deodorant. Wash your cloths in unscented products. Store and transport your cloths, gear and boots to the field in a air tight container.

Done...

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I got ya, I agree to an extent it can be over thought by some...especially those that feel you truly can beat a whitetail nose...can we trick it long enough or make it think the scent is older than it is...who knows but at most that is what we can accomplish.

12. Beehunter

Beehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This, almost to the letter, is what has been working for me for 25+ years.

It's the WIND. Learn how it affects where you hunt, what it does at sunrise and sunset, and hunt accordingly. That, coupled with spending time in the stand, and being still and quiet, will put deer in your freezer. Trust it and practice it.......you'll see results.

13. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've never taken a shower with scent free soap, brushed my teeth with baking soda, or gotten dressed on site... And I haven't had a problem with deer busting me.

Wash my clothes in scent free detergent, store in scent free tote, and use scent free deodorant during the early season. I like the comment that a deers nose is many times better than a dogs and a majority of the time, it really doesn't matter how many scent free precautions you take because they can still smell you.

14. Ztachick

Ztachick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a buddy shoot a Buck from his stand while being in work clothes from that whole day and smoking a cig. Dont ask me how that buck didnt get spooked but he got the deer.

15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    How old was the buck if you don't mind me asking?

TONS of deer, bucks even fall to guys not practicing any kind of scent control but trust me I would bet my entire savings, house, vehicle and such that more mature bucks fall to guys that are practicing at minimum some kind of scent control...probably more like 3 to 1 or higher.

16. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Was the wind in his favor? There are always an unlimited of unknown variables. I've seen some pretty bizarre things happen over the years. I hope your buddy doesn't think that will happen regularly. He is going to be disappointed!

17. KDORSETT12

KDORSETT12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd suggest using a cover scent like Evercalm or smoking your clothes.

18. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think Todd Graff's hunt in the last espisode of BHOD is a good example of the importance of wind. I can assure you his "scent control" regiment is as good if not better then most hunters. :)

19. Ztachick

Ztachick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

That buck was about 3-4 years old and im not sure i didnt even think to ask. Was about 3 years ago.

20. Sconley81

Sconley81 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For the guys who get dressed in the field...After showering in scent free soap and using scent free deodorant what do you wear to make the drive to your hunting spot? Are those items washed in scent free detergent? I'm just curious as to why not get dressed in the garage hop in the truck and drive, your possibly putting on scented clothes still coming in contact with the interior of your truck and what not. Not bashing it just curious as to how it may help and how much or little scent this prevents.