Doe down but not found, can i keep hunting there?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mathewshunter, Oct 13, 2014.

1. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You come on here and ask how long a uncovered rotting deer is going to screw up you hunting and your wondering why anyone is being critical? It must be nice living with your head in the clouds....

2. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with what most are saying here. However, at what point do you stop searching if you know for a fact that the meat is unusable? Early season with temps in the 70s would you continue to look for a deer for two or three days? Or try to learn from whatever mistake caused you to lose this deer and move on?

3. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I will absolutely take a quartering-to shot on a doe, but then again I'm shooting a 530 grain arrow with a Slick Trick broadhead out of a 70# bow @ 29" draw length so I'm geared up for it. I don't try to avoid the scapula - I shoot straight through it and every time I've taken that shot I've pulled my arrow out of the dirt.

I wouldn't try it with a big buck just because of the increased bone mass, but on a doe? Yep, I'm shooting.

4. Dustin597

Dustin597 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bull **** if you can't look for more then 3 hours you should hang up your bow and not hunt. If you have time to be in the stand you have time to look for a down deer. I think you may need to learn a little more about hunting before you go sit back in the stand. The most important part of a hunt isn't the shot in my eyes its recovering the deer you chose to shot. I have been bow hunting for 15 years and last year I made a bad shot I looked for at least 15 hours and found my deer. I had a blood trail for about 100 yards then nothing I walked my land and he was about 800 yards from where I shot him. You owe it to the deer to look for more the 3 hours.

5. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    From what I've seen, if your planning on going back out hunting there you have time to look for it... Try to learn from it and move on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your pain of losing a deer but posting this on here you could have just as we'll titled it "criticize & bash me".

7. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So, you guys that hunt a drive away from home, do you just do a morning hunt on Saturday? If not, based on the responses, you shouldn't be out there because you don't have time to track it. Not defending this guy, but he said he put 10 hrs in.... I'm sorry, but I'm not going to risk losing my job by calling in sick to track a deer.....

Also, seems like it's fine to lose one if you're a valued member of the forum, but anyone else gets blasted...

8. mathewshunter

mathewshunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe you should learn to read replys that are posted, ive got around 15 hours over a period of 3 days looking for this doe

9. mickeyt360

mickeyt360 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    not to be rude but if you have the time to go out bow hunting again that you have to ask how soon you can hunt the area again you have enough time to be out looking for the deer. if you cant make the time to do that then you should probably not be bow hunting. Its not just about shooting the animal.

10. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've always wondered about this. Of course finding the animal is the number one priority. Always. Making the best shot possible is a big deal. However... If it's warm and the meat is spoiled and it's a doe (only reason I say this is because with a buck the rack could be recovered) what is the real purpose in finding it two or three days later? Again I'm not trying to say we shouldn't put in our effort to do our best to find the deer, but I do question at what point the search becomes futile. Any thoughts on this?

11. KY72

KY72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think you've done due diligence looking for this animal. I'd stay off the forums and get in a tree. The rut is about to start and with heavy rain and a few days for the area to calm down you should be good to go. Have fun and try to take high percentage shots. Good luck!