Thirty Rack - Team 30 Thread

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by LSU327, Aug 18, 2014.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have to agree with the sig pic problem. I also had the same problem last year. I'm setting the text into the signature field and saving it didn't work. I also saved the image and then uploaded it and it shows up in the preview as my current signature but it doesn't show up under my posts.

I'll try again from home later tonight, been doing it from my phone.

2. Lowcountry

Lowcountry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the buck!!!

We have a cold front blowing in tomorrow, the white oaks are dropping cant wait to get back in a tree tomorrow...

3. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll get my first hunt of the year in tomorrow, feel like I've been waiting forever.

4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Alarm set for 4am, hate that first hunt alarm clock. I always forget just how quick I get there and normally could have slept an extra half hour to 45 minutes. Have to stop by Wal mart for some scent killer so should be able to waste some time.

Winds are supposed to be gusty overnight and tomorrow, couldn't be from a worse direction on the coldest night since winter. But think I can make it work, if nothing else think I may try to move a stand and may go buy another or a blind and put one up.

Signature is working now, guess it took a few days or had an admin intervention? Weird, but it's working

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Today was a bit of a bust. Piddled around a little too long and was running a little behind, not bad but would have been in stand about 15 minutes before shooting time. Usually don't have movement until about an hour after anyhow.

Turn off the main road and go down about a mile and the heavy rains a few days ago had a creek out of its banks. Wasn't going to chance flooding my new truck so had to back up the entire way as the road is narrow with banks on both sides so couldn't turn around. No back up lights to boot.

Get to the property and someone else is already down in the bottoms, head to another stand as I'm not sure where they are and it's already getting light. Half way down something comes running up behind me and freaks me out, was 3 of my uncles hound dogs. Shooed them off and got into stand about 10 minutes after shooting time. Seen movement and here comes three of the dogs following my trail all the way to my ladder. They ran around for a bit and then hit the neighboring woods, bellowed and ran around for about an hour before all went quiet.

Ended up seeing a small doe, apparently by herself and that's about it. Got a couple cameras out and cleared a few lanes and headed home.

Ordered a tree blind to try out. Going to try and set it up where I was wanting to figure out a way to ground hunt from. Have 3 trees in a small group, but deer can come from any direction. Going to try to set this up with a strap on tree seat, if nothing else I'll set it in a tree for next year.

Not sure when I'll make it out again, going to warm up for a couple weeks before cooling back down to end the month. Would like to get out at least one day to get this set up and brushed in a bit. Bought some netting to put around the base so I can set it high enough to comfortably stand and position myself in and hopefully conceal my feet movement. It's a gamble, but think it may pay off.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  6. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Finally...opening day arrived! Was able to sit on stand for the evening hunt and saw quite a few does...all too far away for a shot. Beautiful night out there though. Also, saw a doe with white ears, white face, and white hocks. Apparently a piebald doe...neat to see.

7. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job, LSU. Way to put us on the board!

I had a couple really good sits this weekend. Saturday night I saw two shooters, but they were too far away. Sunday night I had a 120 inch 4x4 at 10 yards, but elected to pass. Things are only going to get better with harvest around the corner. The forecast looks pretty boring for the next week, though. Highs in the low 60s for everyday.

8. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here's one of my new target bucks. He's a main frame 6x5, with a kicker and split brow tine on one side. I had him on camera three times in the last week, twice during shooting hours. I think he's around for the long haul.

[​IMG]

9. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice, Boof! Sounds like it's just a matter of time before you get it done. Sounds like you're hunting in a great area.

10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Was wanting to make it out today, but work has just been kicking my butt lately.

I'm not fighting with them on overtime right now, figure I'll give them what they want until Halloween and then it's my time. Probably isn't hurting anything staying out of the woods before the rut anyhow.

I'll make it out at least one day before Halloween , hopefully.

11. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had a really good sit yesterday. I had one of my target bucks at 35 yards, but there was no shot. I'm hoping he'll be back next weekend.

12. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Guys, I've been so spoiled this season. I saw 11 bucks tonight, seven of them were in bow range. I passed on all of them, but there were a couple 125ish 4x4s in the group that I nearly shot.

I'll be out in the morning, hoping to see a shooter.

13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, sounds like an awesome sit. I can only hope to have a sit like that come the rut.

Good luck this morning, hope they're cooperating.

14. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow Boof, good for you, I would be thrilled to see half of your numbers. My fishing tournament is winding down and will be putting the majority of my time into hunting soon. Looking good for my time off in November.

15. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The overtime schedule for this weekend should be out this afternoon.

I requested Saturday off but it's not guaranteed. Hoping to get out a day or two this weekend. I will get out at least one day regardless.

16. cunninghamww

cunninghamww Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I haven't been posting much, fellas. Finally stuck one last night so I've got my doe out of the way.

Here's a frame of her heart exploding: [​IMG]

17. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe!

Looks like I may be good for the entire weekend, still awaiting final approval on the schedule but my presence is not currently required.

18. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome! I envy you guys who can shoot does. Archery doe tags in South Dakota have been gone since EHD hit three years ago.

19. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alright, cunninghamww! Great shot and way to get on the board for Thirty Rack!

20. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tomorrow is a go, going to get in extra early as to not be followed down by the dogs this time :lol:

Wind is supposed to be South switching to NW throughout the morning which means it will probably be coming from the east. Temps aren't ideal, but I should be out before the bugs wake up, hopefully with a doe in tow.

Good luck to anyone else getting out this weekend. Still looking like a good shot of cold coming for the end of the month, really looking forward to Halloween