How many deer did you miss before your first one?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by spoon33, Oct 14, 2014.

1. spoon33

spoon33 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'll start and admit I have missed 4 deer with my bow. I blame a lot of it on not practicing enough and no range finder. I have one now and believe it's the best investment I have made, along with a new bow. The first 3 deer I missed were with an old high country my brother gave me and no range finder. Until I started practicing more and using a range finder I never realized how much your shot misses bullseye if you are off only a few yards.

Thankfully I've missed all does, and have had a few shots at bucks, but all have been young. I'm hopeful this year I'll break the curse.

Anyone else miss a few before they connected or is everyone a natural and smokes then the first time out?

2. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I missed one. And not by much. Had a little hair on the vein. Next one came through 15 min later and I nailed him through the heart :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One..

4. stillmanchad

stillmanchad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wounded one.... Prior to my first buck

5. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Got the first deer I ever launched an arrow at... then missed a bunch before I got another one - too anxious and over confident. Then I didn't shoot at a bunch for several years - waiting for the 'perfect shot'.

6. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I believe I missed two before I finally got my tag on one.

7. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    2. The first one I stuck an arrow in a tree 15 feet off the ground. The second one I barely missed. The third one had a really bad day.... right through the heart.

8. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I dont know the exact number but when I was much much younger.. I missed several and then I got my first bow kill.. I shot a button buck in the spine with one of my dads old recurves. He dropped in his tracks and did the curly shuffle in front of me. I panicked and flung a few more arrows at him from the tree and missed with all of them. I got down and had to stop him with my foot to put the final arrow in him. That wasnt quick enough when you are standing there over a deer watching it die (I actually had bad dreams about that deer for some time after that). I now never get in a tree without my knife just in case I ever make a horrible shot like that again. Thankfully I have killed a lot of deer with my bow since then and never had anything that bad happen. I have made a bad shot or two and was never able to recover them tho. If you bow hunt enough thats going to happen tho. Long story, I know.. but that was my first bow kill!

9. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wiffed on two shots before I actually connected on a deer. The first one I didnt have a range finder and my yardage estimation was way off. I thought she was at 30 but later determined she was at about 43, I missed low by a mile.

The second one I missed came in with another doe. I had one of them at 25 yards (I had a range finder this time) quartering away and flinched on the shot and sent it over her back by about a half an inch. Both does jumped and the other doe ended up stepping out into a shooting lane at 35 yards. That was when I connected on my first doe, right in the liver. She limped off and I almost threw up. She ended up getting eaten by coyotes before I could get to her, worst feeling ever and a rough rookie bow season.

10. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Killed the first deer I shot at last year... A big nanny doe. This year is a different story... Have missed 2 shooter bucks so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Never missed one but have not recovered them all, always try to do it right but stuff happens. Over the years I have shot twice and not put a tag on it the first time was the first time the second I tracked to a gut pile

12. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    First shot I missed bad.

13. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I first started, I hunted mostly out of a climber. I didn't have a range finder cause I thought " I didn't need one ". Well, if I remember correctly, I emptied a full quiver, 6 arrows, at two doe fawns and didn't even come close. It was so bad that I went down the tree, gathered my arrows, climbed back up the tree and tried again. Needless to say that I have obviously learned a great deal.
    Since that day, not saying that all have been perfect shots, but I haven't missed.
    After that episode at the shooting gallery I tried to hold out for a buck. After a few years of waiting I finally shot a 5 pointer. Now I either harvest does or I have a self inflicted point restriction on bucks.
    I also practice my a$$ off and only take the right shot. I don't take chances.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  14. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One. 1st hunt... before range finders, pins, releases and there wasn't much for deer. 2nd buck wasn't so lucky !!!

Tim

15. Bowafide

Bowafide Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Missed one and wounded one my first year...took awhile to get over wounding the one, especially because he was a beautiful ~150" buck - hit him between the back bone and lungs. I think this is a good discussion going here because if anything, these misses that are inevitable, should drive us to practice, practice, practice. I don't want to sound like a preacher, but we owe it to the game that we pursue to make confident, ethical shots. That being said, we are all human, mistakes will be made.

16. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Zero...

17. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Zero. But one time I missed three shots in a row on the same doe. :bow: Figured out afterward my sight had been knocked way loose. Always fire a shot or two at the black hole now before heading out to make sure everything's on. I wounded one once too. That sucked. Arrow to the front shoulder. Lived to walk by me another season.

18. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Started 8 for 8. All of the deer were within 15 yards. Missed first deer last year. It was 30 yard shot. I aimed at the bottom of her thinking she might duck the string. She was feeding and calm. I had 20 pin on her instead of 30. Just grazed her belly.

My 9th deer this year I almost feel like it was a miss. I spined a doe that I believe jumped my string. I stopped her so she was alert at 25-30 yards. Aimed low like before with 30 yards set on adjustable pin.

Any alert deer I shoot at from that distance in the future I will aim for the air right below the belly from here on out. If they don't move I should miss and if they jump the string I should have a better hit.

Luckily I haven't hit anything and not recovered. I know it will happen at some point, but I try to do everything possible to be proficient with a bow and take good shots.

Always learning from experiences with deer even when I get them. Plenty more to learn.

19. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Smoked first deer I ever shot at. First ten minutes of legal shooting time 120" 8 pointer.

20. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hit my first deer shot at, but did not recover. Was a small doe or button buck and hit in the front shoulder. Was a full 30 yards and anxiety got the best of me.

After that I limited myself to 15yds or less and next shot was successful on a button buck at 8 yds about a month later.