What cover scents and deer lures work best for you!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mickeyt360, Oct 14, 2014.

1. mickeyt360

mickeyt360 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello everyone what cover scents and deer lures does everyone use? right now I use scent eliminator and tinks doe pee. So far it has seemed to work im just looking for other options in the future that might work better.

2. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I won't tell you what my scent control regimen is since there will be a boat load of naysayers comment that don't know what they are talking about and that would change the thread topic. As far as a scent goes, I have used Evercalm and Deer Dander with very good results. If H.S Lickin Stik was still available, I would be using that as well. I believe there is way too much deer pee being used. I would try to find a quality gland type of lure.

3. joshua.waymire.1

joshua.waymire.1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started using buck butter this year. Same concept as evercalm but for me I've had better results in my area with it. It all depends on what the deer want. But I agree that you need to find a gland lure, pee isn't worth the money since it doesn't last and after a while its no different than your own pee or a dogs or an elephants lol.

4. DnH_Scents

DnH_Scents Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This.

Im partial but I like gland lures as well but you need to understand what your goals are. If you hope to make a purchase, open the bottle and then sit back to be covered up in bucks, then you are going to be disappointed. What are your scent use goals?

I use gland scent I make to condition deer to visit and revisit a spot to my choosing. THen they make the natural scrapes and rubs in the areas I place the scent. Its not something you take out the day you hunt and expect deer to come busting in. I fear too many people expect to buy a scent and use it the same day and have the deer come in on a string. Then they get disappointed and convince themselves all scents are crap. Here are some videos of one conditioning licking branch I set up for a scent trial. Im working on loading up more pics/videos as time allows and Im expecting more footage from other users.

This next video is NOT mine but shows how a buck deposits his forehead gland on a tree. Most folks think rubs are about antlers but they are actually all about depositing scent from the forehead gland. Notice how he smealls and tastes his work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOYZCf8t1vw

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the fall or earth scent. I like bone collectors and scent away max.

6. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also use evercalm scent stick I like it and think it works. I don't use any pee on me not into that I would rather smell like dirt.

7. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    H.S. Earth Wafers.

8. MNhuntingRube

MNhuntingRube Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For cover scent I use Dead Down wind a few days before a hunt and leave clothes outside. I have had deer 20 yards down wind and haven't been busted yet. Haven't found a scent lure that I would swear by yet but I think it depends on your situation. If you have Private land and you can control the situation and take the time to condition your deer then mock scraps and gland lures are the way to go. If you are on public land and have to roll the dice on where the deer will be then try it all.

9. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wash in scent free soap, smoke my gear. I'm pretty happy with that. I have not had any luck with any lure scents(Mostly pee scents). I assume not to get to caught up in thinking my lure is going to magically draw a deer in, may work for others, just not for me. I like to go out with the thought that I'm not going to see anything, so anything over that is a bonus. I may try a gland scent this year though.

10. colton96

colton96 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lowes buck butter. I am a firm believer after the 3 encounters ive had the past week while using it

11. devrieshunter

devrieshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scent Killer Gold with Hunt Dry technology...Had a deer stand right on top of where I was sitting for over an hour and he had no clue I was there, at least until my arrow went through his lungs :)

12. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Tinks b tech is amazing. Plus I use they're hot shots and spray them in the wind every 30 mins while hunting really helps spread scent to attract plus covers up any of my scent that's lingering around.

13. Shaftem

Shaftem Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ive had good luck using evolve clothing wash to wash my clothes and i bathe and use the deodorant made by Nose Jammer I also use Nose Jammer on the soles of my boots to walk in and out. ill use a little on the tree im in as well. its worked pretty good even when the wind was not in my favor