Approaching downed deer.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Muzzy Man, Oct 5, 2014.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    About 6-7 years ago I shot a buck with a somewhat marginal shot. He stumbled and ran right past my stand. I nocked another arrow and let it rip, hitting the buck in the spine. He dropped and crawled about 30 yards away and "died" as he rested in a little man made hole. I waited a bit, got down, and then walked up to the sucker and poked him with an arrow. He turned his antlers and swung them at the darn arrow!

I was like holy crap! I finished him after that with another arrow. What a tough buck.

[​IMG]

2. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well... it does happen guys. Please be careful approaching any deer. Especially if one has an arrow still in it ... broad-heads will cut more than a deer.

3. Viper21

Viper21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    HAHAHAHAHA....!! Awesome...

4. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I was 7 or 8 my dad shot a deer. Pretty decent 10. We saw it go down on the next ridge . We watched it for probably 15 minutes after it's last movement. We got up went to the truck to get knives then went to get it. Probably an hour had passed since he shot it. We walked up to it from behind he poked it 3 times like he always does. He reached down grabbed the antlers and that thing threw him like nothing. Got up took two strides and fell over dead. It was the craziest thing. Scary as Hell for an 8 year watching his dad getting thrown to the ground by a supposedly dead deer. My dad was a strong guy at that age as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

5. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a funny. This was in Guam. I was just discovering bow-hunting wild hogs. A buddy and I were walking a trail and came up on a dead hog just laying there next to the trail. I figured someone had shot it and left it where it was, maybe to get help dragging it. We stopped to look at it and when we did it awakened from it's nap, jumped up and took off squealing. I about peed myself it scared me so bad.

6. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just pee'd a little. LOL.

7. Locked

Locked Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    3 years ago, Shotgun Hunting, buddy of mine stayed up the night before watching funny you tube vids of deer jumping and scaring the crap out of hunters and reading threads like this. Shot a buck went down within 30 yds waited 45 min till we could get over to help him. he walks up poked it it a loud growl come from it (air pushing out from the lungs) he freaks and blast it in the neck and screams like a girl. We all fell over laughing, crying im laughing so hard about it right now!

8. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone ever read the classic: "The Deer On A Bicycle" by Patrick F McManus? One of the funniest hunting stories of all time. Tried to find it to post but am striking out so far.

9. bamerslamer50!

bamerslamer50! Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My dad shot a doe with his .308 on a steep ridge. When he shot the deer dropped like a rock and slid all the way to the creek bottom. We sat our guns down to go drag her up the hill and when we got down to her she stood up looked at us and walked off like nothing happened. Neither one of us had a gun for a follow-up shot. Guy put some dogs on her and she was killed a little while later by a little kid and he dad. It was pretty funny.

10. cubs204

cubs204 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Farther than I care to admit :dan:. When we approached her again we did so with extreme caution lol.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  11. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In our younger days we used to do a lot of deer drives during the ohio shotgun season. I've had to dispatch quite a few deer with my 4" buck vanguard via heart stab. Also had to hold a deer down and dispatch it with a pocket knife that hot hit on a busy road breaking bog back legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
  13. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That was funny

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

14. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Many years ago around the age of 16 I was hunting alone with a muzzleloader. I ended up making a less than perfect shot and tracked the deer around 1000 yards. I topped a large half dry creek look over and see this nice 8pt looking directly at me. I pull up my weapon, aim and Fire. When the amoke clears there he was just looking at me like wtf. That was my last bullet. All I had on me was my gut hook knife. I slowly approached him and he let me slit his throat. I was young and had no clue what I was doing. It was an experience I will never forget.

15. iahawk

iahawk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    3 years ago I shot a buck. He ran 30 yards and went down. His head came up once right after he crashed but it went down again right away. I stared at his white belly for 20 minutes with him not moving before I got down to go get my buddy for help dragging. We got back in about 2 hours later to find a pool of blood where he had been laying and 3 more drops of blood over about 15 yards. I never was able to recover him.