heart shot and little blood

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by dtimm77, Oct 10, 2014.

1. dtimm77

dtimm77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is the second deer ive heart shoot well my second ever. Last year was a 3 blade Walmart special watch her drop. But vary little blood. Last night i shoot a doe with kz maxx but no blood. Blow right through her and barred 3 in in the dirt. Followed a trail and 30 yards and there was a puddle look up and there she was 20 yd.there was a puddle by her. Has anyone seen less blood wit heart shoot

2. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes. I had it last year where it all pooled in the chest cavity

3. Granny's Slaughter House

Granny's Slaughter House Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same here. I got specks here and there. I literally had my face on the ground looking for blood. It was a 50 yard recovery, with a lot of blood at the end of it and her laying 5ft from the blood. Opened her up and she flowed like a river.

Attached Files:

4. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get rage. You'll be following a red carpet. Don't listen the crowd that shouts they don't open. I can post pics of deer, bears, water buffalo, boars that were all killed by yours truly with a rage. The one time someone convinced me to use a different broad head I almost shot him after. I tracked a double lunged deer for 5 hours. It was only about 75 yards from where I shot it. But there was almost no blood and it was super thick bush. So we were literally stepping on the deer not knowing. Never again after that. Rage all the way.

5. smackhonda

smackhonda Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Everytime ive had a heart shot it looks like a red can of paint exploded and they do not go far....ive always shot muzzys.

6. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There is alot of FAT on all deer this year...pluggin up entry and exit holes. Old wise tale say it's Gonna be a bad winter weather wise.

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^Great Advice^

8. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_2571.jpg

Shot a basket 6pt in 2011 from 27 yards with a muzzy 90 4 blade... here is the heart. I dont think I could have walked up and stuck in arrow into the middle of it any better. He went 50-60 yards tops. Very little blood on the ground till I was right on top of him. The arrow lodged in the backside shoulder so it didn't have an exit hole.

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rage is not for everyone, those with a low KE setup would be disappointed with the performance. Rage works well with a arrow over 400 grains.

Anytime you get an exit would you will have a better blood trail to follow

10. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Doe I shot this past Wednesday didn't bleed a whole lot, but she only went 20 yards so I didn't expect much blood trail.

Deer 10-8-14.jpg

11. Govtrapper

Govtrapper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    An old man told me once he would rather shoot a deer in the lungs because if you take the heart out you stop the pump. By that lil blood trail. Do t k ow if what he said is rite or not but it's something an it makes a lil sense

12. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't buy that arguement either.

Ill get flamed for this but oh well here we go. I shot a young buck at 84 yards two years ago. Disclaimer. I shoot competitively at 80meters which is about 90 yards. I practice daily at that distance. I would normally not take this shot but in this circumstance I could. The buck was totally clueless to my presence, if he was at all sketchy I wouldn't have taken shot. He was face down feeding. Wind was perfect. Th arrow flew and he didn't move until it hit him. Ill find the pics but this buck was double lunged and the arrow was 3" deep in dirt. My bow yes is a 70lb bow. But at 84 yards I'm sure the KE was less than a 50lb bow at 30 yards. Rage worked just fine.

I've also hit a black bear at 52 yards. Right through.

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a buck at 25 yards with an arrow just over 450 grains Bow has a 74# DW Rage hypodermic. The arrow did not pass thru and the blood trail was spotty, the only bone involved was ribs. I recovered the deer but there was no red carpet

14. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Last year i shot a buck at 30 yards. went in took out the heart and came out in his arm pit. no blood trail because he was running and kept his arm pit covered. as soon as he jumped over a downed tree, he went 5 yds and those 5 yds looked like a freakin blood bath. so mine it was mostly pooled up in the chest. think it was mostly just the angle i hit him at.

15. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Blood trails can get funky man. The only deer I ever heart shot was locked up looking at me after the shot and I was watching the blood pump out both sides. G5 montec. Then you blame the broadhead and everyone on the forums tries to bash you for talking bad about the broadhead haha. Glad you found your deer brother, I know your pain. Had two deer that I db lunged shot last year drop inside 60 yards of me, with little to no blood on both deer. And those were killzones, both blades deployed horizontally I think thats why tho.

16. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Why would you think you'd get "flamed" for shooting @ a deer @ 84 yards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I believe that this is the answer…. sort of. In my opinion it really depends on the entry and exit wounds and where you hit the heart. I just finished quartering a doe that I shot at 5:45 this afternoon. The Slick Trick drilled the top of the heart. There was blood sprayed at the point of impact but a very minimal blood trail. She was 10 yards from my tree when I shot. The entry wound was around mid-way up the chest and the exit wound was low out the off-side front leg. There's a lot of skin and sinew involved with an exit wound there.

In cases like this, the heart is gushing blood into the chest cavity but there's no pressure at all to pump the blood out the entry or exit wound.

I've seen lower heart shots put out a blood trail that looks like it was poured out of a bucket, but like I said, it all depends on how high the entry and exit wounds are as well as the location of the wounds.

I did bring my beagle, Elly May, down and let her trail her first deer. She went straight to it. I'm proud of that little beagle.

18. str8shooter

str8shooter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    its been my experience that if I don't get a full pass thru then I don't get the blood trail I like.

19. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We have a family meat processing and small slaughter plant business. When we load animals into the "knocking box", we put a .22 LR between the eyes then cut the throat. The reason blood pours out is because the animal is not dead and the heart is still pumping. I am not a four legged critter pathologist, but I would think that if the lower chambers of the heart were penetrated, the blood wouldn't dump out like it would if the upper chambers were penetrated.

I would prefer a lung shot, but heart and lungs works super well too!

20. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure no expert here either, but I think the reason that the blood trail is usually much more significant on a lower heart shot is that the exit wound is going to be very low in the chest, especially if you're shooting from 20 feet high or more. A heart shot anywhere shuts the pump down, but it seems to me that you'll get a lot more blood on the ground if there's a hole in the bottom of the deer's chest.