@@@@@@ Team 21 Thread @@@@@@

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by BJE80, Aug 18, 2014.

1. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well after last night's onslaught of the nationwide doe population it's weird to get on this thread and not see new bloodshed!

Anyone else hunting anytime soon?

I hung a new set today specifically for the light colored ten with plans to hunt it Sunday evening with anything but an east wind. I moved across the creek from where I had my first encounter with him setup on an oak flat that borders our creek and our adjacent wheat field. As I was leaving the field to get the side by side to retrieve my doe I saw the light ten and the big 9 with four other small bucks feeding their way across the wheat and right into the flat I'll be hunting. I'm hoping they'll stay happy on that pattern til the weekend and I'm optimistic I'll have another encounter with him. This time with more shooting light and from 20 yards instead of 70.

2. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    JJ, dont forgot to post to the scorecard thread with your two pictures and kill info (Date, Time, etc.)

We should be right at 200 pts once the scorecard is updated. Im hoping to make it out Saturday so we can be at 250!

3. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just a friendly reminder for our team

What's needed:
    Two photos that have the deer, hunter and bow in them
    Date & Time of kill
    Team number
    Breakdown in scoring for all bucks over 50"

4. jjnowak

jjnowak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I'll post to the scorecard today.

5. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    Good call!!! I'm assuming the mods sent out a contest wide reminder in reference to the hilarious chain of posts in the scorecard thread yesterday regarding someone without two pictures with bow, self, and deer.

6. NC_Bowhunter

NC_Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats you guys and gals that got us some points on the board!! Me and my son are going after them this evening so wish us luck. Whitetail Institute food plot is looking great!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412715991.872766.jpg

7. Humpythahunter

Humpythahunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Rocky!!!

8. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jjnowak
    Congrats on your doe also, wow I better start hunting and produce something.Be back Friday night.Keep up the good work team.
    Rocky

9. msigman

msigman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been at work mre than I want to lately. Going to go out friday - Sunday and try and do my part to add to our point total. Good job so far and good luck to the people heading out this weekend. Be safe!!!!

10. Jake C.

Jake C. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys i shot a doe on Saturday morning and never found her. I was shooting the Rage hypodermics and the dang thing never opened up. I still don't understand how we didn't find her i hit her perfect double lunged her with no doubt in my mind. I think because of the broad head not opening up she was able to run a lot farther or something. Im back at it this weekend though! Congrats to all of you who got deer!

11. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that jake! Stay after it, unfortunate to hear about the rage failure.

12. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    Man Oh man I'm getting itchy to hunt that new set! I'm going to miss a cold front that's settling into Kansas Friday and Saturday bringing some rain with it. I'd love to be hunting it, but can't on account of work. My turnips however could use the rain and I'm thankful for that. Hopefully Sunday as the front moves through the deer will be back on their feet and sticking to the routine I observed last Sunday evening! I've never been so jacked to hunt a set!!! I feel like I'm finally closing the gap between myself and the light 10 I've been daydreaming of all summer. I may connect, I may get skunked. All I know is I love the chase, I love hunting mature bucks, and I'm blessed to be able to do so. Good luck everyone!

13. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I made it out yesterday morning for a bowhunt with the Eclipsed Full Blood Moon, it was really neat to watch.
    I made it to the tree I wanted to climb and around 8:00am I had a button feeding on acorns below me. After a while he wandered off and then at 9:00am I see a doe and button buck fawn working up the ridge towards me.
    The doe came into 20 yards from me and facing straight at me. I waited till she turned her head and then drew back. I was thinking she was gonna turn when she turned her head, but Nope, she just stood facing straight at me. I held the bow back at full draw for 1 minute 25 seconds and I was beginning to shake when she finally turned.

So the impact of the shot was not where I was aiming at, I can only assume from me shaking from holding the bow back for so long. So After 15 min or so I climbed down with my climber and packed it up retrieved the arrow which was solid green from the gut shot I knew I made and I quietly exited the area the opposite direction that she had gone.

We didnt want to push the doe so we gave her around 6 hours and then went to look for her. We only found one drop of blood and then started a grid search, Luckily my husband found her not 70 yards from where I shot her and to both our suprise she was already stiff as a board.
    I believe my broadhead had nicked the femoral artery.
    I got it on film. You will see her enter the frame on film in the left side center, I didnt get to zoom in on the shot since she was facing me and I was only about 12 feet up in the tree so I was afraid she would bust me with any extra movement I would make.[video=youtube_share;V57dwAsNW_8]http://youtu.be/V57dwAsNW_8[/video]

14. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on another doe LF! Awesome to get it on video too!

15. youngfart

Dislikes Received:
    Lady Forge
    You did it again , awesome , congrats again. I hear the bucks are coming to the rattling good right now.Might have to try it Saturday.Fly home tomorror .talk to you's tomorrow.
    Rocky

16. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hope ya have a good hunt on Saturday. :tu:

I might get to go hunt Sat afternoon if I get off work in time.

17. youngfart

Dislikes Received:
    Got Home Today
    Went out and tried to shoot but my peep site was upside down. Must have happened on my fall on my last moose hunt. Tried to shoot and my peep was actually side ways so I couldn't look through my peep. I'll have to pass on my morning hunt and go to the archery place and have them realine my peep and put my bow in a bow press to straighten my peep so I can see through it. I see my start is failing already,lol ,good luck to those hunting tomorrow.
    Rocky

18. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    1 more day of work tomorrow and I can get in a tree......I've been around too much pavement lately, I'm so ready for some relaxation on the ranch

19. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear about your peep Rocky! Good luck when you get back in the field

20. youngfart

Dislikes Received:
    Dang
    Went to the Archery Lanes and they were closed for the weekend! So I came home and pulled my backup bow out to shoot and shot darts with it. Surprised as I haven't had to use it since Will was here 3 years ago. Thank God for backups,I can still hunt this afternoon in high winds out of the west and a balmy 63f. Every time I had to go to my backup bow I've scored, funny thing is it's set @60lbs and my Elite is @ 55lbs and I can't pull the 60 on it yet! Go figure! Shoulder must be getting stronger. Jeff good luck tomorrow on your hunt.
    Rocky