Doe in heat scent???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bryanfichter, Oct 7, 2014.

1. bryanfichter

bryanfichter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone had any success with doe in heat scent? I'm looking to get a scent to use for this season. Does anyone else have any recommendations

2. DnH_Scents

DnH_Scents Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The pheromones that make doe in heat scent attractive to bucks is gone within 36 hours of the doe urinating. That means that by the time the urine is bottled and packaged and on the shipping dock, its just urea, water and ammonia. You can produce that yourself. Urine is the number one scent sold because its so easy to produce but it is the least effective scent to deer. The woods is literally saturated with deer pee.

Even if you were to kill a doe in her peak of estrous and capture her urine right from her bladder, in 36 hours, that urine may as well be from you or a cow or a goat. This is why so many guy have success by peeing in scrapes they make.

3. LI Bowhunter

LI Bowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is very interesting, did not know that. What would you recommend as a scent if any at all?

4. DnH_Scents

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a pretty open question. Are you talking point of hunt scent? (re put out the moment you plan to hunt) or are you looking for a conditioning scent? (re one you establish and possibly refresh to condition deer to return to a spot)

Consider how deer interact with and rely on scent. What is your goal in a scent product? Once a person thinks through how deer use scent and communicate with scent, it helps us to understand the proper scent for the desired outcome.

5. LI Bowhunter

LI Bowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Let's say a scent used at the moment you plan to hunt.

6. DnH_Scents

Dislikes Received:
    The ideal scent to most hunters is one that is very low cost and one where you simply open the bottle and every downwind deer is drawn to that exact location. That is a unrealistic expectation for a scent. Remember no scent works all the time but all scents work some of the time. The ways to use scents is pretty varied.

Making mock rubs,

Making mock scrapes

Making licking branches

Making mock trails (drags)

Simple scent wick hanging scent

Food scent

Gland scent

Urine scent

Bedding scent

Cover scent

Other species scents

The list goes on and a person needs to really consider what he wants to do and what they are trying to mimic.

Rule number one. Have realistic expectations and don’t underestimate a deer’s nose. Not every deer is a rut crazed buck oblivious to everything with red swollen eyes and crazed with mating on his mind.

Deer can only encounter the scent you put out by being down wind of that scent. If you are down wind of that scent then you are also in th scent path. That means you really need to hunt far down wind of the scent you put out. Most people dont do that. THey think getting up in a stand is all that is required. We dont see all the deer that approach down wind to scent check and then leav once they smell us along side the scent we put out. We end up educating the deer to relate that scent we place with human scent. Annually hunters spend huge dollars on scent and then dont use them properly and get frustrated and blame the scent for being no good.

7. LI Bowhunter

LI Bowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great information, thanks!!!!!

8. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I love Tinks #69 gel... great for boots, scrapes - and it lasts and last!

9. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is an interesting idea, but do you have any evidence to support your claim. Maybe a specific scientific study by a credible organization. Excuse me for being skeptical, but if I believed everything that was put on the internet, I'd be a moron. I'm not saying your wrong, but I've done some research on this myself and haven't really found anything.

10. DnH_Scents

Dislikes Received:
    I cant link you to a peer reviewed study but In my years of doing this, I have read it more times than I can remember. There are more than enough guys selling deer lures and not all are (being kind here) honest. While I do sell my own brand of deer lure (none are urine based) one of the better and more respected brands is Paul Pollicks. He sells both glandular tinctures like I do but he also sells urine based scents and is very open about the pheremone disipation and Biologists routinely state estrogen and progresterone present in doe in heat or estrus doe urine break down rapidly in doe urine and cannot be contained.

Urine breaks down quickly and you are left with urea, water and ammonia. In sohrt order its all thats left and cant be distinguished from deer, cows, sheep, people, etc. Its just that deer farms are acapable of producing gallons and gallons of this a day. Its the biggest byproduct and cheapest to get to market. Glandular scents are only collected post mortem and are not a renewable resource and as such are more costly to bring to market but are the more effective scents.

11. KHNC

KHNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I stopped using urine based scents quite a few years back. Now I use evercalm. I have had very good results by putting on boots walking in along with rubbing it on saplings next to my stand site. I have yet to see a deer spook from this scent and have had many deer sniff it excessively, bucks and does. Its my only scent used for deer now. Ive tried the over priced VS-1 with no results to speak of. For me ,im sticking with non urine and non estrus scents.

12. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've uses all kinds of scents through the years and I have always had more success with Tink's products. I really love the Tink's Hot Shot. I love that it's aerosol and it will spray in any direction whether the can is upside down, sideways, front ways, anyways and it'll spray. It's also a fine mist so after I have sprayed a trail to my stand I'll sit up and do a couple of sprays in the stand and watch it waft through the woods. Lastly, it has two settings. One is a spray as you go/check the wind direction and second, if you press the button down until it clicks, you know have a scent bomb and it will spray the entire can. It's very quiet too. Check em out.

13. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey ,gotta agree with KHNC. That Evercalm and H.S Lickin Stik have been the most effective lures for me. Have lots of trailcam vids of all kinds of deer licking this stuff. Too bad Lickin Stik is no longer available. The Code Blue Rack Rub has been a bust as far as a forehead gland scent goes.

14. KHNC

KHNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My first thought was , what is a lickin stik? Then I read its not available. HS used to make that synthetic scrape dirt too. Id like to have more of that. I have had decent luck using the Tinks scrape starter spray. Forgot about that.

15. DnH_Scents

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder what peoples expectations are when buying/using scents?

I suppose its fair that they are based on the sales pitch and the claims put on the packaging.

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    People seem to think there is a short cut to getting deer in front of you, that if you buy the right potion the deer will come

17. buggs

buggs Newb

Dislikes Received:
    gimmicks!