Mock scrapes, buck rubs and the importance of the forehead gland

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by DnH_Scents, Oct 1, 2014.

1. DnH_Scents

DnH_Scents Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are always threads questioning or seeking info on mock scrapes or licking branches or deer rubs and deer lures and scents and typically the talk focuses on Urine based scents. I think the reason for that is the hunting industry is saturated (pun intended) with urine. That’s because it’s the easiest compound to collect. You need only live deer and a means of collecting their pee (and they pee a lot) and especially the pee of does in estrous.

Little is mentioned (although its increasing of late) in the most important scent marker or gland in deer, that being the forehead gland and how mock scrapes, licking branches, mock rubs (both horizontal and vertical)and even decoying can be used to the advantage of the hunter by incorporating other scents besides pee. I think this is because its so easy to buy pee, spill in on the ground and hope for the best thinking you have just fooled the biggest bucks in the area.

I think it pretty well understood that many of the big bucks we never see is because they scent check from a down wind position looking for the reasons to expose themselves or put themselves at risk meaning what they smell is so intriguing that they lower their sense of self preservation to investigate the scent they encountered

If you are interested in increasing your working knowledge of how deer communicate via scent, Ive included a few links that you may enjoy that may get you to thinking more about other scent compounds. This has been a passion of mine for years and I enjoy reading as much as I can about how deer communicate. You may find it of value as well. Im just glad there are researchers out there studying this for us

Research study of deer forehead gland secretions and communications and social status (dominance)

Volatile Compounds from the Forehead Region of Male White-Tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginianus) - Springer

Additional glandular research that mentions the deer’s “2nd nose” for scent checking

Yahoo!

Interesting reading on the role of deers glandular communication

http://www.woods-n-waternews.com/Ar...skin_glands_in_deer_odor _communication.html

Forehead glands in white-tailed deer and their role.

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

An interesting video from the University of GA and Dr. Miller talking about deer scent communications.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. cmkilo02

cmkilo02 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good info. Thanks!

3. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have to agree. The most active mock scrape I ever had was made only with the H.S Lickin Stik. Unfortunately, it's no longer available

4. martin sabre1967

martin sabre1967 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    very good info. thanks for sharing with everyone..deer are a very interesting species that's for sure.

5. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Constantly learning... thanks for posting.