About to give it up...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MnHunterr, Oct 2, 2014.

1. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I missed another big buck tonight... The 2nd one in 3 weeks. Both deer 13yds. Both deer complete broadside. Both shots over their backs.

I can't seem to put the pin where I want it to go.

I'm just sick.

How can I fix this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    step back, take a deep breath, and practice some. is there something about the shot that is different from how you practice like shot angle or something?

3. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Set up a stand in your yard or somewhere else and re-create the shot. See if your shooting high because of your bow, your form from the stand or if it's just nerves. That's all the advice I have. But don't give up.

4. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Aim lower. ;) Im sorry to hear about your luck.

5. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nerves bro? Take your time settle that pin, drive it home!! It`ll happen, good things come to those who wait!!!!!

6. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^this...and dont get discouraged...I've missed just as many deer as I've shot...it happens.

7. Nickstuff

Nickstuff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Once I decide its a deer(buck) that I want to shoot, I never look at their head again. Instead, I focus on that spot that I want my arrow to hit, take a deep breath, find my anchor point, and wait for the opportunity to pull the trigger on the release,...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  8. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How high is your stand. 13 yards is pretty close so the angle could be extreme depending on height. Try to practice that shot

9. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like nerves, maybe dropping your bow arm and not bending at the waist. I have missed twice in the same night on the same deer... It will happen, just be patient.

10. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly think I have target panic... I have to force/tell myself to put the pin on the vitals. And even when I do that it feels like I'm forcing it.

I'm going to the local shop tomorrow to see if I can get some guidance.

11. captain71

captain71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are you bending the waist when you shoot?

12. kern06

kern06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Be thankful they were clean misses. Those bucks lived to give you another opportunity down the road. Don't give up. Take these experiences and learn from it. It's all part of this wonderful thing we call hunting.

13. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, at least you see deer!! Sat for 6 hours today.. no Deer :(
    T

14. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer man, and I hate to tell you this, but with 2 misses in 3 weeks I have no choice but to add you to the list of Premature E rackulators along with my son ruttnutt who lost a 163" 8pt to a neighbor and shot a 180'' above the spine at about 10 yards in the same season, Tony who missed the same buck 3 times the same day and several others on this forum we wont go into detail on at this time.

All kidding aside, lower the weight on your bow pick a spot preferably on a deer target and just hold on it, dont shoot just hold on it, let it down and do it all over again. Good luck.

15. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure you are bending at the waist or your angles will be all messed up, by this I mean instead of bringing your bow arm down to compensate for the angle, draw normal and just simply can't like you can't move your arms so you have to bend foward at the waist to get the shot you want. And also practice practice practice

16. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tell yourself "follow through" over and over before you release.

17. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear about your luck , I used to suffer the same problem . I couldn't shoot anything not even a doe for all the excitement .

After several years of not shooting anything , I started telling myself that I didn't want to shoot whatever deer was coming in . I just kept repeating it in my head for whatever reason , wasn't big enough , didn't want to drag one that far , etc. Then as the deer got close enough for a shot , I'd see if I could just get my bow drew on the deer and once the pin was settled I'd say .....oh what the heck and release the arrow.

That worked for me for a lot of years but you need to find some way to postpone the bad case of nerves until after the shot . After several successful hunts you'll have the confidence needed to not have to worry about the pre shot jitters.

Good luck !!

18. mikeb75

mikeb75 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks but like others said at least it's a clean miss! But what works for me is once I decide too shoot, I take my focus off of the antlers and put all of my attention on a small spot behind the shoulder. And take a deep breath. Aim small miss small, hope this works for you.

19. semper

semper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just shot my first buck with a bow and what I did was just focus on the brown spot I wanted to hit. I swear when I shoot anything with a rifle I shake. I even get all excited when I am aiming at a squirrel. When my buck stepped out all I did was forget the head and pick my spot. I didnt shake at all, my heart wasnt even pounding.

20. Panacea Nike

Panacea Nike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I completely missed the first 3 deer I ever shot at with a bow, I felt like you and almost gave up. I practiced hard and was deadly at shooting targets and could not understand why I would always shoot over the deer. One day I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I had a doe at inside of 20 yds, in the excitement all of the technique I had in practice went out the window. When I drew back trying to stay calm and putting the pin in the sweet spot I realized I was not looking through my peep site, I was just looking past my sting at my pin. That was my problem, I adjusted looked through my peep and let the arrow fly. That was my first bow kill and since that day I always tell myself to take my time, calm down and follow the same steps I take when shooting at a target. I haven’t missed since I realized I was looking past my peep, not that I will not miss again. So don’t give up Just take you time and figure out what your issue is and correct it.