"It's just a meat buck"...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Backcountry, Oct 2, 2014.

1. carbon-arch

carbon-arch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great post Backcountry. It`s disrespectful to the animal IMHO.

2. Mnrecurve

Mnrecurve Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    it is about the journey! Well said...

3. kern06

kern06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I needed to hear this. Thank you for posting.

4. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't have said it better , awesome post !!!

5. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know this sounds crazy to some.....I couldn't care less about a buck. I'm hunting for groceries. The way I look at it I prefer a large but still on the young side animal. I'm more than happy to let others get the bucks. I do however get a combo tag every year because I'm not going to pass up a buck either. I'm grateful for any animal that gives me the ability to feed my family.

I live in a small house. I don't have room to mount antlers. I do however have enough room to add a freezer if needed. If my sons ever get a buck and want it mounted, we'll make room on the walls, but I simply don't care about it.

Great post Dave.

6. Meathunter

Meathunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    great post!

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've written about this so many times and 100% agree! It is frustrating to see it played out when guys/gals feel they need to justify a deer they've harvested. Be happy and proud for it is an accomplishment and should need no justification or excuse. Be happy with what you've done and if you aren't change your mindset or approach but never make excuses which are not needed!

8. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great post! My first mule deer I shot was a fork horn but to me he is a 200"! It was such a fun and amazing hunt and harvesting a deer was just an added bonus.

9. olddognewbie

olddognewbie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Recently I posted a thread and stated that I did not take pictures because it was "just a doe". Actually I was and am very proud of my kill, and the full freezer, but I didn't feel the need, desire, or the right to brag or boast about my hunting success without a major rack to accompany my story. This thread is exactly what I needed because I am always looking to better myself, and my attitude....From now on no one will ever hear me say that again.
    Thanks to the original poster, and the great comments, for knocking some sense into an old dog that needed it. (me) I never thought about the statement being disrespectful to the animal I harvested...only that I really had nothing to mount on the wall, so therefore nothing much to brag about.

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not all places but this is one that if you post a picture of a doe or "small" buck and someone blasts you trust me he will be outnumbered and "given the business" very fast. This is a collection of the higher bowhunting gene pool from my experiences.

11. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting turned into a weiner comparison sport the moment people started putting it on TV.

The first time someones "idol" passed up a buck because it was (too small, too young, not big enough) the trend began.

This site is a great place where you can celebrate your kill, reguardless of size, and thats a great thing.

Id refrain from posting poached gamebirds or high fenced deer though.