Rage surprised me this morning

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Trailman, Sep 29, 2014.

1. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love Rage

2. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What he said. Congrats on a deer down, did the broadhead really make that deer die or would any fixed blade cause that? Maybe. Now you got one down when that big old bruiser buck come on through make sure he is quartering away slightly or broadside when shoot. If that was a bruiser buck you would have no way to get it mounted. But I'm not trying to be bashful, so congrats on a deer down and best of luck for the rest of the season

3. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Jeffrey love ya man but you slide any broadhead through a main artery along the neck it will take them down and do so fast...not just rage....AND FOR THOSE READING THIS I AM NOT ADVOCATING NECK SHOTS, NO LOGICAL HUNTER PURPOSELY TRIES TO TAKE THEM (I know you didn't Jeffrey just to be clear :) )

Everything can and should be learned from, it is a lower percentage shot. As stated none of us were up the tree with him (or on the ground) but it is a safe bet and a good recommendation to suggest waiting for higher percentage. I've heard guys take frontal or rear-end shots and the deer die....doesn't make it a good choice. Now this shot choice is not nearly as bad as what those two are, but honestly trailman has taken the suggestions and praises for a successful hunt very well and acknowledges perhaps the shot was forced and not the best choice.

In the end deer is down, hunter is happy and freezer is filling...that is worthy of congrats. Some people just need to learn not all congrats deserve praise and not all things praised always deserve congrats.

5. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your absolutely right Ty I wud never take a neck shot lol there is to much meat around that area to ruin I usually make a stew with the neck meat I clean it right down to the bone but ur right its never a gud shot choice this year im striving to make clean ethical kills preferably broadside or quartering away. Anything can happen tho. When I did I said to myself wow that had to hurt. But when it hit him hr didnt make a sound just dropped dead probably tired from chasing doe. 15 min later climbed down tagged him an went home this buck was the biggest body I killed in 2013 [​IMG]

6. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Head shots can also be lethal. By your logic, we should also congratulate anyone that kills deer with head shots. It was successful right?

There are many reasons to question or critique shots that end in success. Many poor percentage shots can and do end with a dead deer, but it does not mean they are ethical choices or should be celebrated. The OP seems to understand how lucky he was and will likely be more aware of shot selection in the future.....as we all should.

I firmly believe that the hardest thing for a bowhunter to overcome is the urge to take a shot every time a target animal is within range. Getting to full draw is only one piece of the puzzle. It does not mean there will be an opportunity to release the arrow. A lot of people panic at the thought of not letting the arrow go and punch the trigger anyway. Even when the situation does not warrant the shot. Sometimes you have to be able to watch the animal walk off, let the bow down, and hope for a better opportunity later.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well he was offered advice and responded, some dead horses don't need to be beat that much. In the end the shot was successful. Plus this was not a first time hunter shaking in the stand, experienced hunters can take some shots that new hunters can't

8. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    How much experience do I need for head shots? What about quartering too? How about the straight away Texas heart shot? Maybe I am missing out on some great opportunities that I'm not aware of. I do have a lot of experience. Perhaps those shots will end in success for me and I can be heaped with praise for killing another deer.

I think you get my point. If not, no bother. I wouldn't want to argue with a successful shot.

9. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Can ≠ Should

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I know a guy who hunted my land years ago who shot a deer in the neck, it was the only shot the deer gave him he took it and recovered the deer. The guy is an excellent hunter and a guy who can shoot well and practices. I have no issue with him taking that shot. As far as a texas heart shot well that ruins meat so it is not right the head shot, is bone hard bone never an advised shot with an arrow. There are no absolutes in deer hunting and shooting deer with arrows, some quartering to shots can be taken and work out just fine if the arrow takes the intended path

11. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Then you know a guy that cant resist taking a poor percentage shot. He panicked at the thought of not getting a suitable shot. The ability of the archer has nothing to do with the ethics of shooting a deer in the neck with an arrow. Nothing.

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting because some say a 60-70 yard shot with a bow in unethical, yet for an experienced elk hunter it is an excellent shot that can only be learned thru practice and experience.

13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    neck shots ruin meat...and actually a texas heart shot slid directly in from the rear poasses up through between most every bit of meat....just sayin.

14. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I bet they don't take it quartering to...seriously Sota you are an enigma I can't figure out.

15. fletch920

Dislikes Received:

Are they aiming for the neck? Is it quartering too? Do they have enough punches in their "experience" card?

Some say neck shots are okay too apparently. I say that kind of shot is for slobs that are more worried about the deer getting away without getting a shot than they are for making a clean, ethical kill.

I can guarantee a neck shooter would not get an invite back to my properties. To each his own.

16. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I personally am a fan of head shots.... PICT0012.jpg

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Really but some would consider bladder and intestinal cuts to taint the meat....just saying

18. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Heart and lungs. Just sayin'......

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ethics are a slippery slope espically when you are preaching your ethics to another. I myself would not take a neck shot, or a texas heart shot nor a head shot. I would consider a quartering to shot but it would depend on many factors like range and is the deer alert and what is the angle, to be honest because I use a mechanical I can't push the limits of the angle. By taking a differing stance I am not saying I would take the shots myself, but not willing to beat a guy down if the outcome was favorable on a quartering to shot

20. bowhunterjohn

bowhunterjohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rages never surprise me.. they are awesome.... here is my testimony video

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017