NC Bowhunting Forum

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by ncBowhunter, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All this year since opening day.

2. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    PM me. I can give you a number to a friend of mine who is an official P&Y, B&C and NCBA scorer. If nothing else get your name in the books of the NC records.

That's a super nice deer. I'd be proud to shoot that one for sure!

3. zjohn14

zjohn14 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good to see that some ppl are having luck. It's been really hard up my way there is just to much food right now IMO big bucks ant having to move I do believe the deer herd is going be really healthy however

4. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How good do you know Todd Lowe? He's been all around NC. I've hunted with him, still hunt the same properties that he "killed" 2 P&Y's off of; yet running 15 cameras nobody ever seems to be able reproduce the results. I grew up and still do hunt the exact ridge he killed one deer on. In 30 years there's never been a deer that big seen or killed in the area but on the first hunt he killed a P&Y. Call it jealousy, but something isn't exactly right....

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  5. JrO

JrO Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Right here......

6. JrO

JrO Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing but does in my neck of the woods.....Had some good pictures before the season started, however they seem to have started moving more at night around here. I was in the woods the other night and it sounded like it was raining....It was nothing but Acorns.

7. Spear Chukker

Spear Chukker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing but does so far in the foothills. I've shot 2 already and have had as many as 5 at a time on my game camera. I'm new to bow hunting. When does the rut start?

8. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know Todd personally but, I know a few that do. After hearing some of them talk, I'm not sure I want to know him or maybe I do to figure out a few tails I've been told. I'm hearing he may be of questionable character but, I really can't say until I meet him and talk to him some. One day I will though I'm sure. The deer from this year he killed is the only one in question as far as the 3 seen here. I'm trying to get my hands on pics of another one I just heard about. So far no one has produced pics.

I know some people who rank pretty high in the North Carolina Bow Hunters Association and talk to one on a regular basis. I also know nearly all of the shop owners within a 2 hour radius of Salisbury so I hear a lot about a lot. Sometimes it's nice, sometimes it's not.

Like the 180+ typical which would have been the new state record that was poached off of the Phillip Morris property in Concord last year. Shot trespassing with a rifle in bow season. I hate hearing stories like that. The story goes he was a younger guy that had asked on many occasions to hunt the property. They refuse to let people hunt it which isn't good for the herd of course but, some tree huger somewhere has a say in it and isn't allowing anyone on the property. Anyways, another story for another time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Here is another good one. I know this kid personally and he held out for 2 seasons to kill this NC toad as his very first bow kill. Kid has skills as far as shooting. He won a lot of tourneys this year including the State ASA in his class.

[​IMG]

10. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    My wife hunted yesterday morning and had 3 does come within 45yd. One turned like she was going to come right down her path but, the other 2 kept walking. The one turned around and followed them.

I was going to go this morning but, I woke up completely exhausted. We moved last weekend and I worked my tail off at work this week and haven't recovered from moving. I couldn't get out of bed so I didn't make it out. This evening I was kicking myself when we drove past a field not far from the house at 5:30 to see a bunch of deer grazing. I know they were moving and I would have more than likely had a shot at one today. Things should be back to normal for me in the next couple weeks and the hunting hard will commence.

11. mayday

mayday Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone else having no luck? I've been out a bit, and I can't seem to get my stand in the right place. With blaze coming in on Saturday I don't think I'll get a chance to get anthing. I'm not complaining too much because this is my first time back at it since after an 8 year break, but I didn't think I was that bad off. I did scouting for rub lines and found some food plots and bedding areas but nothing seems to move during the day. I'm about to start ground stalking archery only areas.

12. DJinNC

DJinNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I too am having a hard time in places that are easy early season freezer fillers. That being said, only been out a few times (work) but not many deer or heavy signs. Woods are loaded with acorns. BIG acorns. Many look untouched. I'm thinking so many people are having a hard time hunting this year because the mast is unbelievable. Deer won't have to move much so I am preparing for a very slow season. I did run across an albino buck while driving home!!!! saw it a few years back and though it was a small doe, obviously wrong. He's a good 6-8 point and healthy now. That aside I had one sit last week (10/10) where a doe came flying under my stand chased by what I believe was a young buck. I did not have time to get a good look let alone draw the bow.

I have reserved vacation days for the best lunar dates in late October and early November :) I will be bow all season. As the orange army moves onto gamelands I'll either go to places climbing stands can't or hunt the archery zones.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  13. mayday

mayday Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hunting fort Bragg land now, they've got pictures of some monster 10 pointers that in would love to put in the back of my truck. Wife doesn't think I can do it. Going to start bringing everything to work and have a few "late work days" haha. I do get vacation in a couple weeks so maybe the rut will help me.

PS didn't see a single deer today. Although I did have a buck respond to my grunt tube down wind from me. I'm changing my spot next time since I know his path now.

14. Lucky

Lucky Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Same here is lee county. Weather has been unpredictable and hard to hunt

15. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    My wife and I have been seeing them. Shot one Saturday morning in Rowan county. Finally got a stand placed right.

16. Tucker Miller

Tucker Miller Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Any one on here having any luck this year? I hunt the Marine bases and everything Ive seen has been on my trail cams (all at night).

17. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Tucker, try mid day sits and see if that helps. I've been starting to see them later in the day lately. Just seen one out in a field at 10:00am this morning on our way to church. I'm in Rowan county but, I've had others in other counties saying they are experiencing the same thing.

18. DJinNC

DJinNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been blanked.... saw four does cross but nothing after. I took three days off during the "ideal period" November 5, 6, 7, 8... great weather saw Nothing in areas I know are usually loaded with does/bucks. I could not even find a rub line!!!! I found one well used run and some scat. Ispokewith a biologist this AM andhe said the populations in Durham, Granville, Wake, Vance, Halifax, Warren, Franklin have likely been hit pretty hard by EHD. The huge acorn mast probably means they don't have to move much as well (even folks I know that bait are not seeing much). There were a few kills of 30+ deer found along the Tar, Flat, Eno and Upper Neuse. Probably many more un noticed. There is a farm across from my office, usually we see 15-30 deer out there especially during gun season as it is a relatively safe area. NOTHING not one this year (franklin county).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  19. tlrfshr

tlrfshr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone seen anything lately? I've seen plenty of does but not a buck during the evening / morning hunting times. My camera is showing nothing but bucks late at night and really early in the morning. Does seem to be traveling in packs of 5-8 or at least from what I saw tonight while I was hunting.

Gonna go back out in the morning. Any ideas on whats going on right now?

20. zjohn14

zjohn14 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting has been good my way seeing many young bucks an does with yr-lings but still got to hunt hard an smart for the big boys