** Official Midwest/West Team Thread**

Discussion in 'Other Deer Contests' started by bowhunter448, Aug 5, 2014.

1. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice buck Shannon!

2. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ahh nice. Ive heard of some pretty nice deer that have been taken up there

3. NebBowhunter

NebBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here is another one

There are some nice deer around there. Up closer to the river they are a little bigger. I will go up there and hunt a couple days but don't run any camera's there.
    Ryan #3 242.jpg

4. NebBowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I did manage to get this on camera also. Don't know what I would think if I saw this while out hunting. It's looking like it could be a great year of hunting.

Rock Creek Feeder 1731.jpg

5. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome! Buffalo are big animals.

6. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Our hunt will be DIY. Hopefully I get another Elk this year.

Usually it's just me and dad. This will be my bro in laws first hunt ever. (He was there when I killed my elk last year just wasn't hunting). I have a 4 year old boy who hunts with me as much as possible. He was with me when I arrowed my mule deer last year. I think he's just a little to small for 16 days in the Rockies.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  7. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I know that my kids want to go. Sounds like you're going to have a great time.

8. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Mine did much better last year that I thought he would. Where we mule deer hunt isn't easy walking and he kept up just fine. One thing about hunting with him is I don't expect to kill anything. Just going at his pace and letting him learn.

9. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking of maybe taking him scouting with us.

10. NebBowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My son spent the week with me scouting and he loved it. You have to plan to not get as much done as you would like it but its worth it. Hopefully you will have a hunting partner in him for a long time.

11. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking my early scouting would be a prime time to get them out. With our season coming after rifle season, we just scouting locations and trying to gain access.

12. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a few nice deer on cam but I don't like to share pics. some bad things can happen once you start showing everyone big buck pictures.

13. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah. I guess that's the benefit to not having a lot of hunters from Nevada on here. :)

14. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I got out for a little twilight shooting. Wasn't as accurate as I wanted, but that wasn't the point. I was able to focus on my form and I am a little off.

15. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Got out scouting tonight with Britney and the granddaughter. Christine got to see her first coyote and a few deer. I got to see one of the big bucks we will be chasing. :) We had a pretty good time.

Tim

16. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice! Have any pictures?

17. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not of him. He is in an area where we stay out of unless we are hunting. I long range scout it with a spotting scope. I won't even put a trail camera close to his area. I don't want him pressured at all nor do I want others seeing me in that area. We've got too many big mouth locals that like flapping their lips. The only way we get a picture of him is to kill him first. :)

Tim

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  18. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Dang. Most of the guys that I talk to here usually show picture or offer advice on where to go.

19. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I try not to show too many pictures until after October. We have most of September to take advantage of our summer scouting so I stay pretty tight lipped about it even on the forum. Once the duck hunters start running all over the place in October and pressuring the deer into hiding or into other areas... it hardly matters. I've had guys move into our spots after they find out the kids and I shot a good buck over the years so I am a bit paranoid. For the last 10 years or so... if the kids or I shot a buck... we never tell anyone here where we kill them or even see them. While I detest lieing... I am a firm believer in misleading, being vague or just not answering the question on what we are seeing or what we are killing.

From what I've seen over the years... people who move in on you are usually lazy, crappy, blundering hunters and will screw the area up. We put too much time and energy into it to have someone else wreck it. We have quite a few of them around here.

20. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This buck pictured below was a prime example. I told one person ( boss ) that I shot him. He told two people. One blabbed it all over. He called a couple landowners that I had permission for to let them know I might have killed it on their land just to cause trouble for me. They called to let me know what he was up to. My daughter had kids of his friends coming up to her in school and asking her where I shot it. He was asking me and I knew he would tell everyone so I finally told him an off beaten place that was void of deer just for the fun of it. Come rifle season... his buddies just pounded the living heck out of the area. He is the jealous type and loved every minute of it because he thought he was getting me... so he thought. :evilgrin: :lol:

The second guy my boss told... called me to make sure I didn't kill it on his property. Then he whined about how it was unfair that the bow hunters get such a long season to hunt and the rifle hunters didn't. How the bow hunters got to kill all the big bucks before rifle season started. He was a rifle hunter. Had to laugh at the end when he finally quit whining... he told me I could still bow hunt his property.

I got tired of hearing... I heard you shot a big buck... where did you kill it at ?? It was always the first question out of their mouths. It is just better to keep quiet and play it safe.

[​IMG]